3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs and Javelina Tradgang hunt.  (Read 13464 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs and Javelina Tradgang hunt.
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »
Blaino....I'm emailing you another email address to try....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 12:57:42 AM »
Any tradgangers looking to go Feb 10-14th? That's my off weekend and I might could make this work, but I'd like to go with some like-minded folks!

Gonna run it by the wife tomorrow.

I might be up for that week.  Like you, I need to see if my wife will be able to take off and stay home with my offspring.  Will be watching this.  I miss that area. 

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
TTT

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
I spoke too soon, I'll still be in Hawaii celebrating our 20th anniversary with the bride. You all have fun and I'll join the next time.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »
Mr. Berger,

Info may be forthcoming but, will we be hunting stands over bait, stalking or can we choose to do either?  Also interested in night hunting, I assume that would be from stands.  Do we need red lights for that?  Thanks,  8 weeks to go which is just around the corner.

BT

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
We run around 50 baits on these ranches, probably a few more this year with the additional 30 sections we are adding along the Pecos river.    There will be all kinds of setups at these bait sites.  Some tripod stands, double bull blinds, pit blinds dug into the bank of the ponds, and brush blinds made up of piled up mesquite or whatever else is handy.  There will likely be more than one blind to sit at your bait, it is up to you to figure out which way the wind is blowing and pick a seat that is downwind.   Sometimes it might even be better to not sit in the blind.  If you can back away from the feeder a 100 yards or so and still keep the feeder in sight you can watch the hogs as they come in to eat.  Sometimes they will circle the bait site (and the blinds) several times trying to pick off a hunter before they commit to start feeding.  Once they let their guard down to come in to the bait and you can hear them start cracking the corn you can slip in on the bare sand, keeping downwind from them and get within comfortable shooting distance. When they get preoccupied with finding the corn you have a much better chance of shooting them.

A hog is every bit as wary as an old whitetail buck.  He has big ears that allow him to hear everything and a nose capable of smelling a worm a foot underground or you from 100 yards away if the wind is right.  Don't be fooled that they can't see either.  A hog has an eyeball that looks eerily similar to a humans and has as good of vision as you or me, not as good as a deer but they aren't blind either.  I suspect they probably get nearsighted as they get older but don't depend on it.  I would recommend that you don't wander too far and wide or you will scare away more hogs than you see.   We put a lot of effort into keeping the hogs coming back to the baits and not running them off the ranch.   I have to ask how many big old whitetail bucks you have killed stalking whitetails in ankle deep dry oak leaves.  Probably zero.  Texas is pretty dry and if you are not sticking to the bare sand (which is not practical or possible in a lot of places) you will be making way too much noise to have any expectation of being successful in stalking up on hogs.  If you are wanting to do some spot and stalk hunting  you should probably hunt down along the Pecos river instead of the bait sites we cultivate.

We have to hunt Javelina during the daylight hours.  They are a game animal, no night hunting and no dogs, game and fish have rules about that.   We will corn the roads in areas where Javelina are known to frequent or you can sit blinds at waterholes in those same areas and will have a decent opportunity at getting one in the daylight.  Hogs on the other hand are not subject to the limitations of such rules.   We bait them, trap them, hunt them at night and use dogs on them.  They are frequently nocturnal, more often than not.  While we have guys that kill some hogs during the day or evening before dark there will be much more action after the sun goes down.  Go hunting prepared to stay out a couple hours after sunset.   A bow mounted light will help.  A red filter or green filter will diminish the effect of the light on scaring the hogs.  A good technique to use is to point your bow towards the heavens when you turn the light on and lower it to focus on the hog.  Hogs don't tend to notice this as much as just pointing the light at the hog and turning it on.  When the light comes on abruptly most of the time the hogs will blow out of the area from the light coming on pointed at them.  If it is slowly lowered on to them they do not hardly seem to notice.  Get yourself a bow light and practice with it.

Hog hunting can be a lot of fun.  There is a learning curve however.  Some folks are better at it than others.  Most of our clients are regulars that have been hunting with us for a long time, some of them for 10 years.  The guys that keep coming back to hunt with us year after year are kind of hooked on it and keep on thinking of better ways to kill hogs on their next trip.  They also tend to kill more hogs than the novice hog hunters do.  You have to start somewhere I guess.  We will try to give you every opportunity to get on some pigs, and we hope you enjoy the trip.  We do have a lot of birds (doves and quail) in west Texas.  If you are interested in some bird hunting we can send you to the fellow that has the lease for the bird hunting. Everything is leased in Texas. 

Send me a PM or post here if you have more questions.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
Forgot to say  We do have room for 2 or 3 more guys for this week and some for the following week of Feb 10.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.  Reads like a huntin story.  I've kill a number of hogs but that don't mean I know anything.

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2018, 08:37:42 AM »
Sure would like to return always enjoyed my 3 previous trips to Crane Tx. but now days  I'm mother's care taker so hunting has been very limited

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »
Hello Frank,

You need to take care of mom while you can.  We would be happy to see you again whenever you can make it.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 08:29:01 PM »
Getting Short.  I just love killing Pigs!

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Ever since the passing of our friend Andrew Harper (Wild Things)  Ive been thinking of alternatives. Has anyone ever flown in from the Northeast(ny) ? Any input would be appreciated

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2018, 05:36:25 PM »
Midland/Odessa Airport is fairly large so the chance of getting a reasonable round trip ticket is good.  Course, Amarillo has a large airport and that would be a longer drive.  You'd just have to check rates.

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2018, 09:48:48 PM »
Thanks. Just checked the rates for a round trip to midlands. Definately affordable!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
I'm getting antsy. I think we still got one more Bunk if anybody wants to join us. We're going to have a blast.

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2018, 12:31:53 PM »
So question for you guys, what lights are you going to use?  Do you use a green headlamp type or attach a flashlight to your bow?  I was messing with my setup with red lights, 1 attached to my bow quiver and a headlamp on my hea but it was just ones I had laying around.

Any brands or specifics you guys use?
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Online Chumster

• BOEUF 2019
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Medic77,

Don't mean to bust into your thread but I was there this past February and everyone was using a green beam light attached to their bows. There were some W Virginia members there that turned me on to attaching the light via a bicycle inner tube to the riser. A really slick and cheap way to affix the light.
I have a Vastfire that I bought off of E_ _ _ for cheap and they are extremely bright.

Hope this helps.
Never wait too long!

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
Medic77,

Don't mean to bust into your thread but I was there this past February and everyone was using a green beam light attached to their bows. There were some W Virginia members there that turned me on to attaching the light via a bicycle inner tube to the riser. A really slick and cheap way to affix the light.
I have a Vastfire that I bought off of E_ _ _ for cheap and they are extremely bright.

Hope this helps.

Chumster, not at all.  Exactly the kind of info I was looking for.  Thank you
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2018, 02:27:32 PM »
Thanks for the poop on the light.  Off to ebay I go.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2018, 02:32:27 PM »
Just got a green beam Vastfire - $21.99 and I probably overpaid.

I'm almost as excited about this hunt as I was about my Kodiak hunt................well, almost.  It won't be near as cold and that's a good thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©