3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Man Law - "New" Old Kodiak  (Read 245 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Man Law - "New" Old Kodiak
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »
Got my first Bear Kodiak today... a 45#  60" Kodiak Hunter.   I'm both disappointed and pleased.   I suspect that at $125 I overpaid for it.  It was described as "9 out of 10" but I'd say is pretty lucky to be a 6.   It has numerous scratches, fortunately not deep, a chip off of the end of the shelf and screw holes both front and back.  However, it's basically ok... The scratches will polish out, the chip hurts nothing... Oh, and by the way, I'm pretty sure Bow Doc will be at the shoot I'm going to next week :^)

I had never shot a Bear recurve before and was pleasantly surprised.  Not a speed demon, but then I'm underdrawing a 45# bow and only producing 38#.  I'd love to see what one of these would feel like if it were actually tillered for my draw.  As it is, I think it's smooth enough that I could handle a 50# one, which would be about 43# for me.  It's very forgiving of spine... shoots alums, carbons and woods of spines from 35 to 50 and seems to put them all into the same vertical plane... differences in height, but that's understandable due to quite a range of weight variance.  As I said, not fast, but smooth and shooting it is kind of like shaking hands with an old friend, or sailing a full keel boat after years of touchy fin keels... just easy and pleasant.

I know nothing about vintage Bear bows, so if anyone can date this one from the serial and/or nature of the coin on it, or offer any commens I'd appreciate it.

Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Man Law - "New" Old Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
In case yoiu can't read the serial, it is:
KT 86536
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
I have the same feelings about my 68 Kodiak. Enjoy it!
Brian

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 08:58:00 PM »
Lon Scott

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »
Enjoy it Dick.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
Love those old Bears. I have three Kodiak Hunters. Now I need a Super Kodiak.

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »
Dick, I might consider re-finishing it yourself or having the real bow doc do it. Unless the bow has collector value. Just my thoughts but enjoy it. I shoot the older Grizzleys and K-mags. Dale

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Well, I wanted a longer and shorter Bear to play with, and got this one.   I have a 52" K Mag coming, same 45# weight.   Should be fun.   I'll talk to Bow Doc at Moses Lake and see what he thinks about whether to have him restore it.  He lives here in Seattle, so I can drop it off with him and pick it up when he's done.   The collector value doesn't interest me as much as the idea  that I just like my bows to look nice and be in good condition.    I like shooting old bows as well as new ones, and I would have preferred to go back to the 1960's, but the price on Bears of that vintage seems to jump way up, so I guess 70's is fine for my purposes.
Dick in Seattle

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Dick,

I have never the pleasure of shooting a Kodiak Hunter but I noticed they are starting to creep up in value also. Don would be the fella to talk too as he has a vast knowledge on Bear bows and would give you the skinny on weather the bow is worth refinishing (value vs refinishing costs). The 60's Kodiaks would run double (at least) of what you paid for this bow. I'm surprised you didn't get a inspection period when you bought it. That is the only way I'll even consider a internet transaction, regardless of what the item is. You may be out shipping both ways but if the item isn't your cup of tea, you can recoupe your $$$ and look elsewhere. Everybody has their own idea what a 10 ranking is suppose to be and that can vary quite a bit from person to person. Might be a good cadidate for a self refinishing job, as stated earlier, if you have the time.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
I just bought my first Bear a few weeks ago Dick, their nice shooters   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 08:39:00 PM »
Good Luck with her Dick! Enjoy!

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Dick, I fully agree with you on spine with these bows.........I've shot 350 to 400 grain carbons and a 475 grain aluminum and all fly great. My newly aquired kodi hunter is a 1971 50# model and it seems to shoot much better than the 2008 martin hunter that I shot side by side with. It seems faster and definately drives the arrow in farther than the martin. I'd say if your limbs are straight, you did pretty good for 125.00. Scratches just add to the history of the bow for me  ;)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Oh yeah Dick you know bowdoc gonna be at Moses Hole...I would never miss that shoot.I will bring a few bows over and just happen to have one the same as your new one,same draw weight even.We can check them both out.I have about 20 1960 model Bear Kodiaks in near mint condition I will have on sale saturday around noon,from 50.00 to around 100.00 each........Just kidding....see ya soon,bowdoc

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »
Hey, Bowdoc, I'll see you there for sure.   I wouldn't miss that shoot, either.   You save me one of those nice Bears... 40# or 50#...   :^)
Dick in Seattle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©