3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 'Because they're there'.  (Read 1707 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
'Because they're there'.
« on: September 29, 2018, 03:33:48 AM »
preface-
the following is a transcript of my writings of the NZ adventures of myself, Mark Pitts and the late Paul Rea who sadly passed earlier this year. this story is dedicated to him.

many here will be aware of our past adventures hunting tahr and chamois in NZ.
what follows is a chronological account. the thread relevant to the year will be linked for the sake of the pictures contained therein.   

i hope you enjoy reading it.  :coffee: :campfire:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:46:11 AM by ozy clint »
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 'Because they're there'.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 03:38:51 AM »
'Because they're there'  By Clinton Miller

There they were in all their grandeur, framed by the walls of the valley. Towering spires of rock and ice, uplifted from the sea by tectonic forces over the passing of millennia. I humbly stood before them looking up both in exhilaration and self-doubt. Have I overreached myself here? Will these mountains tolerate my intrusion or beat me back with indignation?

This was the first time any of us had undertaken a hunt of this magnitude. Every aspect was off the scale in comparison to anything we had experienced before, adding to both the excitement and apprehension. Duration, terrain, weather, the animals, all were exotic to us. Until now they were merely subjects we had read about or the topic of conversation with those who had ventured before but now these things were tangible. The duration evident from the weight of our packs, the terrain we could see, the weather we could feel on our skin, only the animals were not yet perceived by our physical senses. We were on the cusp of our own adventure, our own journey and it began with the first footstep towards those towering spires of New Zealand’s Southern Alps.

May 2011-   http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=58938.0
Our party of three, Mark Pitts, Paul Rea and Myself started the hike up a verdant Westland valley in damp conditions so typical of this place. Already we had learnt a lesson; never drive through the night and sleep in the car at the trail head and make final pack arrangements in the morning. It will rain on you while sand flies inflict horrible irritating welts on all exposed and thinly covered skin. It was the mountain’s veritable ‘Welcome to Westland’. Six hours after our late start we stopped and made camp at the confluence of a side creek and the river; a grassy bench with room for two tents that offered a tantalising glimpse of the alpine terrain which we craved.

The next day my right knee had begun to hurt. An old injury inflicted by an axe must have been aggravated, something I had feared might happen at the worst time, such as the beginning of what turned out to be a twelve day hunt. That evening after seven hours of trail we made it to a hut and it was such a relief as I was mentally drained from dealing with bad knee pain. Before leaving the hut the following morning I cut a pole from a tree for use as a walking aid. Never before had I used trekking poles and in my inexperience had shunned them as being a gimmick for hikers. However, they are now an indispensable part of my kit on these hunts.

The trail began to steepen and my knee became increasingly painful and progress would have been near impossible without my makeshift alpenstock. At one particularly bad section of trail I contemplated returning to the hut and resting it but I was encouraged to continue to the next hut and do so there. That day I hobbled over rough terrain, burdened with a heavy pack and a knee I couldn’t bend. It made for the most awkward and painful walk I’ve ever done. Upon reflection it was simply a hardship that had to be overcome; an ordeal that adds more significance to the accomplishment of one’s goal. Mark and Paul continued on the next day to the hunt area while I stayed and rested my knee and resigned myself to a day of mountain solitude at the hut. The firewood shelter became fully stocked and bull tahr were glassed from my temporary home. Either the rest, or the sight of tahr on the bluffs above, perhaps both, acted as a panacea on my knee as it felt better and I planned to try to make it up to the bluffs for a hunt.

That following day however I was introduced to the Westland bush. Never before until then have I encountered scrub anything like what I encountered that day. Every branch of every bush everywhere you turn conspires to thwart the successful passage of a person and it served well its duty of guarding the tops from another hunter. The pain in my knee had returned and I retreated back to the hut, beaten back by the infamous Westland bush.
Mark and Paul were due to return to the hut in the evening of the following day to resupply with food but I contacted them via handheld UHF radio and told them I would walk up to meet them at their camp and bring three days of rations for each of us. The walk up there was most difficult with a leg that could only be partially bent but I made it and I was glad for having made the effort. The scenery alone was worth the pain and the camaraderie almost made it disappear.
We hunted tahr for a day and crawling around the bluffs and standing on the edges of cliff faces looking down upon tahr and glaciers provided the exhilaration for which we had come so far to experience, however that night exhilaration turned to fear. The mountains unleashed a storm that reminds you who is in control. The tent shook violently all night and at times I lay on my back, legs and arms bracing the tent. A paper thin veil of fabric serving as the only barrier between myself and nature’s wrath. That night reinforced the importance of using a shelter that is capable of handling terrible conditions. While a tent capable of such is generally a little heavier, it is a compromise I now gladly accept. The ultralight mentality is trendy and easy to get caught up in, however safety and functionality comes first. Something that is light but doesn’t perform is actually heavy.

