3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Suburbia hunting...anyone?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
Suburbia hunting...anyone?
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
A little background:

I lived on my grandparent's farm in Howard County from 1968 to 2003 and became familiar with the whitetail in the mid-seventies.  Still remember vividly seeing my first buck when I was splitting wood in November and running in the house to tell my mother.  Didn't have many deer back then and the county was primarily a farming county nestled off I-95 which connected Baltimore and Washington D.C..  

Developments soon became common in the 80's....families who had been third and fourth generation farmers began selling their places and the real estate market boomed, the population was growing by leaps and bounds...and so did the deer.   When I got my license in the early eighties I remember bow hunting several farms that were surrounded by other farms.  Most likely the deer on these places rarely ever came close to an occupied structure.  

I also remember running around on almost 600 acres of corn and pasture from neighboring farms that surrounded my grandparent's place...saw very few houses.  Used to be my favorite pastime in the fall to climb on top of the barn roof...a good forty feet high...sit for hours in the evening and pattern the deer year after year.  Oh, the memories!

Fastforward:

Wish I had a pic, but today you can probably see 80 to 100 houses just from the knoll behind my grandad's barn. Sure has changed...and so has the hunting.  I wouldn't say the hunting's changed for the worse...just much different than it used to be.  True farmland deer probably don't exist around here any longer as most of the remaining farms are bordered by developments and the deer spend much of their time hiding out here during the daytime hours.   Many of these farms are leased (on average from 4 to 6 grand a year) for hunting rights....so they're hunted hard.   A word of advice:  don't hunt the farms...hunt the surrounding residential properties!

Bottom line is I've had to modify my hunting methodology in order to adapt to the ever changing environment.   We've got a county full of tree huggers that work for the government.   I wear camouflage in order to keep the neighbors from seeing me walk around with my longbow on a 3 to 5 acre piece of property, though I probably could shoot the same amount of deer without it.    

In some places, where I have to walk through the open yard of a customer's property to get to my stand and I think the neighbors might be watching, I'll walk to my stand in street clothes with my bow disassembled and arrows packed.   Then I'll assemble everything and dress when I get in the stand.  I've been trying out the ASAT leafy wear and like it overall.  Can be a little noisy at times and the sticker bushes love it, but I've had people walk right by me.  Late season is great in one regard...the cold keeps most folks inside, but it stinks with lack of foliage.  Makes it tougher to go unnoticed.

Evening seems to be the ideal time to hunt since darkness helps conceal the removal of the bambi.  I feel like I'm doing something morally questionable as I'm describing suburban hunting, but these are the facts, like them or not.   If I'm in a tight development I'll try to keep my shots close and take the higher percentage ones...broadside-three-bladed-double-lungers are my favorite.  My average recovery in these places is somewhere in the forty yard range.  It can be done!  I'll save the trick shots to places that are less surrounded by folks.

Instead of the peace and quiet that I used to enjoy when hunting, I now am used to hearing car doors slam, kids screaming at the top of their lungs, teens talking on their cell phones and arguing with their parents, dogs barking, and sirens galore.   I know a lot about people who don't know me.    :)    But, hey, I'm just minding my own business.  It's not uncommon for me to be up in a tree and have kids playing in the next yard over, or the homeowner (of the property I'm hunting) gardening only thirty yards away.  They usually wave and smile.  One would think this would somehow have a negative affect on deer movement, but it doesn't...believe me!   It always astonishes me how deer can lay up in the smallest of places, have people walk within yards of them and not care because they know the routine so well.  I don't doubt that these deer are very familiar with the smell of these people and aren't alarmed whatsoever.  

These same deer also know the boundaries of dogs that wear the electronic collars.  I've witnessed countless deer grazing and feeding within yards of big dogs barking their heads off at them.  They also know the routine places that vehicles are parked...I learned this the hard way having parked my truck in the wrong spot and watched the lead doe get really nervous at it and blow off.  I've used their routines against them many times....ok., I'll admit that I cheat and don't hunt the hard way.  I'll climb in my customer's tree houses (the ones that come from Home Depot and Lowes), climb in their storage sheds and barns, climb in the back of their junked pickup truck beds, even hang treestands right next to their driveways.  Whatever it takes to get in the middle of the routine - I'll try it!  One time a customer who had a couple restored tractors asked me if I'd like to stand on the back of one with my bow while he putts around his yard where the deer just let him pass within feet!  I politely told him thanks, but I'd like a bit more challenge.    :)    

BTW:  residential bucks can get huge nowadays.  I figure it's partly from eating choice vegetables from people's gardens coupled with the low hunting pressure.  I've got three or four B&C caliber bucks on film that lived in or near developments.

