3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hide tanning in Montana  (Read 2133 times)

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
Hide tanning in Montana
« on: October 23, 2018, 01:52:18 PM »
Anyone know of anyone in Montana that is tanning elk and deer hides hair on and hairless?  I have a few hides that I’d like to make into leather.  On my list of things to do myself but not quite there yet.

Scott

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hide tanning in Montana
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
Google Moyles I think they are in Idaho but might work for you if you don’t find a contact locally
<><
<———————<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
Seen ol' Tom Oar on the TV. Lives in the Yak. Might he could handle that for ya.      :shaka:
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Online Montanabows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »
 Scott      Hair Hide and fur Arlee   MT     Dan

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »
Thanks Dan.  How’s season going?

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »
Alright just an update on my findings.  Hardly anyone does leather tanning.  But the folks at Moyles gave me a hell of a list of tannerys and fur dealers.  I found one called Century Leather Products.  They do hair on and hairless.  They are based in Owatonna Minnesota.  Anyway, just wanted to give y’all an update and say thanks for names given.

Offline nmiller08

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:37:55 PM »
Scott, good to see you here, didn't know you were on tradgang.  And thanks for the info...a number of years back I held on to an elk hide (in a bag in a chest freezer) and couldn't find any local options.  I kept it probably over a year, but finally my wife had had enough of it and chucked it!  Granted, it took up a lot of space.  It was one of those things I wanted to figure out how to do myself but never seemed to find the time.  Thanks for the update on your findings!
Nick

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 12:43:34 AM »
Hey man......yeah, I pop on once in a while.  How’s season going for ya?

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »
What Dan said...Montana Rug and Tanning... Arlee Mont. 406-726-7847.  Hair on only.  Did a bear for me in 8 weeks. 

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:30 AM »
Yeah I was bummed they didn’t do leather tanning as I wanted to keep it local but for hair on absolutely.

Offline nmiller08

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
Hey man......yeah, I pop on once in a while.  How’s season going for ya?

Slow...haha, kiddo has been bringing home every sickness in the world from daycare, I don't think I've been out since that last email I sent you.  Itching to get out in the next few weeks, hope you're doing well!

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 10:49:01 AM »
I took two whitetail does with my tradbow, a smaller mulie buck with my rifle last week and my mulie b tag with my gun.  I’ve had like no time like yourself so I’m just working on half day hunts.  I got out for elk in a spot I wanted to early archery hunt but work and farm stuff got in the way.  Evening hunt last night.  Saw 4 moose at 15 yards and loads of elk sign so I’m hoping I can notch that tag soon enough.  Keep me posted if you knock anything down.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
Hair off tanning is a very specialized process and there are only a few tanneries around the country that do it.Often they only run one or two batches per year vs hair on tanneries that may run batches every two or three weeks.Also,many hair on tanneries only do wholesale work for taxidermists so you have to shop around.

Offline nmiller08

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 07:51:53 PM »
I took two whitetail does with my tradbow, a smaller mulie buck with my rifle last week and my mulie b tag with my gun.  I’ve had like no time like yourself so I’m just working on half day hunts.  I got out for elk in a spot I wanted to early archery hunt but work and farm stuff got in the way.  Evening hunt last night.  Saw 4 moose at 15 yards and loads of elk sign so I’m hoping I can notch that tag soon enough.  Keep me posted if you knock anything down.

Well it sounds like you're doing great, glad to hear it!  I'll let you know if anything exciting happens, do the same, I hope those elk showed up for you at that spot!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©