We hunted another day then time came to start back to the road end. Three days later we were back in civilisation eating greasy deep fried food from the local takeaway shop; initiation over. This first trip, though unsuccessful only in terms of animals taken, served a great purpose. It was a probation period where the mountains tested our worthiness. Valuable lessons had been learnt about the animals, the country, my gear and myself. Delayed success can be a good thing and with the right attitude it can be used as future motivation to achieve a goal, while magnifying the satisfaction when it is finally accomplished.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 03:43:08 AM »

May 2012- http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=70932.0
A man cannot walk into the mountains and walk out the same man. They invariably leave an indelible impression and as such, he is forever left with a yearning to return. So it was that we found ourselves again walking up the same valley, though with the intention to hunt a different area. This area was accessed by the ascent of a side creek, a new experience for us. A staircase of boulders, randomly placed. To see house sized boulders sitting in a creek bed provokes wonderment at how they came to be there. An event of calamitous erosion causing a boulder weighing perhaps many hundreds of tonnes to be moved from one place to a lower one.

Progress was much better than the previous trip, though the staircase seemed unrelenting. We gained 1400 metres in elevation from the trail head to our top camp and more while hunting. I had no reoccurrence of the knee pain which so greatly affected the first foray into Westland and I was able to move around in the rugged terrain with greater ease and comfort, allowing me to better enjoy the time in the mountains.
It became evident early on that we were in a good area. Both tahr and chamois had been sighted in numbers in areas close enough to hunt from camp. Within the first few days of hunting I experienced four occasions where I thought I might be presented with a shot. Upon cresting the ridge that sheltered our camp, I glassed some tahr on the far side of a large south facing basin which was devoid of all plant life and contained only snow and rock and without hesitation begun the traverse. The tahr were last seen in a saddle and when I climbed the last few metres of the snow filled couloir that led me to it and peered over to the edge, a bull and his harem of nannies were not more than thirty metres beyond. By staying on my side of the ridge and out of sight I was able to gain elevation so as to be above them. A set of boulders provided the only cover, however to get a shot there was no choice but to stand up and be silhouetted. They fed towards me to within twenty metres and as I rose up into a shooting position I knew they would either afford me a couple of seconds of curiosity and a shot, or flee. They fled.

The next day I managed to get close to two different chamois and some tahr. Each encounter went in favour of the animals by way of similar circumstances. I was once fifteen metres from a chamois but couldn’t move into a shooting position without alerting it of my presence. Not long after I crested a ridge and saw a group of tahr feeding within range but I had the same problem as the first tahr encounter, having no choice but to silhouette myself for a shot opportunity. The result was no less spectacular, with tahr running over terrain that only they could run over. Again, shortly after, I stalked a chamois by keeping low, using snow tussock as cover but was undone by the keen eyesight of the chamois. It sensed something was amiss with the unusual lump fifteen metres away in the tussock and moved to safety at a lower elevation.

Two days of fog followed, two days cocooned in a tent. The fog can be a trap in the mountains, seemingly threatening to envelope the tops at any time in a moment’s notice. It is the wise hunter who does not aimlessly wander when the weather is fine but is constantly aware of his surroundings, always taking note of how to get back to camp as if he had to do so in the fog.
On the ninth day we awoke to a fresh fall of snow. The weather had cleared, a welcome change to being fogged in. It was time to hunt and hunt hard. When the weather is good you must hunt.
I had ventured far from camp over the few previous days and that day was no different. We had been glassing chamois the entire trip on a ridge across the face of the range we were on, though none of us knew what lay beyond. All we knew was that there was always chamois over there. I decided to make a day of it, if only to satisfy my curiosity. The snow had made the tussock very slippery and it was hiding the holes between the rocks and clumps of tussock. Slowly I made my way down and crossed the head of the creek that we had used as access from the river. Anticipation was high as I slowly poked my head over a ridge.

Revealed to me were more little spurs and ridges. This looked like country better suited to traditional bowhunting. More broken and not so open like the basin we had been hunting where game can see you from a great distance. The type of topography where you can peer over a ridge and if you don't see something you can simply walk a few hundred metres and enquire as to what is over the next.