So, I want to hear about your experience with suburbia hunting.  Have any tricks of the trade...let's hear them!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Suburbia hunting...anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Lol I hear you buddy I hunted the same way when I lived in WI there are monster buck close to houses

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
I hunt in a city hunt (Coralville, IA) that sounds a lot like what you are doing. They have a manditory orientation meeting with rules and requests. One also has to pass a "proficiency test" - 3 of 5 in a 9" target at 20yds.

Rules include: no shots over 75 ft, no stands within 75 ft of streets or property lines (600 ft from schools), call the police for assistance if a hit deer runs onto questionable retreival property - the PD is very pro active in facilitating the hunt. Stand hunting only, no driving or stalking.

Some of the suggestions are: Don't dress in your Rambo camos with bow in hand - keep the bow in a case and wear non threatening clothes to walk to the area. Don't leave gut piles in obvious sight, etc.

There are public areas and hunting on private ground by permission.

This hunt has been going on for about 7 years and there have been zero complaints. Plus, it works better - by counts made by the DNR - at reducing deer numbers than the adjacent town's (Iowa City, IA) use of "sharpshooters" that masacre the deer at night with bait and riffles.

In town or suburban deer are fun to hunt and challenging in different ways. They are not as spooked by human scent, but they are very aware of their surroundings and the local patterns.

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
ive hunted like that too.  i have to say, it can be fun/successful, but i am not fond of being so close to people when hunting.  its not for safety as much as them getting bothered by it and making a big stink of it.  its never happened to me and i should prob give people more credit.  its amazing but deer thrive in areas like that, they are so adaptable.  my hometown has had to let hunters bowhunt inside city limits to cut down on the number of deer, its not too successful due to the guidelines, but the number of deer is unreal.
live and die by shades of grey

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 04:24:00 AM »
Ken, hunted the back yard bucks for years. Did all the things you talked about. Used to be in my stand at sunrise and read the paper over the shoulder and through the window of the guy in his kitchen getting ready for work. Only thing is, the area is full of "animal right activists" who loved to get police involved when they see you with a bow  :readit:  . The local police like to push you out because they want the big bucks for them selves. I even saw a cop shoot a deer with a shot gun during bow season out of his cruiser in a local leaf dump. If there is a program in effect for your area as some have mentioned, that's great. we need more stuff like that. For me, I'm back to big woods hunting. I don't fill 8-10 tags a year like I did in the Burbs, but I have a great time trying.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Shaun - Glad to hear the program is working for ya'll.  I'm not totally sure, but I think we have to be a thousand yards away from school zones.

Reminds me of the D.C. Malvo sniper case six or seven years ago.  I was in a tree in my customers place in Silver Spring when a helicopter was circling me just above the treetops checking me out.  At the time I figured a convict escaped, but on my way home saw tons of police cars and choppers everywhere...heard on the radio about the random shootings.  After that, I carried one arrow with a big rubber blunt point just in case.   :)  

Jerry - I do think it's easier filling a tag in the suburbs than the big woods or big farms.  Since my kids are older my time for hunting is somewhat limited.  I remember keeping tabs on my outings vs. the times I down a deer one year - in the early to mid season it was around 75% success rate with typical stand times being in the hour and a half to two hours.

Late season always seems to back the ratio off a little due to the herd factor...more eyes and ears and noses.  Usuall herds numbers seem to top off at 8 to 10, though I've seen as high as 15 in a couple.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Ken, 8-10 deer at a time is nice, and most here would drool over that. The places I hunted were much more populated than that. Some of the bigger wood lots had heards of 20-30 deer running around together. Deer were a serious problem around there. They put a new highway through the area and averaged 15 road kills a night for the first year it was open. Never mind the landscape damage to properties from browsing as the woods grew smaller. Still, the bleeding hearts don't want any one to "murder" the deer. That's a whole other story. I also averaged hunts lasting only a couple of hours. I would say a 80% success rate.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Love my 42 suburban tract.  Be in a tree within 20 minutes from my door.  Killed my first 3 trad deer from a stand that I can wave to the homeowner as he drives on his property.  Averaged about 5 deer per year for the last year with trad and compound gear.  Only complaint is I get every other Friday off and about 8:00 is always when the nearest neighbors yard service comes and I have to hear 2 leaf blowers for an hour.  Watched a non-typical 10 point cross behind my friends house just inside the woods, he stopped and watched the kids on the swing set for about 30 seconds and then trotted on his way.  It is different, but it is nice almost always seeing deer.

