3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dumb Question - Mouth Turkey Calls  (Read 513 times)

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
Dumb Question - Mouth Turkey Calls
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »
I am wondering. I'd really like to try using a mouth  turkey call. But I am always afraid I might choke on the darn thing. You folk that use them. What are your opinions on using a mouth call? Hard to learn? Advantages? Disadvantages, if any?
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dumb Question - Mouth Turkey Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
They just take time to learn to use.  I keep one in my mouth during my hunts even if I'm using a box or slate call.  That way when the bird gets in close I can still call without extra movement and I can keep my hands on my bow preparing for a shot.  I find I can use 2-3 reed mouth calls best.

Offline Buckhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I used to use them. They take a little gettin used to. I couldn't stand the "buzzing"    :scared:   - it tickled the roof of my mouth. Plus the fact I use smokeless tobacco (yes, I know Its filthy & I should quit   "[dntthnk]"   ) and it would get between the reeds and cause problems.

I now use a slate and/or box until they're in close and I've got one of those push button box calls that I can use with very little movement. Good Luck/
Mark

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
I prefer to use them over other calls.  when not in use, I keep em between my cheek and gum (like a wad of tobacco).  I like them because:

-there is almost no movement
-you can control the volume from whisper quiet to very loud
-you can reproduce every call from purrs, to yelps to even gobbles
-hands are completely free
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Hickstick took the words right outta' my mouth!
They just take some getting used to...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Single reed diaphram, trim to fit the roof of your mouth. You can purr, yelp, putt and cackle very easily....it also makes a great elk call.

Keeps your hands free for bow shooting which is key. Also, after a days use, I slip a small toothpick between the latex to dry it out.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bentstick_55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Primos now makes one with a built-in dome that fits into the upper pallet. I think this would be a great call to learn on.
The greatest words a man can hear are, "Will you take me with you Daddy"????

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks, Gents! Any chance of choking on these things?     :saywhat:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
I'm with buckhammer- skoal gets in the way...
but they are my main go to call.  When crunch time comes- I spit the skoal out and go to work...
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:07:00 AM »
What Hickstick said. They take some geeting used to but hey, thousands of guys and gals have. IMO they're by far the most versatile calls. Once you overcome your gag reflex you'll be ok. Personnaly I think the chance of choking on one is slim.(nut)  :D    :bigsmyl:    :D
Rich Potter

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Steve, One of my favorites is the Quaker Boy "Beginners Double" it has 2 very thin latex reeds,and is very easy to use.(I've been using this call for 10-15 years,and it's still one of my favorites) I tell everyone.....Pop one in your mouth and walk around with it.You'll be making "noises" in a couple days,Turkey noises within a week,and you should be pretty darn good within a month.

If you get one now (Dick's has them in stock) you'll be ready by Turkey Season!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Only chance of swallowing them is if you call in a humongous gobbler and get all choked up. :)  When your not calling they should be between your cheek and gum. Small chance of swallowing there. Try them you will like them.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
I use to have a problem gaging on them. I just bought a Primoss package that has three calls in it. The small on solved all my problems. If they don't fit they don't work.

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 01:04:00 AM »
Best way to get used to them is to put it your mouth dont try and call but learn to talk with it in. when you can talk with it without slobering and can control it in your mouth then start learning to call. By far the most versatal call leaves you hands free to ready for the shot.  :campfire:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks, guys... I stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods on the way home from work last night. And bought the H.S. Strut 3 Call package with the CD. So I can listen to the CD and practice in the SUV on the way to and from work each day. The Dick's "hunting pro" said to me, don't be surprised if you wind up spitting it out accidentally on the dashboard now and then,   :saywhat:   but at least you'll save grace with your family by not practicing in the house!     :biglaugh:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 09:12:00 AM »
Yeah,practice in the house and you might not make it till season!!
 Another thing to consider,you can run it and a box or slate etc. together to simulate 2 hens arguing,can drive a gobbler NUTS!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I practice all year. I keep a diaphram call in the house, truck and use them all the time. You should see the looks I get at stoplights. LOL. Got my three year old granddaughter working the slate now. Her mother seems to be happy because she said she really owes me one. That's a nice girl right there. LOL

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Benha.. you got that right! My grand daugther will be two in June. Hmmmm.... maybe another year or two.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
Well.....I think you better wait awhile there Steve.....

I gave Kevin my old "fool-proof" box call when he was about 3.....

yelp,yelp,yelp.....SNAP!!!!! (Gee Dad.....I didn't know this was a 2 piece call.....)

Have fun!!!!! We'll have to get together.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Trim 'em up or use the youth models. K&H have some new ones out that are smaller than most. Good luck !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©