I slowly made my way to the next one and peered over........
There, only forty metres away was a lone chamois. I dropped back over the ridge in surprise. “This is the real deal" I thought to myself. “This could be the best chance I might get”.
I dropped my pack and made a start at getting close, using some monkey scrub to climb down a two metre high rock ledge to get on the little spur that led down to where the chamois was. I got to about twenty meters from where it was last seen then waited. Its movement caught my eye then it came into full view and I could tell it was a nanny. As she fed up towards me she looked my way but turned around and fed back down. She was at around fourteen metres, quartering away at a steep downward angle of about forty degrees. The shot was a little further back than I’d wanted and she ran off further downhill and stood on a little knob at thirty metres. I had another shot but missed and she ran off again but stopped about sixty metres away and this time was reluctant to move. Slowly, I managed to move in close then shot her in the lungs. She trotted off about ten metres and went down and not wanting to take any chances on what could be a once in a lifetime occurrence I put one last arrow in her chest.
Then it dawned on me. There was a dead chamois at my feet, a dream had been lived. I knelt down beside her, placed my hand on her soft tan fur and took a moment to give thanks to her and the mountains. The mountains are often reluctant to share their bounty but when they do, it is a moment and a memory that is the hunter’s to keep forever. This was something I had dreamed of doing for years and more importantly I did it in the manner that I had wanted to do it; backpacking in and out with a traditional bow. To do so by other means would be to desecrate the sanctity of my personal journey. I would readily accept failure before success that was gained through not adhering to my own terms; for that would be failure.

The weather turned foul with more snow and a forecast of more rain so we decided to head down off the mountain in case rain melted out the snow and caused the creek to become impassable and at a lower camp we overcame one of Westland’s greatest challenges, we lit a fire. Sitting around a campfire in the wilderness sharing the spoils of a hunt with likeminded people with a common passion for hard won success; need a hunter ask for more?
Again we walked out to the trail head, back to a rushing world and when in sight of the car I turned around, taking one last look back to where I’d been and paused for a moment to ponder just how, in all that space, a hunter and an animal had come to be so close to each other. A collision of two worlds. I had taken part of her from the mountains and the mountains had taken part of me, a part of my being.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:48:44 AM »
May 2013- http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=82162.0
When in the mountains a man is whole once more. Mark and I had again returned seeking adventure and the mountains didn’t disappoint. We decided to use a different creek to access the same area but soon learnt that not all Westland creeks are created equal. At first, progress was good and spirits were high and we gained elevation as easily as could be expected. On the second night we were camped on a ledge in the creek, now regarded by Mark and I as the best camp of all our New Zealand hunts thus far. In fine weather there is much appeal in a simple floorless tarp camp. We cut ferns and laid them on the rocks to smooth them out a little and simply laid out our bivy bags. Mark’s Kifaru Supertarp provided excellent shelter and the way we had it pitched with no sides on the ground was a welcome change to the confines of a tent.

The day that followed was a true introduction to the Westland bush. Not long after leaving camp we encountered a series of impassable cataracts, with entering the bush being the only option that offered progress. At first it was reasonable and although the grade was steep the bush wasn’t too thick but as the bush line got closer, it seemed to get further away. The bush became progressively thicker to the point where the only way through was on hands and knees, sometimes dragging our packs behind us. In the mid-afternoon, six hours after leaving camp, I stumbled upon a tiny lumpy mound smaller than a tent that was devoid of bush and we decided to camp in a small hollow in the bush close by. In that six hours we had travelled seven hundred metres horizontally and three hundred metres in elevation and as if to torment us, the tussock was in view from our little mound, the only time since entering the bush that we were able to see more than twenty metres.

Two more hours of struggling through bush the following day and we had made it back into the creek above the obstacle which had caused the unwelcome detour. Dwelling in the creek bed for a few moments, we filled our water bladders and regained our composure, the tussock now a short hike further up. I was welcomed to the tussock by a beautiful chamois buck. I had just reached a small knoll and paused to take a breath and there he was, looking at me from within range of my bow but alas, it was still stowed in my backpack safe from the bush. He lingered a short time then proceeded to amaze me with his agility and grace by running up a near vertical slope to gain the safety of the far side of a small ridge.

As has become typical, we found it difficult to find an area suitable to pitch our tent. The weather was becoming foggy and with the time available we were forced to pitch the tent, fly only, on the least rocky and most level area we could find. What followed was the most uncomfortable night either of us has had on the mountain. Mark awoke with crippling back spasms and was confined to the tent for the morning. Luckily the anti-inflammatory tablets I had in my first aid kit had the desired effect. I went for a morning scout around the basin we were in and found an exceptional group of bull tahr. However there was no hope of getting above them without alerting them, so I had to be content with a photography session. Mark’s back had become much better and we packed up camp knowing we had to find somewhere better. The mountain’s gave us a reprieve and blessed us with a perfect little bench tucked away in a sheltered hollow and no sooner had we finished pitching the tent, snowflakes began settling on it. We awoke to about one foot of snow and the landscape had changed completely. This year’s new piece of kit had already proven their worth earlier in the bush but now they would really shine. Crampons are now considered an essential item.

