3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone want to hunt in Colorado?  (Read 730 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone want to hunt in Colorado?
« on: March 27, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »
I am extending an invitation to any tradganger who would like to share camp with me this year.  I know there are guys out there who would like to try a mountain elk hunt or mule deer hunt here in Colorado.  I'm not looking for a trade-a-hunt, just a hunting partner or two who would like to share a camp.  This would be a backpacking camp set up a few miles from the road.  I would provide the campsite and would share my limited knowledge of hunting these mountains (NOT a guided hunt). This is a limited area and you would need to act fast if you would like to apply for hunting here in unit 20 (deadline is Apr. 1).  Cow tags and most deer tags may be bought leftover for some seasons.  I will PM more info. to the first few guys who respond.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone want to hunt in Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Doug that is an awesome offer but I don't think I cant take you up on it this year.

Let us know who you take and how you do
   :campfire:

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Doug check your pm

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Wow, I didn't know I would get this kind of response in less than an hour.  Here's what I'll do.  I'll start a list with the first ones to PM me (limited to the first 5),and then another list in the order that I get your PM if someone decides not to come or just come for part of the season.  I need to limit this camp to 6 at a time (including me) to keep it from getting too crowded.  The area where camp will be is a chunk of about 6,000 acres of public land.  I will set up the camp close to the road just so everyone can be more mobile and drive to different areas if the game isn't cooperating where camp is.  There is plenty of public land in the area that can be hunted within 15-30 minutes drive from camp.  Archery deer tags for here are always available but you must apply for them (or wait for leftover tags, but I would suggest applying for them) and elk tags are also available without preference points for some archery tags.  There are 3 different archery elk tags for this unit.  Either-sex, Cow, and bull.  Don't even try for a bull-only tag as only 5 are issued and you need at least 3 preference points to draw.  It's kinda confusing so go to the Colorado Division of Wildlife website:  www.wildlife.state.co.us  for all info. on applying for tags.  You can apply and pay for tags on-line.  Oh, you must have a hunter education card to hunt in Colorado if born after 1949. There are a lot of regs and I want everyone in my camp to abide by them.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to answer all questions so read the regs on line before applying if you're unfamiliar with Colorado game laws.  For instance, party hunting (filling someone else's tag) won't fly here. There are also bear tags for this area that are unlimited with caps (sold over-the-counter until the're gone).  Non-resident Deer tags (either-sex) are $319, NR Elk is $529 for either-sex and $254 for cow tags.  NR bear is $254.  You can get a small game tag but only coyotes and grouse seasons are open in Sept.  Bunny season starts Oct. 1.  The deer and elk archery season this year is Aug. 30- Sept. 28.  Archery bear runs Sept. 2-28.  When applying for tags, make sure you specify GMU (game management unit) 20. This is a CWD area so you must package meat before transporting and you can get animal tested if you desire (for about $20). Tradgangers can stay at my camp for part of the season or the whole season if you want.  I will have to work during part of the season.  
The first 3 on the list are:

Carcajou
Babaloo
sunny hill archer

I would like to keep this camp just for traditional archers so no compounds please.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Remember to apply before Apr. 1...Next Tuesday!  I guess I shuda thought of this a bit earlier.

Offline 2ndxarnd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks Doug, i only wish i could take part. good luck.
Take the time to teach a child.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
Sounds like a dream....good luck guys!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline T-Bone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »
That is a very generous offer.  Good on you Doug!! If I did not have a hunt already planned I would love to join you.  Great luck guys, unit 20 is a great hunting unit.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
OK, here's some more info:  Camp will be set up about 10 miles from Estes Park where I live.  Rocky Mtn. National Park is just west of Estes and is worth seeing if you haven't been.  Lots of animals and great scenic mountains.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
...and more application info: The either-sex archery deer tag # for applying is D-E-020-01-A.  The cow elk tag # is E-F-020-01-A and the either-sex elk tag # is E-E-020-01-A.  You must also buy a $5 Habitat Stamp for each license (up to $10)unless you're over 64 years old.  You won't know if you've drawn a tag until June.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
This is the view from close to where camp will be!!!

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
...and this is the view from camp on a foggy day with some elk sheds that I found there last Sept.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
...that peak in the second picture is where I took the first picture from...

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
This is what can be found here (although this picture was taken in Estes in front of my house :^)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
...and this would be fun to chase too.  This picture was taken close to camp.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
Man I gotta get out there to hunt one of these years....Great pics!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Doug, thank you for your generous offer.  Good luck to whoever goes.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Ok, now there are 3 days left to apply for tags, including today (Sun).  There are OTC units here in Colorado, but these are often crowded and ATV filled.  BTW, in the area where I hunt, no ATVs are allowed on the trails.  There are some hikers that use the trails, but it's usually pretty quiet during bow season.  If anyone has any other questions about this hunt, let me know.  I'll try to check my PMs at least twice a day to answer as quickly as possible.  Doug

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©