3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Article?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting Article?
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:50 AM »
 I recently read an article about aiming an inch or two lower and how it would increase your chances of a good shot. I think it was a TBM article but not sure can anybody point me towards the article.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Bisch

Re: Shooting Article?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 09:23:13 AM »
That would all depend on where you were aiming to start with!!!

I already aim low.

If a person aims in the middle, a couple inches lower would probably help him.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
I we're talking about shooting deer, I agree with Bisch. I know that our Texas deer are some arrow ducking, string dropping fools!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
I agree with both of you that's why I want to find the article again. It made some real valid points.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
All it means is, to aim a couple inches lower, because when deer jump the string, they usually drop straight down a few inches, then lunge forward.

Deer react just like we do when we hear a loud sound, we duck our heads and drop a little.

Aim for the heart, then if they drop down, the arrow will be right in the lungs.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:24:57 PM »
I agree with Roy. We have been conditioned to aim for a high percentage double lung shot when we should be aiming for the heart.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »
I agree with the guys above have said.......one thing I know, shooting a bunch of 3/D and going for that 10X trains you to shoot a bit to high on a real deer. I think heart shot and try to focus on that.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 06:05:30 PM »
I won't link it because the videos content is against forum rules but Growing Deer posted a video to Youtube today about deer jumping string that goes deeply into this subject. I would suggest everyone watch the part where they are testing reaction times for an illustration on why shots should be lowered.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 06:27:36 PM »
  :thumbsup:

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
We aimed low from the late 70s through the early 90s when we shot recurves and that worked great - This is when a few of us switched from recurves to flatbows and longbows. From 94 through today I have not had a deer duck - and this is many deer tagged each year in a variety of habitats and both private and public land. Amazing really. There are many factors why deer duck - presence of bait being the most common - but for those shooting straight limb bows, hybrid bows and especially bamboo backed flatbows and Osage selfbows I say "stay the course" and don't get too involved in unnecessarily aiming low. 

As to the heart. I think that is a solid strategy if you can hit them. But I like lungs better - or prefer to aim at lungs seems easier to me. I do hit hearts all the time but truthfully I aim at the opposite shoulder on a very slightly quartered away animal. Understood though for guys aiming at the heart if they are off slightly they often get a solid lung hit so all good.
Thanks
<><
<---------------------------<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©