Over the course of the next few days we each had encounters with both tahr and chamois. I spotted a group of chamois bedded in a small basin and surprised myself at how close I could get to them before they eventually fled. I was in full view with no cover but with the advantage of an approach from above. Thirty five metres was as close as I got but with that being outside my comfortable shooting distance they left me there smiling, thankful for the opportunity just to have been in their vicinity. Another day I had climbed above camp looking for tahr and while looking over to where mark was I saw a bull below him and immediately contacted him on the UHF radio to try and guide him to it. Though such is the topography there, how it appeared to me at my vantage point didn’t correspond to what Mark was seeing and the bull slipped away unharmed. It was a situation that was repeated later in the trip though the roles were reversed. Mark had spotted a chamois below me and tried to guide me in but as the yet unseen buck approached me to investigate the noise in the bushes I was poised ready to shoot towards where Mark said it would appear, however Mark was three hours too late. The buck appeared at ‘nine o’clock’ not ‘twelve o’clock’ like he said it would and the buck spotted me instantly since I was beside a bush not behind it in what would have been a perfect position.

One of the most memorable encounters was once again a shared experience. While eating lunch I glassed a bull bedded in the sun on the mountainside above camp. Studying the terrain I planned an approach that would place me, if all went to plan, well within range of an unsuspecting bull. Almost all of the approach was in a neighbouring catchment with the last section being a climb up a rock crevice to the crest of the ridge that the bull lay beyond. This was one of the two occasions in all my time hunting tahr that I have found myself in a situation where a mistake would likely mean falling to my death. Having carefully negotiated this precipitous bluff I crested the ridge and found the bull right where he should be, twenty meters away bedded on a tiny bench as big as himself on a steep slope.

The situation was perfect except for one detail, the lie of the slope. As I closed to within twelve meters I realised that getting a shot undetected was going to be unlikely because I was laying on my side amongst the tussock, feet downhill with my left side against the steep face. This is the only time I’ve wished I was a left handed shooter. Being right handed meant having to get up into a kneeling position in order to clear the bottom limb of the bow and thus almost certainly alerting the bull to my presence. A left handed hunter could have taken a shot from a much more concealed shooting position. I could have taken a shot with a heavily reverse canted bow but I know myself better than to think that I was capable of such an act of trick shooting, for I am not. 
Knowing full well that the bull would likely flee when I attempted to get into a shooting position I wasn’t surprised when he did exactly that. Thwarted by the terrain once again. What was surprising however was that when I stood up, Mark came into view on the ridge opposite to me, silhouetted against the Tasman Sea. He had been watching the bedded bull from his position and had, unbeknown to both of us, witnessed the stalk. He later regaled to me that night that he saw the bull get up out of his bed and run but had no clue as to why, until I stood up and we saw each other at the same time. I wish I could have seen his face. “You must have been close?” he asked. “About twelve meters” I said. It was a moment we unwittingly shared from two distant ridge tops.

Another day I ventured into a basin we hunted the previous year. Within a half hour of glassing I had spotted a group of chamois bedded below me, lazily sunning themselves. The only option for an approach was straight down the slope in full view, with snow tussock interspersed with rock slides offering no concealment. However I had two important advantages, I was above them and I possessed the element of surprise. All I could do was tempt fate and turn into a boulder that slowly and silently moved downhill. With an emphasis on slowly, I slid down towards them surprising myself at how close I was getting. A conveniently located boulder at what I guessed to be 35 meters from them offered the only cover. I never imagined I’d gain its security undetected but I did. It was getting late in the day and I was forced to make something happen because the chamois seemed content to continue laying there. Readied for a shot, I popped out from behind the boulder to see what might happen. The slumber of the closet animal was interrupted and it moved away. Assuming my position behind the boulder again it surprised me by walking back to where it was. Again I left the cover of the boulder to attempt a shot and again it walked away only to return once more. Knowing that its curiosity would be waning I broke cover from the boulder yet again and perhaps could have taken a shot but instinct told me that the distance was further than it needed to be and I refrained from shooting. The chamois and I were both satisfied, the chamois in its choice to run and myself in my choice not to shoot. After taking the opportunity to photograph the group of chamois before they left the basin I headed back to camp, thankful for another close encounter among the lofty peaks.
Twelve days had elapsed before we returned to the trail head and back to the reality of modern life.
This style of hunting in these mountains makes for a low percentage rate of game taken but to he who seeks adventure, challenge and self-discovery if offers a 100% success rate and measured by such terms the hunt ended with success.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 03:51:34 AM »
May 2014-   http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=90330.0

