3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most effective string silencer for recurves ?  (Read 2855 times)

Offline nutmeg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most effective string silencer for recurves ?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
My own homemade srting puffs. Nothing I have ever used works better.
Rich Potter

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
The farmers property I hunt has these huge belgian sheep, the wool is the best I have found for silencing my bows. It is very water resistant as well. I will be getting a supply in a few weeks, when they shear them in late spring. PM me and I willsend ya some!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I'm a curve shooter and anal about having a quiet bow. If I get a bow that is loud, one of two things happen. I will work on the bow and use everything I have learned to quiet it down. If it gets to the point where I have run everything on the bow and it still is too loud for my taste, it's gone. With that said, I have only had a couple bows that I couldn't quiet up. I have tried it all and here is what I found. Bowhush/Hushpuppies will work well on 95% of the bows out there. I also have a couple MM strings on a couple bows and they are good strings but they are expensive and can take some time to get them after you order them. I just placed a order for Bowhush/Hushpuppies reinforcements tonight. Got several bows that I need to docter up. My advise is to give Bowhush/Hushpuppies a try. They are very reasonably priced and I'd bet they will take care of business for ya.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by SpankyNeal:
Bow Hush and Hush Puppies on a recurve - nothing better IMHO.
DITTO
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
I use a similar set-up to the bow hush on 'curves, lambs wool yarn for the string wraps as well as the puff-ball silencers.  I sold a bow to a friend in Iowa and he immediately removed them and installed cat-whiskers because the woolies load up with burrs, etc. in his neck of the woods.
   I agree with some of the above posts on LBs, near anything will work.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
I use the musk ox silencers sold by 3 rivers, I think they work great, and they last well. I would recommend them.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 07:09:00 AM »
Hi Gordy,

You might find this link handy for your BlackWidows...

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=056415;p=1

Regards,

AK.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline GhostWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
String Harmonics is the vibrations on the string when plucked or in the case of a bow when the string is released. Using String Harmonics we are able to predict in strings where the most vibrations will occur by simply dividing the length of the unobstructed string by multiples of 2’s and 3’s.

Unobstructed String  is found where the string last touches/contacts the upper and lower limbs of the bow. Lets just say that this length is 50”. Now we divide by multiples of 2’s and 3’s to find out where the most harmonics/vibrations will occur.
50”/2 =  25” or 1/2 point.

50”/3 = 16.66” or 1/3 points

50”/4 =  12.5” or ¼ points

50”/6 =  8.33” or 1/6 points

50”/8 =  6.25” or 1/8 points

50”/9 =  5.55” or 1/9 points

This continues 1/10, 1/12, 1/14, 1/15, etc…

Most people find out that the ¼ points are a good starting point. Now the string will have it’s greatest vibrations at the ½ point and next the 1/3 points but your not going to have a silencer placed in the ½ point of your string. The 1/3 points may be distracting as the silencer on the upper limb might be close to your eye when you draw.

Now by placing your silencers in the parts of the string where the most vibrations occur will greatly reduce the noise and vibrations of your bow. It is also important to note that there are places in your string where there is little or no movement or vibrations as the string resonates, these are called dead zones and when we place silencers in these areas we are definitely robbing our bows of speed and energy. The opposite might occur by properly placed silencers. When shooting a compound bow thru a chronograph I actually lost 5 fps in speed once I removed the silencers…. Go figure…

Rubber is the best material for reducing vibrations. You won't see any limb savors made of wool or beaver balls...

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Rubber whiskers and a heavy arrow that is the correct spine.
SL

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
I like cat whisker material...in colors that match my string ...looks cool and works the best in rainy conditions or dry...2nd would be otter more waterproof than beaver!!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  For the Hush Puppies.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
Mountain Muffler strings are the best recurve silencing method I've found, and they don't detract much speed at all. Very well made and great customer service!

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 01:35:00 AM »
One of the best but seldom considered, is a little more arrow weight. I just finished fine tuneing a bareshaft. At 585 grains she shot very good and the bow was quiet. I increased to 610 grains just for the heck of it. Now there's just a light thunk. All the difference in the world!

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
I've always used rubber catwhiskers- and I still prefer them over any wet hairballs. I have been wanting to try a Mountain Muffler string or some BowHush, especially on my Fastflight bow. Can you still get them?

-Charlie

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Charlie, I can PM you the contact info for Mountain Mufflers if you want. They're still taking orders.

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
Please. I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Charlie

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
You could always try shooting handguns without hearing protection in the off season.  Over the years I've met several guys who have done this and they say the don't hear anything.  :knothead:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I use one pair of Wooly Whispers and that's all that is needed.  Try to get the bow as quiet as you can through fistmele adjustment first, then add silencers.  

If you silencers get wet, just snap the sting a few times at about a 3 inch draw and the water will be mostly gone.  Excessive noise may be a tiller issue as well.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
You'll get the Bow Hush much quicker. 8 weeks for a MM string last I knew.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
I prefer the Bow Hush and Hush Puppy combination on my recurves.  I have ordered several sets for friens after they witness how much more quiet my bow is.  
   They will work for you.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©