3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming guide killed, Bowhunter mauled by grizzlies  (Read 2218 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming guide killed, Bowhunter mauled by grizzlies
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »
Wyoming guide dead after bear attack; Florida hunter hurt

“Save
Sep 15, 2018 at 6:05 PM
Associated Press

Wyoming guide dead after bear attack; Florida hunter hurt

JACKSON — Wyoming authorities say a hunting guide has been found dead after he and a client were attacked by a bear.

The Jackson Hole News & Guide reports the body of 37-year-old Mark Uptain was found Saturday.

Teton County spokesman Billy Kirk said the client, Corey Chubon of Florida, suffered leg, chest and arm injuries and was flown to a Jackson hospital.

The newspaper reported he left the hospital Saturday.

His hometown wasn’t listed.

Authorities said Chubon was bowhunting and shot an elk Thursday, but he and Uptain could not find the animal until Friday. They were preparing to pack it out that day when they were charged by two bears.

Kirk said one of the bears attacked Uptain and then Chubon. He says Chubon was able to flee and phone for help.

My comment:
Grizzlies are a real problem in northwest Wyoming, but the tree huggers have more empathy for them than the humans that hike, hunt and fish the back country. Eco groups recently stopped a grizzly hunt in the area. I guess that they are cheering for the bears in this situation. Much to their chagrin, Game and Fish found and killed the offending bears.
May the guide Rest In Peace, and the hunter fully recover .
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming guide killed, Bowhunter mauled by grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
Very sad.  It is sad the anti's will cheer the guide got killed too.  Prayers for the lost and the hunter recovery as well!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
I can just see the comments about how it's too bad the bears didn't kill the hunter as well. Sad that I don't have to wonder if it will happen but just know that it will.
Glad the hunter got away and hope he recovers. That's sad about the guide though.

Hopefully the grizzly hunt this year will be a step in the right direction and maybe prevent future incidents like this. From the sound of it it may have been a sow with a cub?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:00:13 PM »
Prayers for both........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

pavan

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
The neighborhood libtard told me about it.  She said that  Uptain, the guide, was attacked first, then the hunter, the hunter had a pistol, got free of the bear tossed the pistol to Uptain and then ran for help.  She said that she hoped the that they missed the bear.  I am betting that she will not be talking to me again, anytime soon.   Apparently, she read it on Yahoo news or something like that.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:39:01 PM »
Very unfortunate and reminiscent of PH that was killed by an elephant and cheered by wackos.  I am not sure why the guide wasn't carrying bear spray, or a weapon himself, while guiding in Grizzly country.  Bears are known to stake out a kill when they find it first and should be expected.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
Very unfortunate and reminiscent of PH that was killed by an elephant and cheered by wackos.  I am not sure why the guide wasn't carrying bear spray, or a weapon himself, while guiding in Grizzly country.  Bears are known to stake out a kill when they find it first and should be expected.
From the article I read,  when they found the elk on Friday there were no bears on the carcass.  The bears came up on them while they were quartering it out.
One bear attacked the guide,  client grabbed his pistol but said he didn't have a clear shot.  Bear then came after him and grabbed him by the foot and mauled him. He threw the pistol to the guide.
Bear then went back after the guide and the client ran for help. The second bear did not attack either hunter during this exchange, just the one bear.  They weren't able to find the guide until the next day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:08:00 AM »
I read it on buckrail.com, paper out of Jackson area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:40:03 AM »
There's a reason those bastard went extinct in the first place. The family of the guide are in my prayers.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©