“The mountains are calling, and I must go.” – John Muir

Unsurprisingly our penchant for adventure meant we were drawn to the trailhead, again, like a moth to the flame, not questioning why we had come, only knowing that we must. I was joined by Paul Rea, it was just the two of us since Mark had welcomed the birth of his first born child the day we flew into New Zealand. We had chosen to hunt a different valley entirely this year which added the spice of the unknown.

A number of huts dotted the trail along the length of the valley and after leaving the trailhead at lunchtime we were enjoying company of a local possum trapper and a Danish hunter at the first hut that evening. The following day was a little more demanding as the trail gained elevation quickly in order to allow passage beyond a gorge in the river and at times we could see the area we intended to hunt on the opposite side of the valley. Another night of comfort was afforded to us at the next hut. From here our journey diverged from the marked trail, the river being the first obstacle, which we forded by wading through. The confluence of the creek we were to hike up to reach the hunting area was at the point where we forded the river. From here access to the alpine was quite good with typical boulder hopping in the creek bed which higher up turned to steep tussock and rock slabs, the last of which proved to be precarious. Cresting this last rock slab lead us to a terrace which provided a perfect campsite. We had seen some tahr that day so we were eagerly awaiting our chance to start hunting the following day but the weather had other plans. By midday the following day the fog and rain had rolled in.

The weather cleared that night and Paul and I decided to split up and hunt alone in order to maximise an effort to scout for likely tahr areas so early in the trip. Paul hunting one way, myself the other, which led me to a saddle between two peaks above camp. The silhouette of a ridgeline never fails to pique my curiosity to see what lays beyond. Just as I was about to satisfy this curiosity by looking into the adjacent valley a young bull tahr whistled and took flight from behind a small spur and ran across the snow to disappear down a slope I dared not get close to, such was its steepness. If any animal can be called king of the mountain, it is surely the tahr.

We spent a couple of days hunting without luck and decided to move camp closer to where we had been glassing animals in greater numbers. The following day Paul had a stalk on a group but didn't have any luck and I left him to try again on them and moved along the ridge a bit. During a brief break in the fog I glassed a bachelor herd down a gully. I could see four bulls at first and was lucky enough to witness a fight between two of them before I set off down the steep slope towards them.

A house sized boulder and the fog providing excellent concealment of my approach to within thirty five meters of the closest bull. I watched him for about ten minutes and he wasn't moving into a better position so I figured I’d have to move around the boulder into the gully to get closer. A younger bull came into view just when I didn't need more eyes, ears and noses. Then more bulls appeared, they were everywhere, suddenly I was amongst the mother lode. I was high on the musky stench of bull tahr.

I was very carefully getting closer to the bull when the younger one caught my movement and bolted up out of the gully and whistled, stopping at about thirty meters. Thinking it was over I decided to take the rushed shot at him as he was the only one I could see. Not surprisingly to me, it missed. Then the bigger bull ran in front of me and stopped for a brief moment at close range. Another 'quick, hurry up and shoot him before he's gone' shot and another arrow disappeared down the mountainside without doing any harm. I couldn't help but curse myself for squandering a golden chance at a trophy I had spent over forty days over four years in the mountains trying to attain. 'Never give in' is a good motto to follow though. As luck would have it they just joined the bulls in the group below them and started feeding again. I managed to get in on them again and ran out of cover at about twenty five meters, finding myself perched on a ledge looking down at a mob of bulls numbering, on a rough count, about twelve animals.

This time the ball was in my court, I had time to shoot a proper shot. As I slowly stood up and peered over and got set, three bulls came into view on a small bench below me. I picked the closest one, which, as if by some divine intervention, was quartering away, then went through my shot sequence. The arrow blew through him right where I was looking, though he did move slightly at the shot. Still my initial reaction was, 'I just killed a tahr!'. I firmly believed he'd soon be dead. At the shot tahr went everywhere but not real far. The bull disappeared behind a boulder and didn't come out the other side. That was a good sign I thought. Then I could see the others close by looking in his direction and I took that as meaning he'd gone down or was acting oddly. I let fifteen minutes go by and nothing walked out from behind that boulder and the others had calmed down again. I could have taken a shot at two other bulls but I dared not get greedy. After all the effort over the years one bull would be more than enough reward and I didn't want to cause any more chaos, lest it disturb the bull I shot, since I did not know if he was dead yet.

