3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cheap homemade targets ideas  (Read 604 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cheap homemade targets ideas
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I never had any deflections with a basketball. I guess its possible. I use field points. I like to see the basketball jump with the arrow stuck to it when I hit.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Chopie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 10:31:00 AM »
For a cheap three-D course, I use stuffed animals that you can buy at second-hand stores or garage sales.  You can get all size, shape and colors.  And for fun rabbit hunt for the kids, use the stuffed rabbits all different colors hidden in the bushes and go hunting.  Have fun !

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Burlap bag stuffed with the plastic sheeting used to line crawlspaces.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
tennis balls and blunts

Offline whossbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 12:00:00 PM »
i used to use 1/2 washers hanging in the wind ,but kept tearing off feathers when the arrow rubbed the sides going through,so i went to a 1 inch now so my feathers dont get damaged,robin hood would be proud,,,,did that make anyone put there boots on,,,,,,,,jeff

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as "cheap", it cost around $75.  The burlap sack target was $20 at 3-rivers. It's full of old rags which are everlasting. The landscape timbers could be substituted with scrap lumber to save $$.

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I got this idea from an earlier post on TradGang.  I can't remember who posted it, but I tried it and it works!  (Thanks to the TradGanger who originally posted it!)

Fill plastic bottles with foam-in-a-can.  (I used 1qt juice bottles, and some 20oz water bottles.)  Stick an old shaft or stick in the mouth of the bottle after you fill it up with foam.  Once they have dried, just stick them in the ground or in a bale of hay or...

I suggest letting the foam dry a few days (or more) before shooting them, or that condensed sticky stuff will be a real pain to get off your arrows!  Trust me!  :banghead:  

The arrows usually penetrate about half-way through, sometimes up to the fletching.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
PS:  I also spray painted the finished bottles a solid color, and then sprayed a small dot (of a contrasting color) on them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
A roll of  scrap carpet works very well and lasts a long,long time.

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
I just take an old t-shirt and tie it in an overhand knot, again and again until it's one big knot. Throw it on the lawn and keep shooting blunts at it. Doesn't ricochete or move around. Makes a nice pop sound when hit solidly. Arrows hit it and stop on the spot. The rag/knot absorbs all the energy.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
I take a couple cardboard boxs and stuff them with old clothes. when the boxs start to come apart get a couple more and use the same stuffing over and over. arrows come out real easy.
Harold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©