3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4" 4 fletch- a good choice??  (Read 360 times)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
4" 4 fletch- a good choice??
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
After reading the FOC-Fletch post, I did some modifications to a couple arrows last night.  I stripped my beman classics of the 3-5 1/2" shield cut feathers and went to 4- 4" parabolic  feathers.
I had my nephew standing (safely) near my target and shot a few different times.  With our scientific testing- we both thought the 4 fletch was quieter.  From my vantage point- I could see the revolution better- and thought the 4 fletch became more visable due to the rotation.  Not sure if it was just a brain teaser- but it surely looked like I could see it spinning better.
I plan to do some longer range shooting and see what the results are: my biggest question- will the one extra feather cause noticable drag- enough to slow the arrow down at 35-40 yards???
Testing tonight, won't be able to post results until Tuesday- busy weekend planned, and steelhead fishing on Monday.....
If anyone can add their opinions- please do so- I would like to hear what others have found with this set up.  Thanks
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4" 4 fletch- a good choice??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
I just recently switch to 4 5" parabolics.  The way I was thinking is why not shoot as much feather as possible without causing a massive speed loss.  The more feather the more stable your arrow will be or the faster it will correct for any inperfection in form or release.  I went from shooting 3 5 1/2" shields and was shooting the other night at 20 yards.  I did not notice any difference just watching my arrows fly but did notice a little increase in consistant accuracy.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
I am just the opposite. :)Feathers are there just to correct mistakes.With good tuneing much less feather as needed than most of us use.3 4" feathers will stabilize the largest broadheads if the arrow is spined right for the bow.The only difference I have ever seen in shoot 4 feathers instead of 3 is added cost and time.Of course we do things because we like them.Shooting big feathers or a lot of feathers because they look cool is ok too.  :D   jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
David... I often shoot at objects out to 60 and 70 yards and find no difference in trajectory between 3 and 4 fletch of the same profile.

While there must be some difference, it seems to be so little that it's not an issue.

As Tim said above the main difference I see is the improved accuracy I get with 4 fletch...it's not earth shaking different, but it definately gives an edge.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline MRD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
4 fletch seems more accurate for me, too.  They also are more visible in flight (which is important to me), and quieter.  I like them!

Mark

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
I love to target shoot but I am primarily a  HUNTER.. My hunting entails short range shooting, 25 yards and under.. So I like enough feather to straighen out the arrow as quickly as possible in the event of a poor release or whatever. I like the 4x4" just fine and don't worry about loosing a couple of feet per second if that even occurs..

Offline IndianGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
The four fletch will allow for more drag hence slowing the arrow down some but it will also help the shaft correct itself a little quicker.I have a set of arrows fletched with four feathers in the 5" shield cut.I trimmed the highest part of the feather down to 1/2" and this seems to be a good setup for the non center cut bow im shooting them out of.
Its always fun to play around with arrows,keep us updated on what you find out.
Eric
Without God in your life no measure of success is worth measuring in the end.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I'm not sure if I'm getting any flight difference between the 4x4 that I'm currently using vs. the 3 x 5 that I used to use.  I favour the 4x4 for the simple reason that I don't have to think about the cock feather.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
iv gone over to using 4 x 4" low profile banana cut feathers like JC uses and am very happy with them, faster and quieter then my old 3x 5,5" shield feathers.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by tradtusker:
iv gone over to using 4 x 4" low profile banana cut feathers like JC uses and am very happy with them, faster and quieter then my old 3x 5,5" shield feathers.
+1    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
I like 3-fletch 5" or 5 1/2" AND 4-fletch 4."  I tend to buy whatever feathers are on sale.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
Have you read "The amazing feather" in TBM?  3 5" and 4 4" have close to the same surface area.  If my arrow is correct for my bow I am left to only worry about noise and visibility.  Parabolic is less noisy than shield.  Until I shoot faster than the speed of sound, quiet is the name of the game.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Predator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
How about 4 3" feathers. This may be a possability with the high FOC set-ups.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bear Heart:
Until I shoot faster than the speed of sound, quiet is the name of the game.
Oh, I'm way past that.  Am currently working on the speed of light!    ;)

Offline BigCnyn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
I have been working on the 4 x 3 inch feathers,,
90 degree spacing. I find they work well with the grizzlies and the 3 blade muzzies. I find the wind needs to be real slow, or I get a little tail wag.. adding weight to the front and tuning at the same time.. Will know more as I continue..

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Who sells 4" nanners????

I've been trying my hand at chopping, I'm thinking of quitting while I still have my fingers left.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Herb sells them "4 inch Hunters"
 http://www.herbsarchery.com/
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement