3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cheap homemade targets ideas  (Read 605 times)

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
cheap homemade targets ideas
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
anyone have any they have made. pics would be nice.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cheap homemade targets ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I use the box the pizza delivery comes in.  Duck tape it on the seams and spray a can of "foam in a can" and then duck tape that hole closed.  Then lay the box flat on the ground and put something heavy on it, like a cinder block so the foam will be compressed instead of expanding. The foam should dry in a day or so. Makes a good cheap target.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
Pillow stuffing! Get some used pillows from hotels/motels. I shoot A LOT of arrows doing testing. This is the longest lasting and best performing material and the bonus is it is cheap.
 I'll try and see if I can post a pic tomorrow

Kent

Plenty Coups Arrows
Darby,MT
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
i've heard that the pillow stuffing works well. i use a plastic seed sack, you can get them in a pack of 4 or so at the farm and fleet store. make sure to get the plastic ones not the muslin ones. then go to wally world and ask for a bunch of plastic bags, or if your like me and your wife saves them all anyway go home and stuff one of the sacks a full as you can. it takes quite a bit but it easy and completly free. after a while the bags get compressed, just stuff a few more in. when the seed bag wears a hole, (right in the middle of course) just slip the whole thing into one of the other bags from the 4 pack. i've been using this type of target for a long time now. Its nice since it is pretty light, last a long time and can be out inthe rain and snow without any damage. thanks, dan.
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
A buddy of mine collected all those plastic grocery bags you get at markets these days and stuffed them in a burlap sack, I mean really stuffed now.  Then built a frame of PVC in the shape of the stuffed burlap sack only larger, think it was about a foot longer and wider than the stuffed sack.  He then suspended the sack in the frame using bungee cords which absorbed the impact of the arrow as it hit.  Pretty simple design really and as the outside sack wore out he would just stuff it all inside of another sack and rehang it.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:00:00 AM »
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:52:00 AM »
a burlap sack with shrink wrap in it.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:57:00 AM »
I'm going to fill some grain bags with the polyfil stuffing from my dog's beds.  I've got a couple dogs that will tear up their beds over time so I've been keeping the polyfil that comes out.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
I use soy bean crates, they are square plastic web, much tougher than the stuffed targets use, four foot square.  I cut out the baffles inside that hold them  to their shape and stuff them with silage plastic.  Total cost zero.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
used feed bag & old clothes...make for a cheap and easy target..

Offline stickbow24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
I like to stuff 1 grocery back inside an empty toilet paper roll and I hang it up by a string so it can swing with the wind.  I will shoot 5 arrows at it from out to 50 yards.     :biglaugh:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I like the pizza box idea Trooper! Do the arrows come out of the foam ok?

I have used burlap sacks with lots of shrink wrap inside. Works pretty well. About as cheap as it gets, all free materials.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
Neighbors Cat...lol...just kidding ...hay pales  :)plastic coke bottles all sizes hang from trees with hay pale behind it
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
I buy the cheapest youth black basketball and when its full of holes I fill it with plastic bags and continue shooting. Last a long time. I kick the ball and make a shot and repeat. Yardage is always different. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by stickbow24:
I like to stuff 1 grocery back inside an empty toilet paper roll and I hang it up by a string so it can swing with the wind.  I will shoot 5 arrows at it from out to 50 yards.      :biglaugh:  
Only someone from PA could come up with that target...(Latrobe Native).  
I use a cardboard box 2'x3'x2' layered w/cardboard inside- target of your choice.  I change out the front and back (taping a new layer) of cardboard when the center 1.5" gets shot out from 65yds away and the arrow passes thru  :biglaugh: .
Good weight-no shifting but does need to be brought inside if bad weather.
Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »
what if you got a kids basketball and filled it with that spray foam?would that work?

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
You will get deflections.  A box with foam would be better.

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I also use the plastic burlap type of bag stuffed full of grocery bags.  Cheap and works great, arrows pull out easily.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
a wool bale full of foam is real awesome lasts for years
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline BleekLight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Here is what I use for targets the first one is one I made out of an old morrell yellow jackets target and a cheap wally world foam target. I just took the two types of material and put 1/2 inch thick pieces of wood on top and bottom and then duck taped the whole thing together. It is light weight and works great.

The next one didn't cost me anything because I just happended to have all the materials laying around.
I made a wooden box frame outta 2x4s covered the front and back with old carpet and stuffed it with old drop ceiling panels and foam. I don't know the exact dimensions but its a little over 6 feet tall by at least 3.5 feet wide.

as you can imagine its a little heavy so I had to make a chassy with wheels for it so I could tip it down and move it around with ease.

I aslo added supports to it that fold up so you can move it. These supports make it so it will stand up on almost any terrain weather its level or not. They can fold either behind or in front of the target.

by the way the target is lopsided in the picture because when not in use I lay in on the ground in that spots so to take these pictures I just picked it up real quick.
---------------------------------
I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©