Time was getting away on me and by now it was late afternoon and camp was over an hours hike away. I had to push the other tahr away to go and see if my bull was down. With extreme caution I rounded the boulder. He wasn't where he should be and my heart sank. Where could he have gone to? Then I saw some fluffy hair in a small chasm a few meters further on. Slowly I peered in there.....and what lay before me was the trophy of my dreams. Forty days in Westland is what it took to get that tahr. Blood, sweat and unashamed tears were shed in those days. I thanked him and the mountain and sat for a brief moment as I reflected on what I'd been through in the pursuit of these mountain dwellers. The quest for this tahr and the chamois have taught me more about myself and my capabilities than I ever thought possible, testing me physically, mentally and emotionally. You will never know what you are capable of if you do not push your limits and get out of your comfort zone. It has been a crucible from which friendships have been forged through shared hardships and triumphs.
The next day Paul and I hunted our way over towards where my bull was so we could recover some camp meat and the cape and horns. Paul made a fantastic stalk on a bull in his bed and was unlucky not to make a kill after the bull caught his movement when he was getting into a shooting position. After this interlude we recovered my bull and made our way back to camp, arriving after dark.

Again, the weather had forced our hands and we decided to head back to the hut. It had rained most of that night and the forecast called for more rain for another two days. If we didn’t leave when we did we would be stuck on the wrong side of the river and miss our return flights back to Australia. When we approached the river we were happy with our decision. The river level was bordering on being too dangerous to attempt a crossing. After a serious discussion Paul and I were both very confident we could swim across safely. We lashed our packs together with parachute cord and were lucky enough to have enough cord to allow someone to swim across then haul the packs across after gaining the safety of the far side. Paul volunteered to swim across first with line attached and I payed out the line as he swam over. After he was safely across I tied the packs on and Paul was able to easily haul the packs across the swift current. Despite their weight, the packs floated with incredible buoyancy. Starting well upstream of the intended exit point on the far bank of the river I started swimming and made it to the other side much to the relief of both of us. We were both very thankful to spend that night in a hut warding off hypothermia and eating tahr fillet in front of the wood stove.

We made our way back to the first hut the next day but were forced to wait there for two days until some of the more major side creeks that lay between it and the trailhead subsided after the constant rain.
Once the rains stops the water levels drop as surprisingly fast as they rise and when they had done so we were half a day’s hike from the end of another adventure in Westland. A landscape that knows nothing about ease of travel or forgiveness of errors in judgement. A place where one experiences an undeniable sense of freedom and a clarity of mind that comes with just being there. It offers an opportunity to slow down and live for the moment in a world still running at nature’s pace and if you relinquish the expectations of killing an animal and consider it a bonus, you will be at liberty to fully enjoy the experience as a whole.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »
May 2015-  http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=97068.0

An addiction to adventure is incurable and can only ever, at best, be temporarily satisfied. New Zealand's Westland wilderness once more quenched the cravings for adventure.
Himalayan tahr never cease to amaze with their magnificence, nonchalant surefootedness, habitat and all round grandeur and the desire to hunt them the hard way has not diminished.
Mark, Paul and myself had assembled at the trail head, the mountains beckoning us to join them. Upon reaching the 1st hut along the trail to the hunting area, in uncanny circumstances, we met and shared the hut with a fellow traditional bowhunter whom I had previous only talked to via the internet. He and his hunting companions had just spent 10 days in the hut further along the trail, unable to go anywhere due to relentless and torrential rain, not uncommon in the Westland region of the south island. Meeting in such a place and sharing tales in a crowded hut added to the mystique of the New Zealand backcountry.

Days two and three were spent hiking up to the hunting area. At the end of day two we stayed in the next hut along the trail, the hut where the other group of hunters were stranded at for 10 days. Day three was time to cross the river again and climb up to the main hunt area. We made camp above the tree line on a south facing slope, which meant it didn't get much sun and was still covered in snow from the recent bad weather. The next day was our first day of hunting. Mark and I decided to head over towards where I shot a bull the previous year. Mark had not been to this valley, so I was going to show him the good hunting area we found. Paul decided to hunt the bush edges below camp. On the way Mark and I saw a few animals and Mark attempted a difficult stalk on a sentry nanny.

