3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bicycle for hunting.....  (Read 8012 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Bicycle for hunting.....
« on: October 24, 2018, 11:49:04 PM »
Has been a subject on some other sites recently , anyone here use a bicycle for hunting. I did it many years ago but the places I hunt are covered in thorn trees and cactus , every single ride I got a flat. So it was very short lived ordeal to say the least. Buddy gave me his old mountain bike so I made another up for another try I put slime tubes and also added more slime to them and put liners in the tires. Been looking and saw where you can make the tires tubeless , or find solid tube-like deals to put in the tires. Also heard fill with a liquid that turns to solid foam , I just don’t think the slime tubes are going to work. Will be riding the bike for the next several days and report back. I really like the look and reasoning for one of the fat-tire bikes but have only rode one once. Really need to figure out the flat tire thing though....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bicycle for hunting.....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 11:50:23 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline slatty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 12:49:29 AM »
Hi Sam,
I'm into mountain biking and although I don't ride tubeless tires, they're all the rage. The friends I have that ride them get way less flats than I do, and when they do, they're fixed pretty easily. The main cost is that you need specific wheels and tires to go tubeless. Once you fork up for these and a little slime you're usually good.
I occasionally haul a trailer and hunt and camp with my old hardtail mountain bike. I like using the burley flatbed cargo trailer. There's lots of different ones out there but this one can handle 100lbs, is light, and isn't too expensive. I hate biking with a backpack, it really throws your weight off, nice to just strap your pack to a trailer.
Mike

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »
Looking forward to the responses to this thread. I plan a 2-3 week hog hunt in Texas in Feb.-Mar.  Because of a bad hip, I will bring an electric bike, so I can hunt from camp without resorting to the truck. I’ll mainly keep to the ranch roads, but am still concerned about thorns in the tires.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 01:16:24 PM »
Go tubeless! I rode over 300 miles on my mountain bike in Arizona last year without a single flat. The sealant does need to be refreshed every six months or so, but it works! Can't tell you how many cactus thorns I pulled out but the sealant plugs it right up. I don't recall the name of the sealant I used, but your local bike shop should have a recommendation. 
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 01:35:38 PM »
I have a fat tire bike that works great for getting out to the woods for hunting.  As a fairly experienced life long mountain biker, I found that I prefer the fat tires over standard tires.  I have also found that the cyclic sound of tires rolling over grass and some leaves does not spook game as much as footsteps.  A few times, I've ridden right up on deer in the dark when turning around the corner of a cornfield.

I have a trailer but haven't used it for hunting.  I use a backpack or my on-bike panneir bags.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
Stan's No Tubes sealant works great for tubeless but your rims also need to accommodate a tubeless setup.  Stan's website will be a good resource for you. 

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »
Thanks guys...

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 07:24:31 AM »
I ride tubeless, you'll get fewer flats, carry a pump and plugs incase you do and you can be rolling again in minutes.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 12:52:32 AM »
Watched a bunch of videos and am going to do a DIY tubeless ( cheap version) on my bike. Also going to buy a fat-tire bike and try it out...

Thanks for the help....

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »
With my job we pump the liquid foam into industrial tires and have done some bike tires but I recommend not using the liquid foam because it is very heavy it has the same weight as water.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 12:52:39 PM »
when i was a kid, there were solid rubber " inner tubes" the were spongey and reasonably light, and didnt quite feel the same as air, but we were envious of those kids, as they never got flats.

i love the idea of a bike, no thorns up here, but one can cycle in, and if lucky, strap a deer to the frame, and just push the bike out, we have long distances to go up here.
will be following this thread.
 those fat bikes are really awesome

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 11:08:34 AM »
Been considering tubeless myself, cotton stubble gets my tires each season at least once.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 07:13:22 PM »
Purchased an electric fat tire bike 2 years ago. First modification before heading to woods was add Mr. Tuffy liners, slime tubes and a rear rack.. Have not had a flat nor needed to add air. Now I can get to most places quietly and not break a sweat doing it. Love that bike.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 03:20:53 PM »
My favorite late-season hunt (special drawing) requires a 7-mile trek.  The first 4 miles are along a dirt road behind a locked gate.  The last 3 miles are down a steep trail into a wilderness area.  I've started to take those first 4 miles by bike.  It's a slow climb just about the whole way -- lowest gears.  A bike trailer lets me haul up a backpack & my bow.  It takes me about 90 min to get to the wilderness trailhead and only about 20 minutes to get back.  After climbing out of that canyon with a pack, the speed of the bike down that dirt road feels so fun.

I've yet to take a deer out of that canyon but have gotten pretty darned close.  By the time I make it out, I'm usually grateful that I'm not also hauling out a deer as it's no mere stroll in the woods.  That tag allows for the use of muzzleloaders as well so if I get drawn again next year, I'll likely take my percussion rifle and see how it feels to hike the trail twice and see how the trailer & brakes hold up to the heavier load.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2018, 11:19:13 PM »
I am having trouble posting a pic but I have been using an electric  bike to get to my stands.  I fixed up a rack to carry my bow and am able to get pretty close without making a lot of racket.  I have the fat tires and flats were really a problem at first because we have a lot of thorns.   I put the green slime in the tires and it helped a lot but I am interested in the tubeless approach. 

With the fat tires, it helps a lot to get fenders because otherwise, you will get muddy and wet when it rains.

I think I figured out the picture deal.   Here is my bike — it is a RAD Power Bike and I have been very happy with it.   The bow rack is a custom job that I made out of the shooting rail that comes with the ladder stands that I use. 😀
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:52:57 AM by TexasTrad »

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »
Check out a company called Cogburn outdoors (I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s called). They have a camo Fat bike and sell a bow/gun rack to be mounted to the back of a bike. They used to make all sorts of bags, racks, etc...  Not sure how much of that stuff they still make. If I were going for a new fatbike now I’d look at the Surly Ice Cream Truck, Wednesday or Pugsley. All awesome bikes, but I’m partial to Surly. I currently have 2.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »
Well, just looked at cogburn’s website and looks like they went out of business. I’d bet you could still find those racks though with little trouble.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
I ride a Felt DD30, it's a mid range fat bike and I love it.  I used to use a standard mt bike for getting into my hunting area, and since it was wide open the whole way there, I got some ATV gun rack mounts and put them on my handlebars, and carried my bow in them, sitting like a wide set of antlers..  I probably looked like a big weird moose from a ways off.  They were rubber so they didn't scratch the bow.  Don't use them now... I attach the bow to my pack, or sometimes carry it off the end of the handlebar, hanging on my hand from around where the nock point is on the string.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 09:58:30 AM »
Been starting my research for a bike too.  Since waiting my knee surgery, in need of one.  Thinking a Fat tire bike.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©