3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: reusing arrows  (Read 2179 times)

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
reusing arrows
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
I am wondering what most of you do with your arrows after you shoot them through a critter.  I am re-fletching some arrows and I came across two from last year.  One I killed a deer and the other a coon.  I am a little gun shy about shooting them again because I had an arrow blow up on me a few years ago and the shaft punctured my hand and went about an inch into my thumb.  I had previously shot a coyote with this arrow and I did not inspect it prior to shooting it again.

Both of the arrows look fine and the deer was a pass through.  I am a little worried about the one used on the raccoon as the arrow kind of pinned him to the ground and he rolled a bit and I think he actually bit the arrow to pull it out.  I am unable to identify what arrow shot the deer and which one shot the coon.  I am leaning toward throwing them both away.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: reusing arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
I shot an arrow that passed through a deer with no problems at all. If you can't distinguish which is which I would probably throw them away. It sounds like with your previous experience it would be in the back of your mind,and might affect your shooting.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
Perfectly good arrows and bows should even be inspected. Had a buddy of mine shoot 6 deer and 1 bear w same arrow.
What kind of material is it? Normally I rotate them into practice stock but I’d certainly not worry about shooting them again. The key word with ALL equipment is inspect before you use
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
I have several arrows that I have taken animals with.  I have one that has taken 4 whitetails, 2 hogs and a turkey with (it is retired now on the shelf).  If I decide to "reuse" and arrow, I carefully inspect it, then with practice session ensure that they are worthy.  If they are good, why not.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:16 PM »
I've saved a few special arrows over the years like from my elk and a few deer but anymore I consider the killing arrow to have some good mojo in it and if it's in shootable condition I will continue to use it. 
Tim B

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
It’s pretty easy to check out carbons by flexing the shaft.  It will break if it is fractured.  Do it all the time with my roving arrows after they hit rocks, trees, etc.  Aluminums should be fine if they are straight.  Wood can be inspected for divots, cracks, etc.

Reminds me of one of Howard Hill’s stories.  He got some famous Hollywood actor interested in archery and made some arrows for him.  The next week the guy wanted to buy more....and more....and more.  Howard asked him why he wanted so many arrows.  Howard asked if he had shot them all?  “Yes.”  Howard asked him if he had lost them all?  He said, “Oh, I didn’t know you could reuse them.”
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:10:55 PM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
No matter the material, I inspect the head, shaft and nock after I clean it up. I like to run paper towel along the shaft as well as flexing it. If it’s good to go I sharpen the head, tend to the fletching and back in the quiver it goes.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
With careful inspection, I would reuse an arrow. After all, we  shoot arrows after they hit objects on the practice range as long as they are not damaged. One thing I do to check an arrow is the hold it very lightly in my fingertips and tap it against something solid. Often, if it is cracked, it will make a "rattle" sound. If so, discard it. Unfortunately, this is not foolproof so very carefully check it visually.
Sam

Offline Jhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
I didn't mention but the arrows are CE Heritage with aluminum footing.  Thanks for the tips.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »
I didn't mention but the arrows are CE Heritage with aluminum footing.  Thanks for the tips.

I've got some of those I footed,and I don't seem to be able to destroy them. I would shoot them.

You still making armgaurds? Mine is still going strong!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
I shoot wood, and I have no problem with reusing them after checking them out. I routinely tap them on my knee and listen.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
I have reused at least one Douglas fir that was a complete pass through; though most are snapped as they only partially exit.  And I know that arrow has taken two deer (I used to be anal and code my shafts by batch and number).

Put a stress curve in the shaft and spin it and listen.

As far as I can recall EVERY P.O. cedar has broken off in the deer or had the tip snap between the roots, saplings and deer legs.  Well worth it.  ;-)  And it also means no worries about a hidden flaw from the impact & exit.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »
Some very good advice that we all may need to be reminded of from time to time.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »
I shot the same arrow into 3 critters in one day and still use the arrow. Like said above, inspect them regularly and you'll be fine.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 12:56:50 AM »
if you think a racoon was chewing on it i wouldnt shoot it again,  a 5 dollar arrow is isnt worth the piece of mind IMO.

That being said, If you do a good inspection and flex test on your shafts after they hit something I wouldnt be afraid to shoot them again.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:48 AM »
I have found on hard hits very often the shaft will be fine but the aluminum insert or threads in the point/adapter will be a little off.  I reserve these inserts and points for flu flus or something like that. 
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:08:58 AM »
My dad was a metal arrow user and never used the same arrow twice.  When he died I got most of his archery stuff.  There were over 100 arrows that killed some sort of animal, mostly whitetail, some mule deer and bear.  I cleaned up and stripped around 90 arrows that were straight, re-fletched them and passed them around for others to use.  Last fall I took one of his arrows and refletched it and killed a bear with it.  Dad use to own an archery shop so he had plenty of left over stock when he closed the doors so materials were never a problem.

Actually there is more to the bear story.  When I got home from the Marines in 69 dad handed me a brand new Bear Kodiak Hunter as a gift. I used that bow, an arrow and head  he killed an animal with. I put my stand in his spot where he killed bear in the past.  I got settled in and looked to the sky and said, "Help me out pop". I saw bear at 500pm, 600pm and shot my bear at 700pm . It was a 7 yard shot and I knew I had a good hit. He went 40 yards.  I looked up  second time and said, "thanks pop" and sat in my stand with tears rolling down my face. I sure miss him.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 08:14:43 AM »
Beautiful, Jon. For the past few years I've hunted with my departed brother's bow and arrows he made. I've killed several deer with them, and it adds something special.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2018, 09:31:48 AM »
I reuse arrows as long as they are sound.

I retired a few special arrows after killing critters. The arrows from my hog, javelina, a deer, my 100th & 200th groundhog are hanging in my bow room.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
^5 Jon...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©