Mark and I eventually made it over to the area where I saw lots of bulls previously.
Mark could see some bulls below us near the bush line and decided to move down and attempt to stalk them, leaving me to go the other way to check out the gully where I shot a bull twelve months earlier. Thick fog was starting to form lower down in the valley and I knew in a short while that the mountains and I would be cloaked in thick moist air and visibility would be reduced to about thirty meters. Having settled into a vantage point from which to glass the gully, it would disappear and reappear as the fog came and went periodically. During a brief moment of visibility a solitary mature bull could be seen meandering up the slope below me, so I packed up my gear and headed straight down to see if could get within range of my bow. I was part way down when I saw him walk into a cluster of huge boulders and disappear. Dropping my pack I began moving down an open slope towards the boulders that were about sixty meters away.

Suddenly he appeared from out of the boulders and started walking up towards me. Being completely out in plain view I had no choice but to nock an arrow and lay down against the slope and perform my best impression of a rock. It worked and he didn't notice me and he dropped into a small drain and appeared to have a drink, although I have read that it's extremely rare to see a tahr drink for they apparently get most of their water requirements from the vegetation they eat.
Whether he was drinking or doing something else, I saw it as my queue to have a shot, since his head was obscured and he couldn't see me get up into a kneeling position. I released at the bull from about thirty meters with a steep downhill angle then cursed as the arrow flew and passed just under him and clattered into some rocks.

Startled a little, the bull jumped up out of the drain and ran a short distance behind some short monkey scrub bushes. Quickly I moved down to the bushes, nocking another arrow when he started to move up the other side of the gully. He stopped broadside and looked downhill at about twenty five meters and I remember intently focusing on his chest and drawing, consciously keeping my elbow high as I did so. This is my shot routine and it just seems to work for me if I focus on form and let the subconscious do the aiming. The flight of the arrow was perfect and the shot placement equally so, at least that was my immediate impression. The bull let out a bellow and ran downhill into the boulders, stood for a second then disappeared. I was confident that the placement was good and as he ran away I could see equal amounts of arrow protruding out of either side of his chest.
I retrieved my pack and by then it was time to take up the trail. The arrow had been broken, probably due to the shoulder blades acting like a guillotine and both the broadhead and nock ends fell out. Upon picking them up and piecing them together it became apparent that about six inches of the arrow must be still in his chest.
The blood was deep red with a few very tiny bubbles indicating at least some lung damage, however a blood trail was almost non-existent. Just a few small drops were the only evidence of a hit.

The last place that the bull was seen was 10 meters away from where I had recovered my bull the previous year. The bones were still there. There I was, starting the search for a bull right where the search for a bull ended one year ago. The circumstances evoking an incredible sense of déjà vu. The two places where each bull was standing when they were shot are about 30 meters apart. They are separated more by time than by distance.

It was getting late in the afternoon and I knew I couldn't spend too much time looking for him before I would have to meet Mark at our prearranged rendezvous point and head back to camp together.  The bull had vanished into the bush and ferns and doubt started to rear its ugly head. He could be dead in there and I still might not find him and after a quick look in the vicinity I reluctantly left to go meet Mark.

I of course planned to go back in the morning and resume the search but the mountains had other ideas. It started to rain that night. It rained and rained and kept raining. Morning came around and it continued raining all that day only relenting that night. Thirty six hours of contemplation, alone in a tent.
Next morning Paul decided to come with me, hunting our way over to the search area hoping to find the mountain's prize. At around midday Paul began a stalk on a pair of bedded bulls. The situation was a good one, with ideal topography aiding the stalk. I sat back and had lunch while Paul did his thing. Then, on cue, the fog rolled in. Paul and the bulls were less than one hundred meters away in plain sight but I couldn't see them. Maybe half an hour later I heard some alarm whistles from a bull, signalling that something was happening but couldn't see a thing. Moments later Paul yelled out for me to come over, so that I did. When I got there he told me he crested a small ridge to find the bull less than 10 meters beyond but it had sensed movement and made good his escape.

The fog was set in now and hunting was near impossible in the low visibility conditions so we decided it was time to look for my bull, which wasn't far from where we were.
We started at the place of last sighting and began zig zagging through the small corridor of bush in the bottom of the steep sided gully, both sides of which has rock slabs sloping down to the bottom, seemingly creating a funnel into the bush.

There were so many holes and places that would guard the carcass of a dead animal and never allow it to be found. After looking for about 20 minutes I was starting to accept that I might have killed a bull only to have it swallowed up by the bush but when I stood on a boulder that jutted out above the ferns I happened to look to my right and as fate would dictate, there he was, belly up in a parted section of trees in plain view. Had I been standing anywhere else he would likely have remained unfound and forever a subject of doubt and wonder.
I was so relieved and happy to have confirmed my strong belief that the shot was a good one and that he had not suffered. Two bulls in two years in the exact same spot. I said to Paul, "I hereby name this place, 'Golden gully’ “. We both smiled.

