3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's see some short bows  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's see some short bows
« on: October 04, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
As much as I'm loving the hill style I really would like to add something shorter for next season to hunt a few of my trickier locations. Im stuck at work tonight so figured I would scan through all the shorter offerings. So who all shoots something in the 50-56" range. So far a few I've looked at were the maddog machete at 50", short Prarie predator, thunderchild, Omega native, javaman and talking with crooked stic he can do one of his longbows in 56". So what all offerings am I missing
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Let's see some short bows
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:42:14 PM »
Don't forget the Sauk Trail Kenu, Shrew, Stewart Lil' Slammer, Centaur, Toelke Pika, Two Tracks Ogemaw...  and those are only longbows...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:34:22 PM by nineworlds9 »
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
Don't forget the Sauk Trail Kenu, Stewart Lil' Slammer, Toelke Pika, Two Tracks Ogemaw...  and those are only longbows...
and this is why I come here asking questions. I had completely forgotten about the kenu

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
The Korean Traditonal Bows like the Hwarang or the Kaya KTB. Kings of the Treestands/groundblinds….

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:21:12 PM »
I've played with some of the Korean bows. They were neat just not my thing. I've got a buddy who hunts with a freddy (could be wrong on the name) brand Korean bow that's black and has a slide on arrow rest and he loves it.

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 08:41:12 PM »
Pics won't load, my wifi vacuums!
I'm using  a 45 year old Browning Nomad Stalker I, 52", 45#@28. I put a coat of clear matte to knock down any glare. It was very glossy. This bow is great in tight stuff, heavy laurel and weights nothing. I use a homemade belt quiver, keeps arrows hidden behind back next to pack with very easy access to right hand.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 08:55:18 PM »
I'm using  a 45 year old Browning Nomad Stalker I, 52", 45#@28. I put a coat of clear matte to knock down any glare. It was very glossy. This bow is great in tight stuff, heavy laurel and weights nothing. I use a homemade belt quiver, keeps arrows hidden behind back next to pack with very easy access to right hand.
it's funny you mention the browning nomad stalker. My first traditional bow was an old nomad stalker and I just got rid of a slightly longer regular nomad a few months ago. They were great bows but from what I've seen a bit prone to limb twist. Many old brownings I've seen for sale have twisted limbs.

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »
My upper limb did developed a slight twist inches down from the end, I always hand strung it. It put a negative twist on it for a few days, always checking for correction. When it realigned I started using a bow stringer (again homemade) and for 2 years now I've had no prob, I always unstring when not in use. I love the lil thing.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
56" Toelke Pika -- Shoots nice and smooth. No stacking at my 28" draw length, and finger pinch doesn't seem bad to me. No worse than my 58-60" bows anyway.

Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline HartHeart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
Here's to the Toelke Pika! It comes in 54" or 56", I have a T/D 54" that is the best trad bow I've ever shot. It just does everything so well, I can't find a bad thing to say about it. The only possible negative that I could see is the lightness of weight, which some folks don't like. However the T/D's have a full phenolic riser+the steel inserts which add some stability. I believe you can also go full phenolic riser on a one piece. I draw 28" and the 54" is unbelievably smooth the whole way.
Ruler of Peace

Custom Shrew Classic Hunter II 48#@28"

Macatawa

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 10:41:29 PM »
it's funny you mention the browning nomad stalker. My first traditional bow was an old nomad stalker and I just got rid of a slightly longer regular nomad a few months ago. They were great bows but from what I've seen a bit prone to limb twist. Many old brownings I've seen for sale have twisted limbs.

I never had any problems with "limb twist"  My first trad bow was also Browning Nomad Stalker.  Shot it tons and hunted with it for at least two years.  That bow was the most consistent Whitetail killer I have known to date....(hunted a lot back in the day)

Back then I found the Browning Nomad Stalker II a much better bow wich accompanied me on four more years of hunting Michigan Whitetails. 

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
For the most part it seems a lot of people loved the nomad and nomad stalker which is why the maddog machete catches my eye. It looks like if any current bow were to feel and shoot similar that would be the one.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 12:26:53 AM »
JK Traditions Kanati longbows are pretty tuff to beat. I've got one that I have been pretty rough on for several years and it's been great. Dang fast too. 
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 12:33:18 AM »
South from Stalker Stickbows builds a 56" (Coyote). It could be a 54" on his 13" riser. He also has the 1pc Lynx.

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=164169.0

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:58:16 AM by Ryan K Sanpei »

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 12:49:47 AM »
Timberhawk makes a 54" recurve called the Strike. I think the standard model is about $400 and he is close enough to you that you could drive over to his shop and try one out.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 01:11:13 AM »
The Shrew bow was developed 23 yearts ago and advertized in the 1994 TB magazine as the worlds smallest longbow at 54". Later it was made from 52" to 56"

« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:17:24 AM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Friend,

Last spring I got a 56 inch High Sierra from Fox Archery.  When I talked to Ron King about my desire for a short bow in spite of my long arms he responded that he would just adjust the libs to give me the draw weight at my draw length.  He did GREAT!  I got a 56 inch High Sierra take-down recurve that draws 64 lbs. at 29.5 inches and draws as smooth as silk out to my anchor.  It spits the arrows out with authority!  I have not yet chronographed it but my 640 grain cedar arrows hit higher with this bow than with any other bow I own so I "think" its faster.

I couldn't be happier with my High Sierra.  It is my hunting bow for this fall.

Best Regards,

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »

Here is a little 48" takedown that works very well for its length.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
54 inch pika is the best shorty longbow i have ever shot
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:15 PM »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©