3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrah makin  (Read 681 times)

Offline Arrahslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrah makin
« on: February 10, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
I've been shooting a Longbow for about 4 weeks now and I'm having a blast to say the least. A good friend of mine offered to teach me the art of arrah makin today and I took him up on it. I stopped by the local lumber yard and picked up some 1x8 poplar  boards. We cut into 1/2" pieces and proceeded to turnum into dowels. I cut about 30 of um and then spine checked um. Spined at 35# when I needed 55#. So much for arrah making. Hopefully I'll get the right wood next time. This trad stuffs real cool.

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrah makin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 11:08:00 PM »
What was the final diameter of the shafts?? I've never used poplar myself but I know a lot of people love it and they don't have any trouble getting the needed spine. I would bet that you probably made them a little too small in diameter. Just my guess.

As a rule of thumb, in soft woods like poplar you will get your needed spine in 11/32 or 23/64 diameter. In some of the hardwoods, you may get your needed spine in 5/16 diameter.

Have fun.

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrah makin
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »
watcha gonna do with the 35# shafts?    Im looking for a batch?    I will buy or trade.   Let me know.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©