That evening the weather closed in again and it began to rain once more. Another thirty six hour period in the tent had begun. It rained heavily that night and to my disbelief I awoke early the next morning to a flooded tent. There was five inches of water in the floor of my little shelter. The mattress and bottom half of my down sleeping bag were wet and my camera was underwater. I had been sleeping with the inner doors open to maximize ventilation in an effort to combat condensation and through the night must have rolled on the edge of the floor wall and pushed it down onto the ground allowing water from the small stream running under the floor to flow into my tent and flood it.

My Jetboil cup served a double purpose as a bail. For the rest of that day it rained but it cleared that night only to be followed by a severe frost. The foetal position and a chemical hand warmer gleaned from my first aid kit offered the only chance of staying warm in my sleeping bag as the bottom half of it was wet which made for a terrible night’s sleep. In the morning the bottom of my bag was frozen, my bootlaces resembling lengths of contorted fence wire.
I told Mark and Paul that I was going to go down to the hut since all my gear was wet and frozen and with these temperatures it would be folly for me not to go down to the hut and start drying out my gear. They decided to join me as their gear was in a state of partial saturation that was unavoidable considering the rain and favourable condensation conditions. By lunch time we had packed up our high camp and started the hike down off the range to the hut. That night we feasted ourselves on tahr meat, happy in the knowledge that it was hard won. The following day Mark and Paul went for a day hunt from the hut while I split some wood, salted the tahr cape and made a Paiute deadfall trap to catch the mice that were plaguing the hut. A mouse was registered as my second kill for the trip later that night. It was a day of solitude and quiet contemplation in a place where the mind is free to wander.

I have come to believe that I am cursed with never being fully content with where I am. While at home, the mountains and the wilderness are never far from my mind. They provide some of life’s simplest pleasures, as real as they are small.  A moment of silence shattered by the resounding boom from the advance of a distant glacier, the warmth of the sun after not having seen it for days, the exhilaration of seeing one’s own breath when exhaling the cold mountain air, a feeling of insignificance when surrounded by mountains of unrivalled ruggedness and beauty, simply being in a wild place and the solitude to be gained there. What at home would be a dull unsweetened cup of tea, on the mountain becomes a hot mug of black nectar. The constant hardship and discomfort that Westland provides enhances the value of these things, just as the cold rain highlights by contrast the warmth and security of a backcountry hut. Yet while on the mountain I long for home and family. However the exhilaration of being in the wilderness cannot be equalled by any comfort of home.

That night I slept awkwardly and awoke with a stiff neck and the hike to the next hut only served to make it worse. The sleep that night was terrible and my neck was very painful and I wasn't able to move it much at all. Mark and Paul insisted that we more evenly share the weight in our packs to make it easier on my neck for the last leg out to the road end. At first I was reluctant, since with foolish pride I alone wanted to carry the burden of my own success but I soon realised that to do so would be to selfishly deny them their place in what has always been a team effort. Mark carried the cape while Paul carried some of my tent and my binoculars. This sharing of weight made a huge difference and made the hike out much more bearable.

At one point a helicopter flew over, provoking thoughts of the many long days of battling steep trails, scrambling over boulders and deadfall, swimming icy flooded rivers, forcing through unimaginably thick scrub on hands and knees, crossing countless side creeks and the monotony of long walks over river flats, often while enduring injuries and pains. It served as a reminder to myself of the reason for my choice of transport into and out of the backcountry. Without these hardships and challenges the satisfaction I would gain from accomplishing my goal would be diminished and that is something of great importance that I refuse to compromise. The integrity of the journey in pursuit of one’s goal is more meaningful than achieving the goal itself; for one defines the other. I looked up at the noisy machine and was glad I wasn't in it. It made me realise that it isn't solely the tahr and chamois that draws me to this place but rather, to a greater extent, it is the calling of the mountains themselves and all that being among them entails. The tahr and chamois just happen to be there and if any other game animal were to inhabit the same terrain as they do I would pursue them with equal enthusiasm.

In 1923, a year before his ill-fated expedition to be the first person to summit the world’s highest peak, the legendary mountaineer George Mallory was asked, “Why do you want to climb Mt Everest?” He famously replied, “Because it's there”; and so it is for myself and alpine game hunting, it's, “Because they're there”.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:58:45 AM »
 :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:  :thumbsup:

I'm hearing ya Clint, I'm hearing ya

Best
Lex
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:06:02 AM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 08:55:14 PM »
Those are some helluva adventures.  Well done.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:40:40 AM »
Epic stories
Thank you Clint for sharing those adventures
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©