3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is using and killing things with GrizzlyStiks TDT?  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is using and killing things with GrizzlyStiks TDT?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
BTW, those Gold tips in the quiver are not what broke earlier this year.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 12:48:25 AM »
A buddy of mine who I taught to shoot the longbow was given a half a doz at no cost because he writes for an online publication. He broke two practicing and went back to his gold tips. I've heard lots about how tough they are but was not my buddies experience.

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 02:38:56 AM »
i'm using the 400 spine for this season, sorry to say i've had no shots with them so for

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:03:20 AM »
I use the original version but I’ve liked them so far.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »
I will be shortly. I got a nice sample kit from Todd Smith and have been experimenting all weekend. I have never had arrows so well tuned. I'm going to finish out the next week with the gear I started the season with,and transition into the Grizzly Stiks for the late season.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:27:59 AM »
Roger, what are your specs? What flies best for you? So far they seem like they would be really tough, though I don't want to intentionally break one to see what the limit is. I have the 320s. I'd like to try the 400s with a few of the weights stacked in. It looks like you can add weight without changing your tune because the shaft stiffens w each weight?
I like the idea of the thick carbon up front. Today's long broadheads can put a lot of leverage pressure in the insert and break it out when an angled impact happens. It happens with the long target points and the bigger hex blunts too.
 I did torture test one, but it was not intentional. I was doing the no-no of shooting a bare shaft with a broadhead on it. I shot it about 3-4 times at 12 yards and it was hitting pretty straight. Then I tried to make a video for tradgang and had to back up to 15 yards where I could stick the ihpone in a pc of target to film the shot in slow motion. I stepped up on a treestand platform and shot. The arrow veered left at the last moment and sunk the broadhead in the wood target frame and a severe angle. The shaft really whipped to the side when it hit. I thought for sure it snapped but there was no damage except the brass outside footing was bent right where a shaft would usually break. So - unintentionally duplicated the worst condition for snapping an arrow behind the head. The nock backed out about 1/32".
For side impacts I did smack two together in the bale (rare for me), there is a pretty good scuff on one, I flexed and twisted it pretty hard and it's still OK.
Tedd

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »
I bare shaft tested (out to 25 yards) a 400, perfect flight was achieved with 1 50 grain weight, and 200 grains up front. Any more weight and the showed spine weak. My only problem is that after fletching, total grain weight was only 590 (not a big deal, but I'm looking for 650+)

So....after conferring with Todd, I am going to order 320's, uncut. I will trim that back as required, hoping to land at 28.5 inches. I expect to be able to then use the FORGED 300 grain single bevel head, probably without any other weight. And I should land just shy of 700 grains.

I'm shooting a 60# Northern Mist Ramer,My true draw length is about 27 inches.

I will experiment with cap dipping these, I know it seems trivial, but that extra 15 grains of paint and fletching might change things.

As an aside...I had to fletch these RW, because I was trying some broad heads from them also. The only RW fletching I had was from making kids arrows....4 inch, low profile. I'm a HUGE advocate of lots of feather...not just for regular flight, but for wet field conditions. Because of that, the LEAST feather I shoot is 5.5 inch High back parabolic. I have lots of arrows fletched with more feather than that.  BUT...this arrow with hardly no feather flies like a dart.

I have never had an arrow shaft tune easier, or more precisely.

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Journeymen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 06:29:25 AM »
I am shooting 320 grizzly sticks. I really like them and found them easy to bare shaft tune . My freind also shoots grizzly sticks 400 and they fly perfect out to 40 yards . Once tuned , I found them very forgiving, and fly perfect from my longbow or Recerve with the same shaft.
Silvertip  Recerve
Tallon  longbow
Allen Rothar Recerve
Robertson Purist

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »
These 2 bucks i shot last year fell to a Grizzly 320 TDM Shaft and XXL Siver Flame.   I also shot 3 hogs and 4 does. All these animals were killed with Grizzly arrows and XXL BH out of  a 39#( hurt elbow) @ 29" homemade recurve. Shot through all except 7pt. These new Victory shafts ABS Grizzly has partnered up with is Outstanding quality.

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
Are these arrows only for heavier weight bows? The feedback is appealing, but are they good for bows around the 50 pound draw weight range? Or even less with drawing shorter that 28''?

