3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wide Whitetail....  (Read 6888 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Wide Whitetail....
« on: October 01, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
So I’m fresh off my trip to Colorado this year and already skinning another critter. With 2 days at home from Colorado I headed out for the Texas Whitetail opener to hunt with some friends. I had been gone a month from Texas and while I was gone we have got a lot of rain so everything is pretty and green. Acorns are falling everywhere and plenty of water also so as you know an animal ain’t got to move much to stay happy. Also a big bright moon and hot day time temperatures were not doing us any favors either. But you can’t have it all so we hunted the best we could ( can’t kill em sitting on the sofa ). Opening day was pretty slow my buddy killed a big turkey with his recurve it had an 11-1/2 beard really nice bird. Saw a few deer and some hogs just not much going on...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wide Whitetail....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:11:23 PM »
Day 2 was the same as day one but was having a good time as usual. I had a wild hair and switched arrows last Thursday , that was the day I headed to the ranch. I brought all my arrow building stuff with me and made up some carbons and shot them all day Friday and they were shooting good with my big TreeSharks. It also gave me something to do until Saturday morn got here. Anyway we were also dealing with rain showers but with good rain gear we did fine. A few bucks were seen but now arrows fired , the deer movement was just slow at best that morning. For the afternoon hunt I decided to sit a power line cut and all the clouds and rain decided to open up to bright sunshine and heat. Witch is about right cause it put me right in the bright sunlight but I sat it out. Finally the sun went behind the hill and the temperature dropped a bit and I could now see again. Things were much better now but still no movement to be seen...
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
 :campfire:
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »
 It is now the Golden Hour and my hopes are high , I just want to see something in bow range. Along about 45min before dark a buck steps out about 75yds across from me and just stared my direction for like 5 minutes. I never moved and though he had seen me before I had saw him but eventually he turned and walked away up the power line away from me. Figured he was gone then at about 100yds up he cut across to my side and started my way. He would stop every once in a while and just stand and look all around. He looked to be an older deer and I had already decided I’m shooting if given a chance. He ever so slowly inches my way but was just wound tight , he flushed several dove on his walk and would about jump out of his skin every time....
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 05:36:09 PM »
He is now at 10yds and I have no shot because of some branches in the way and it’s getting darker. He is just looking all around , finally he makes a move and stopped broadside at about 15yds and was looking away. Got to full draw and a solid anchor focused on his heart held for a few seconds and let her loose. At the sound of the shot this guy dropped like a bucket of rocks the big TreeShark hits him high but well in the chest cavity. He went back in the trees about the same spot he had originally came out of. I could hear branches breaking and rocks flying for a minute or so then all was quite. I eased out about 30 minutes later in the dark to give him some time , I knew the hit was high but good enough...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
I get back to the ranch house and tell my buddy the story and tell him I think he stopped down in a little creek. We eat a snack and go see if we can find him and we did find him but he wasn’t dead. He was right where I said he was but he stood up and moved away about 50yds and bedded down again in our flashlight beams. So we backed out and left him alone in the creek bed , it’s nice and cool down where he is and I did not want to push him. So at daylight this morning I’m back at the spot with my bow in hand hoping for the best. I find him about 15yds form where we saw him bed last night in a big thick patch of low cedars along the creek. I can’t tell if he is alive or dead so I put an anchor shot into him but it was not needed. He is a cool old buck and really wide just under twenty inches inside , I’m proud to have him. Meat was still good so was a great ending to the Texas opener , was shooting my Ember longbow 56@30 , carbons , and big ol TreeSharks....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
You're a machine Sam!!!!!   Congrats!  Awesome buck!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »
Cool buck Sam. Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

GCook

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
Well told and a great buck.  Is that the exit wound I see?  If so I would have thought he would be down quickly as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 06:42:45 PM »
The hole you can see well is the entrance on the second shot , was not needed but he died pretty much in the position like I have him for the pics. He was leaning on a cedar and I couldn’t tell if he was dead so I put another arrow in him for insurance. The first hit was the TreeShark , I will post the picture of the hit..

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 06:44:52 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »
The first shot was from a 10ft ladder stand at 15yds , so a downward angle with a super sharp TreeShark. They are a tough animal....

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Bisch

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
Congrats!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline KillerBee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Neat old buck Sam....congrats

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
Congrats! What a great animal! Way to go!

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 08:21:23 PM »
Awesome job! Good looking deer.
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Great job Sir!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©