3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about hunting with Clicker  (Read 1249 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about hunting with Clicker
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
     What's up guys been a while since I've posted but hey it's deer season now. I've posted some before about shooting with a fixed crawl and it has been my go to shooting method this summer but I noticed that I started to develop some anticipation when my arrow tip would get close to the spot I wanted to hit. It was driving me crazy and with hunting season getting real close I decided to start working with the clicker on my bow again and it has helped quite a bit. I still suffer from some anticipation but I can usually catch it and let down as opposed to just flinging the arrow which is what I was doing before.
     I have decided to keep the clicker on my bow during this hunting season, however I have a few issues that I wanted to run by you all that have experience with hunting with the clicker. First off I know it's not super easy to just jump into using the clicker but I do have some past experience with it. My main problem with using it seems to be having trouble getting to the "click" which I use to get that surprise release. I notice that sometimes especially on longer shots I have a lot of trouble getting to the click no matter how short I set the cord that controls the click. I am telling myself to keep pulling but sometimes it feels like an eternity to the click and I either end up letting down (which i know is the right thing to do) or I release if my sight picture feels good. Shorter shots seem much easier but occasionally still a struggle.
    This brings me to my main question about hunting. Are you guys being super disciplined to your clicker or are you doing what you have to do to get a shot off if need be? For example say a buck comes running in and slams on the breaks, are you pulling up and shooting when the sight picture is good or are you pulling up and then pulling until the click goes off in turn risking the possibility of the buck taking off again? Like I said for me sometimes not always but sometimes it is taking me several seconds to get to that click. I've also noticed that if I cant my bow it is also harder for me to get to the click. And I know with a few of my spots I will more than likely have to cant my bow to get a shot off.
   In conclusion I know that I am probably going to do what I need to do to try and make a shot count but I wanted some input from others to see where I stand. My shooting has been sub par this summer but the clicker has seemed to at least bring some bit of discipline back into my shooting with this aiming method. Overall I love using the fixed crawl I feel confident with it but I've noticed that it has brought on maybe even more severe TP into my shooting than I ever had in the past when aiming instinctively.
     Anyway would love some input from anyone willing to chime in. Sorry for rambling. Best of luck to everyone hunting this weekend!

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about hunting with Clicker
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
I use a clicker a bit different than most.  For me its a short term--- day or two workout to get expansion going.  Like you i struggle to get to the click on many shots even though i have it set up correctly.  Once its off the bow i find i shoot much better with my new freedom.  For me it just re-verifies what i know i need to do.  I don't like having one on when hunting--- ive had tape fail and part of the reason i shoot longbow is simplicity.
I was using a grip sear earlier this year and honestly can't tell you if i got through it when shooting at deer and squirrels.  Probably not much help, but this is my experience with them.

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about hunting with Clicker
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
I have hunted with a clicker for about 15 years now and while I have have not always clicked on game I always try to pull all the way through. The few times I havn't I feel it is a fail. As going into it with the attitude you dont need to will promote it happening more often. It will cost you some shots but will give you a more controlled shot. Just my 2 cents and many people who are more disciplined than me can train with one and hunt without.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©