Jeremy

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
yes...i was shooting a 39# last year.. i made a new pair of 55# this year and shooting 320 at 29" and 175gr XXL
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 06:16:43 AM »
If your looking for durable stick with the 320, should be stronger than the 400.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 10:22:30 AM »
I am shooting them - but have had no shot opportunities yet!!!   :pray:

I am shooting a straight ended longbow (Jim Belcher's Union Jack) right at 51# - 52# @ 27.5 - 28". Arrows are 29.5" 400's with Ashby 315 heads and Alaskan prototype 300-grain heads. TAW 761grains (With the Alaskans. +15 for the Ashby heads) FOC 31% (They fly just great!)

Have also been stump shooting with them. Hit some pretty hard stumps - no breaks.  :archer2:

Todd  :archer:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
Been hunting the last few days but finally got to fletch up some more Grizzlystiks. This time They have two coats of cap dip and cresting with clear over the crested part, Easton nocks exchanged for the supplied nocks, 70 grain stock insert/w built in footing. When I was finishing up I found two new Zwickey Deltas in the junk bucket and the correct broadhead adapters to get the weighted up. My gosh they shot great and look like they will open a serious hole. It's been years since I used them. But I like the way they look and short of screwing on my last remaining and somewhat abused treeshark, this is the most deadly looking thing I could find today.
  I have had all sorts of bad luck trying to kill deer this year including one this week the was dead on its feet and made a violent mad dash. I gave him a 1/2 hour then took up the track. He went about 100 yards in a few seconds. Quickly I realized he tried to cross the road. And then stepped out onto the hard road! (the hazards of urban hunting). There was a skid mark (I didn't hear anything, bad ears, howling wind and I was walking back to the house). So I didn't know what happened. After two hours  of wondering where in the hell the deer is, I realized someone came by and picked him up!
Not sure what kind of person does that. Anyhow for the last week I'm going to start the Zwickey/Grizzlystik combo. VPA/goldtip is on the bench. Just needed to change it up.

Offline HartHeart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
I really like how these look, but it's hard for me to justify the price. Still wanting to hear more reviews on durability. At the price they are now they better last a couple years...
Ruler of Peace

Custom Shrew Classic Hunter II 48#@28"

Offline earthlyed0607

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »
I have dozens of them sitting in a bucket I was shooting the 315 head and think it is to long for the alum. insert I have a cup full broken insert outsert I call to inquire and the woman on the phone was not a all helpful I did not like the treatment so I reached out to teck support he asked me if I had gen 1 or gen 2 since I bought them when they first came out I said gen 1 he recommended I tell her to send me some gen 2 .I call back she say's she will send me some she sent 6 I spent over 4 grand with that company now I shoot AD taperd shafts made in USA real tough affordable 

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »
Mine remain accurate for me. I haven't yet had any problem with the inserts/footing. These are not the same arrows at the first generation so experience with those doesn't apply here. These are made by Victory. They are far superior in consistency of spine and straightness compared to the AD.
 You can use Black Eagle stainless inserts in the TDT. I have two of my arrows made up with those and they work fine. Those BE stainless inserts are tough but I feel like the GrizzlyStik aluminum insert would be just as strong or better because of the footing.
 You can use any .204 inserts. I tried the Easton HIT inserts but I don't like them.
Tedd

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 07:23:45 PM »
I've been interested in them for a while but every one that I've put on an arrow spinner wobbled worse than ANY new non-wood arrow that I have seen.  I've only looked at about 4 batches of them that came out of two different time eras so granted I could have seen two bad batches but I couldn't bring myself to buy a crooked arrow which couldn't be made straight.

I love the design concept of these arrows.  If I could find a bunch that were straight and consistent in spine, I'd go to them in a heartbeat despite the opulent pricing.  I'm able to get enough shots out of carbons that the cost spread out over the hundreds of shots is irreverent as compared to shooting consumable gunpowder and lead in my bang sticks.  To me, arrows don't really have a pricepoint.  Arrows IMO just have features that I value and quality that I find acceptable...but then again, I'm a one bow man too so I'm not buying arrows for dozens of bows either.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:21:48 PM by Tedd »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©