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Post from a total newbie here, but my only experience is hunting just as you described.  I even contemplated placing the landowners around doing chores in the garden to bump the deer a bit over toward my ground stand.  I contemplated a stand on top of a tool shed too.  

It felt wierd, but you know that's what I've got to work with.  The landowners are friends of mine and the deer are there -- so be it.  Now just to score finally!
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline canadian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
In the past couple of years I haven't had much time to spend scouting and even getting away for any length of time especially overnight has been few and far between.  (not complaining I have two wonderful boys Trapper and Hayden that have been keeping me close to home. Now 21 and 3 months old)  I have just over 13 acres at home that I have been hunting when ever I have an hour or two to myself.  I was suprised at how many animals there are right in my back yard.  I have taken several very respectable bucks and this year I took a plump doe for the freezer.  She by the way was the 16th animal under my stand that morning.  Until I can start taking the boys with me I will be doing this and I am happy with that.  I do still make time to go for moose though.
murph

Offline Ghostman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
When Im hunt I love the peace and solitude of quiet woods. I can't stand sitting in a tree listening to kids scream, dogs barking, radios blaring, car doors slaming etc.

I realize big deer can be found around housing developments & suburban areas and that a lot of people have to hunt in those conditions, but If I had to hunt like you do in those conditions I'd either plan a lot of trips or give it up.

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
I hear ya, Ghostman.  Your post gave me a good chuckle.   :)  

Oh yeah, the leaf blower mentioned above....

That brought back to memory 1995 when I filmed three bucks (172", 155", and 120") walk within 20 yards of the neighbor mowing his yard.  The only thing that separated them from him were a few skinny trees!

Most suburbia folks just aren't aware of their surroundings.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
Im one of those guys who can put up with the people if it puts me in the woods more.

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
i was one of a few archers recruited to hunt a suburban tract to thin the herd down.  when the development was first put in all the home owners were dead set against deer hunting anywhere close to their area.  now they are begging hunters to come in to hunt.  when i first drove through the neiborhood it was humorous to see $500,000 homes with yards of chicken wire around their shrubs in a vain attempt to keep the deer from mowing them to the ground.  tacky doesn't come close to describing the scene.  i had one fellow to ask me to hunt from his back deck and offered cooler of beer to keep me company, it was tempting.  i also had a couple teenagers put on a show beside their pool while i was hunting one afternoon.  by the way they were walking around in their birthday suits, i don't think the boy's parents were home.  the binocular came in handy that day!  can't wait to get back in their this fall.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
I live in Northern NJ about a 30  minute drive from Mid Town Manahttan. I've been hunting for only 10 years and have learned how to hunt in suburbia. There was this one area about 3/4 of a mile from my home where I could slip in the woods after work and hunt. But some time during mid season, the local police posted no hunting signs all over the place so that the tree huggers could walk there dogs and their kids could tear up the woods playing paint ball or riding ATV's. Finding a place to hunt in the country's most densely populated state grows harder and harder every year. I'll bet almost anything that in the next few years they will resort to hireing sharp shooters to cut down on the deer population. They already have numerous deer vs. car accidents as well as homeowners complaining about the deer eating the landscapeing that costs thousands of dollars. Seems the people with the most money see no problems with spending tons of money for sharp shooters and turn their noses down on licensed hunters who would hunt the deer for free or to give a share of the meat to the land owners.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Dang Mechslasher! I hope those teenage boys had girls running around with them that you were looking at.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
it was definately a boy and girl.  all i could think was that girls weren't that "filled out" when i was in high school and she was a natural blond to boot.  they put on quite a show, at least for a few minutes.  i hunted that stand hard for several days after without seeing a single deer.  i had just spoke to the boy's father the day before about hunting beside his house and meet his son.  oh to be young and in high school again!
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 02:34:00 PM »
I actually hunted inside the city limits of Newark DE.  Bought an out of state license.  every time we took a deer to the check station, the game manager gave me two free tickets.  Said, "anybody that can bring down the city population of deer, gets a good ride from me.  Just aren't that many bowhunters allowed in the city."  the first time i thought I had done something wrong and he was citing me!  
City hunting is some of the best, too.  Dogs, kids and cars pass without them even picking up those acorn eating heads.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »
Best hunting my brother has in northern IL is at a campground!  Big bucks and good sightings.  They almost ignore their nose.  Act like a camper and shoot deer.

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
ROADKILL ive seen some nice bucks within blocks of university of deleware

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©