3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Our Kennym Lease Hunt 2018  (Read 2690 times)

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
Our Kennym Lease Hunt 2018
« on: October 31, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »
Hey fellow TG it has been quite a while since I have done any posting.  I did something really smart.  I quit my paying job and started my own business.  Well, been really busy.  Not too busy to go to Linneus, MO though for another great hunt.

Me, my son Noah, and son-in-law Darrell had a new member come with us this year.  We brought along Darrell's oldest son.  My nine year old grandson Luke.  I believe Luke had a great time but I know we had a blast with him in his first deer camp.

We got started with a sit on some of Kenny's ladder stands Friday the 19th morning.  By the way, for anyone who has hunted there before, Kenny has all new stands set this year.  Much better than in years past.  He puts alot of work and thought into helping us all have a great time.  Within the first two hours of the hunt Friday morning I had already passed on two small bucks at less than 10 yards.  That is how to get your blood pumping on first sit!!  Darrell and Luke saw deer but none got close enough for a shot.  Noah joined us around 11:00 and we all started looking for some sign to put stands of our own up.

I am going to have to study up on how to post pics and get back to you later this afternoon.  Told you it has been a while.   :laughing:

We have some good stories and pics.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Our Kennym Lease Hunt 2018
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »
 :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »
Good start so far
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

arrow30

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
 :coffee:

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »
The first to set a stand was me.  This was our seventh year to hunt the lease so we know the area pretty well.  But, the deer don't always follow the play books.  I looked at a spot that I have hunted several times and within 10 minutes I told Darrell just exactly where I wanted a stand.  My boys put my stands up now days.  They let me help a little.  They really like for me to pick the nastiest pin oak I can find.

Darrell and Luke were next while Noah went out on his own to figure out a couple spots.  We had to find a spot for them that would support two stands.  We put Darrell and Luke on a fence row between several crossings.  We also found several runs near a bedding areal that we put stands in.  Time to rest and get ready for the afternoon.

We got back on our stands around 3:30.  We text each other to let everyone know we are set and strapped in.  Of course my cell reception is not working very well but I did get my ready to go out.  The afternoon passed for me pretty slowly.  I saw several squirrels but no deer.  I was hidden very well with several limbs with leaves.  Occasionally I would peek around behind me and check out a heavily traveled run.  About 6:00 I peeked and all I saw coming up that run was a nice set of brown antlers.  I had hung my bow on a limb and thought he was going to be on me brefore I could get my bow ready.

I stood and reached for my bow at the same time.  There he was broad side at 11 steps looking right at me 15 feet up.  I closed my eyes and asked him to put his head back down!  LOL and he did.  I opened my eyes picked a spot and drew and released.  The arrow went exactly where I wanted it to go but didn't get a complete pass through as I expected.  He bolted.  I thought I heard him crash but the wind was really blowing so I was uncertain.

Everything happened so fast I didn't have time to get nervous.  But after the shot I was a wreck.  I could barely type a text to Noah who was only about 1/4 mile from me.  When I did get it typed it wouldn't go through.  I waited for 25 minutes which seemed like hours.  While getting down I got busted by 3 doe.  Text finally went through and I met all the boys at the truck at dark.  Now to find the buck.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »
I'm all :thumbsup: in!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 11:37:24 PM »
well done sir! :thumbsup: that's a very pretty bow as well!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »
Very nice, David..

Was thinking about you the other day..

arrow30

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 06:25:22 AM »
congratts!  :thumbsup:

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 06:25:54 AM »
Attaboy David! 
Tim B

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 07:35:38 AM »
Great job David! We sure missed making that trip this year! Congrats on your buck!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »
I hunted on Kenny's place years ago when he first started doing that. It was a great time and he's a great guy. I need to do that again. Congratulations on your deer!

Darren

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:14:57 AM »
Thanks guys.  Burned my buck tag on first day but I didn’t care.  Had a great week and I’ll post more pics.  The killin is not over 😜.

Thanks Larry.  I made the longbow.  54# @ 26”.  64 NTN. Zebra over walnut limbs, wenge and black limbs riser.

Roy I’m still kicking.  I have only built one bow this year.  Little selfbow for my newest grandson.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
 :clapper:  Way to go.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 09:55:42 AM »
Congratulations to you! Awesome buck! Thanks for sharing the story!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 10:23:54 AM »
Nice deer!  Way to go sir! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
Great buck! Congrats. Looking forward to hearing the rest
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 03:32:51 PM »
Congratulations David
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 05:46:16 PM »
 :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©