3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I got a special buck with my special TradGang bow!!!!  (Read 8551 times)

Bisch

I got a special buck with my special TradGang bow!!!!
« on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
The TG St Jude auction has always been a really cool thing to me. Back in 2011, I was lucky enough to get drawn to have the Hope bow for a month during deer season. It was a Stalker Custom Tracker longbow (I’m pretty sure South does not make that one anymore). In the month I had that bow, I was lucky enough to take 5 critters with the bow during my time with her, and it was a sad day when I had to send her on to the next person on the list.

The auction came and went in 2012, and I was not the lucky winner of the bow. I was sad about that, but life goes on!!!

A couple years later there was a thread where that bow was mentioned. I posted a lament about how I wished I had bought that bow.

Soon after,there was a PM in my inbox, and the next thing I knew, a deal was done and Hope was headed my way!

It had been quite a while since I had shot the bow, and when I got it, it did not have the “feel” I remembered from the passaround time I spent with her!

Well, after a lot of consideration, I took a sander to the riser and reshaped it a bit, and had a little weight reduced.

She then felt really good again, but I was so in love with my Sarrels Blueridge longbow, that I just never put a lot of effort into shooting her.

Then, in 2016, I severely pinched a nerve in my neck. It really messed up my left arm. It has been a 2yr struggle to try to get back to the level of shooting that I was at before the injury. I’m not there yet, but things continue to slooooooooooowly improve in baby steps.

Anyway, for the last 2yrs, I have been very frustrated with my shooting. Last deer season was the worst I have ever experienced as a hunter. So bad, that I went out and bought a c, c, c , aw, you know what I was trying to say!!!  I shot one deer with that mechanical arrow launching device last year. It was not the same, and made me determined to figure things out again.

While still making small improvements this year, I am still not at a level of accuracy where I was prior to the injury.

When Critergetter posted he was going to have a passaround bow for folks to try, I jumped on board. I had shot one of Randy’s bows a bit earlier in the year and was impressed. I wanted to be able to really test one out. Anyway, I got that bow on 10/1/18, and from the very first time stringing her up, noticed I was really shooting well with it.

I was lucky enough to get a nice fat doe with it, and then my time was up, and on its way it went! 

So, what’s a guy to do I broke out my goto Sarrels Blueridge, and noticed again that my accuracy was lacking. I banged my head against the wall trying to figure things out, when it hit my like a train! The grip!!!!!

There was something about the grip on that Primal Tech that was working for me. It was a very different grip than I was used to with my Sarrels.

That’s when I remembered I had Hope in the closet!!!! It had a similar grip to what was on the Primal Tech, so I decided to give it a try.

Wow!! The accuracy was back, not pre-injury, but way better. My hunch was right. There was something in that style grip that was treating me right!

So, I decided to hit the woods. Last Monday, I got a real nice 8pt at a friends ranch.

Fast forward to yesterday morning! I got in my ground blind on my property real early. As daylight approached, I could see a few deer moving around in front of the blind. One of them was very dark, and bigger than the rest. I figured he was probably a buck, but assumed him to be one of the smaller ones that hangs around this area.

It kept getting lighter, and he kept moving in closer. When there was just enough light to make out horns, I almost fell out of my chair. This deer had big horns. I knew he was a shooter before I could make out exactly what he was.

As it continued to get lighter, I realized this was the Wide 6, a deer I had missed twice last season while I was in my funk!

Last year, I had many trail cam pics of this buck, almost all at night. His brow tines laid straight back and could not be seen in the pics, thus the name, Wide 6. Once I saw him in person (and completely missed him twice in two consecutive days) I realized he did indeed have brow tines, but the name stuck!

I have only had 2 or 3 nighttime pics of this buck all year this year, and never expected to see him on this day, but there he was right in front of me!!!!

It got lighter, light enough to shoot, and he worked into a good position at about 11yds. I went on autopilot, and the arrow was away! I instantly knew it was a good hit. It wasn’t very cold, but I began to shiver as I realized that I had just shot this majestic buck!!! 

He made it about 80yds in a straight line to his resting place. I was in awe as I walked up to him and got to see up close just how cool of a deer he really is!

So, it’s nice to know that when things are down, there is always “Hope”!!!

Sorry this got so long winded! I’m not much for story telling, but thought this buck was sure worthy of a story!!!!

Bisch
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:10:03 AM by Bisch »

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I got a special buck with my special TradGang bow!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:14 PM »
What a great buck Bisch -- Congrats.  You don't see many that wide or cool looking.

Great shot too!!

Online awry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:46:13 PM »
 Congrats Bisch!  :clapper:
Love the character of those horns.

Bisch

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 12:00:41 AM »
I took him to the taxidermist today, and we put a tape to him. I came up with 129 5/8” gross. I don’t much care about net, as nets are for fishing!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »
Beautiful and unique buck.  Congrats.  Hope your recovery stays on track.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 12:47:57 AM »
Great looking buck, story and pictures, congratulations.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 12:55:31 AM »
Awesome!  Great job!

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 01:01:52 AM »
Cool buck...

,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 01:09:54 AM »
Nice buck ! Good for you Mr. Bisch. Sorry for your troubles too.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 04:19:54 AM »
Very nice buck, Bisch.

Congratulations.

:thumbsup:

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 04:44:55 AM »
Unique buck to say the least! Great job and hope the shooting continues to progress as health is something not to be taken lightly.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 04:55:01 AM »
That was a great read Bisch. Thank you for sharing and what an amazing buck! 
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 05:49:56 AM »
Very cool buck!! Congratulations!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
Such a unique rack!  Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »
Nice shooting Bisch! That’s a cool deer.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 06:15:36 AM »
Yes sir Bisch!!! 
Congrats in many ways through that story
Tim B

arrow30

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »
kool!..wild looking rack..congratts!  :thumbsup:

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 06:38:31 AM »
What a unique buck, congrats Bisch on sticking with it  and being rewarded.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 07:13:05 AM »
Congrats again Bisch, and great write up! :clapper:

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »
Great buck Bisch!! Way to stick with it and get it done!
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©