3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first hunt and a bittersweet ending  (Read 2822 times)

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
My first hunt and a bittersweet ending
« on: September 30, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »
I hunted for the first time with my Stalker Coyote FXT 49# at 28 inches shooting 3 Rivers Traditional Only 340 spine carbon arrows with 200 gr Cutthroat broadheads. I was previously a rifle hunter but finally started to do what I've always wanted to do 5 months ago, bow hunt with a trad bow. I've been practicing and practicing and have become decent with it. I'm hunting in Cuero, Texas and they recently had 6-8 inches of rain the last few weeks. This has left everything green, thick, humid and a ton of bugs, i.e mosquitoes. I set my Barronett Big Mike blind around ~17 yards from the feeder 6 weeks ago to allow the deer to get comfortable with it. I would love to use a tree stand but there are no big trees present. The property is a friends that uses it for hay but has 20 acres that is heavily covered with Huisache brush and tall grass.

Yesterday morning I get in the ground blind at 0630 and more thunderstorms are moving through the skies. Once I got into the blind I notice scorpions everywhere along the walls trying to get away from the rain. I killed 12 of them with a small stick before I sit in my seat. These scorpions won't kill you, but damn they hurt and they will get you. About 2 hours go by and the rain is now slowing down and I am hoping some deer start to come out. Well instead of deer I see 3 new scorpions crawling on the walls of the blind. I try to ignore them but I then find one crawling up my blue jeans to which I had to knock off and crush with my boots. I was now paranoid and kept feeling "things" crawl on me but it was just my imagination. I said screw this and went to the feed store around 9am to buy anything that would help my situation. I ended up getting some bug foggers and Bengal spray and went back to the blind to finish what I started. As I fogged the blind I notice 5 more scorpions scurry out the windows. This would end my morning hunt and I was not too sure if any deer would come out with all this chemical smell.

I nervously get back in the blind (scared of the scorpions) around 5pm and NO scorpions or other bugs present in my blind which made me very happy and the rain was gone. There were some people on the next property roughly 500 yards away shooting skeet so this worried me some. Then around 630  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ] pm two buck come out, a small 8 pointer and a spike! I was getting very excited and my usual case of buck fever. The 8 point came close to my blind but not only is he small he's not legal in my county. The spread must be outside the ears and he was borderline, I was not going to take that chance. I was however going to take a chance on that spike. It took about 20 min then he finally came broadside at 16 yards. I took my shot and it was a hit! It was a little high but looked like it would do the job as I saw the buck run off into the brush with the arrow in his side. It looked like hit 4-5 inches above the heart and a few inches below the spine and likely a lung shot. I called my wife immediately that I got one!
The sun was coming down fast so I quickly went out to look for it.

I found my arrow broken and covered in blood on a small trail a few yards into the brush line (~ 40 yards from where I shot it). But NO blood trail whatsoever. I searched for 2 hrs in the dark and it was now drizzling rain and I could not find him. I was excited at first that I shot my first deer but now it left a bittersweet taste in my mouth. Not only could I not find him, but I could not help but think that the deer was probably suffering and would be a waste of meat. I went home and came back in the morning to look again but still was unable to find it.

I may start to only hunt the morning as it would give me all day to look for the deer since the brush is so thick here and it can be a problem. I will be going hunting again in a couple of weeks with a friend in a totally different county but this one hurts. I will use it as a learning lesson and will continue to hone in on my shooting and hunting skills.
---
Too long didn't read version - I killed a ton of scorpions in morning but shot my first deer (a spike) in the evening but unable to find it.
Toeke whip
Sarrels blueridge longbow

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first hunt and a bittersweet ending
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 11:40:17 PM »
Toeke whip

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 11:40:56 PM »
Toeke whip

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »
Toeke whip

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 01:34:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Stay safe and search diligently. You'd be surprised at how easy it is for something to hide in the brush and for a searcher to miss it.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »
Try as hard as you can to grid search.... it will be rough in that kind of cover.....
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
Are you allowed tracking dogs out there?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
You may have hit "the void", a spot below the spine and the artery that runs under it, but above the lungs. If that's the case the buck will recover.  :dunno:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »
Sorry about the loss,  it can happen. 
Did you say your shooting 340 spine with 49 pounds? I might have to reassess my setup.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »
Sorry about the loss,  it can happen. 
Did you say your shooting 340 spine with 49 pounds? I might have to reassess my setup.
Carbon is funny in tuning and often multiple setups work depending on dl and form. I shoot 32 inch 340 with 260 grains up front.
Not to detract from the ops post, apologies if construed as such.
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that Jason. Better luck next time.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:12:27 PM »
You did it right those critters can be tough to find.

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 11:11:13 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses! I heard of people using tracking dogs, that is a good idea for next time.

Ron, I'm hoping that it's the case. 

Car54, this is my first year and they did shoot better than the 400 spine.  However, my form needs work and I'm a newbie so i would not look to much into it haha

Rick, good to hear from you! We need to do some shooting when you're not working.

One of my coworkers has a nice thermal imaging device,  he offered to me next time which would be great.
Toeke whip

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
You are not alone. I have been in similar situations more than once and will be there again.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 12:22:17 AM »
In thick cover, do you think if you had a roll of orange surveyor tape (polyester) and let out 25 - 50 yards as you follow the tracks/blood, or when searching back and forth across the trail the tape trailing behind you will remind you where you walked. When you find a track, or blood cut off 6" and hang it about head high as a reference, after you find another spot hang another piece on a branch. If you need to go back and retrace your steps the tape will help. Once you find the trail, walk off to the side and mark each spot you find. It will help you develop tracking techniques.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »
Hud, that is a great idea. I will try that next time, thanks for the advice
Toeke whip

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:19 PM »
Where in Texas are you , bunch of us here would be glad to help go on a track job if we are close enough..

Deer are tough critters all a guy can do is the best he can , good luck on the next one...

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 10:46:43 PM »
Just read back ( Cuero  ) will have to look and see where that is..

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »
Also is a tracking dog list for Texas , can usually find someone close with a dog..

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline starshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »
That story is one of my biggest fears.. when and if I get to shoot at a buck I want to have experience and follow up after the shot skill. No evening stands for me either. Too bad dogs are not allowed.  Sorry for experience but it is the best teacher. Better luck next tine.
64” Howard Hill “Redman”  46” @26”
66” Jet Archery “Jaguar” 42#@ 26”
52” Java Man “Helms Deep”  41#@ 26”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©