3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on the Kodiak Magnum  (Read 1237 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on the Kodiak Magnum
« on: March 28, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I would like opinions on the Kodiak Mag.Stability,handshock.Is there a certain year that out performs another.I have a 26" draw and thought this would be great length for shooting out of my Lucky's tent blind? Give me all your opinions. Thanks to all.
David Janssen

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on the Kodiak Magnum
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
They are great bows,, In my opinion just about everyt bow is dead in the hand when properly braced correctly,, I've had a couple that were stuburn. I've shot some of the newest years and I had one that was a 1968,, I loved them all,, The new ones come FF capable making it a very fast bow. Stability on the other hand,, I found that if i shot my 45#er I was more stable, I added a bow quiver to my 60#er and that cured that.. I had a problem with the 60#'s and inconsistency with grouping,, I added some weight and bingo,,Tighter groups,,J
TGMM

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Saaaweeeet!   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
What brace height are you using? I recently got a green (DEFINITELY not fast-flight) K-mag and I'd like to tame it down a little. Set right now at 8".

Otherwise it's mighty handy for stumping and loaning to the nephews; fun shooting, too...

-Charlie

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Mine shoot well at 8 1/2
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
I have shot new and old and liked them.  To me they are a no-nonsense bow.  I had a FF model for many years (longer than most bows I've kept) and would still have it if 60# didn't hurt the shoulders.  I have a 28" draw and did not have stack or finger pinch, at least to my perception.  In times past I have heard the KMags maligned as poorly designed and difficult to shoot because of their size.  I found them to be as shootable as most bows and certainly better than what I would expect from a short bow. I have shot worse and shot better.  Bottom line, if a short bow is what you want they are a good option.  Funny how short was bad and now it's good.  ;)
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline B4NZ41

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:34:00 PM »
I shoot my 45@28 overdrawn to about 31ish and it still shoots great for me.
I can sit down on the ground, and shoot it without canting it very much. So yeah, it would probably be a good choice for shooting from inside a blind.  :)

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
My 50# Kodiak Magnum stacks terribly at my 30.5" draw length. Makes a good wall hanger though.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I bought my K-mag in 1974.  It has served me well. Shoots smooth and straight as anything else I've used. Has put a few deerin the freezer as well. I have now retired it to fishing only and it handles the AMS system nicely.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
They are great bows,good shooters and most have been around for 30 plus years and still shooting today...something must be right with them huh?   bowdoc

Offline dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
I have a 1970 and 2007 brand new. They both zip a 1916 arrow. Both are 45#@28 and I just love them. One has a fistmal of 83/8 and the newer one is 8.5. The first time I took them into the woods was stump shooting. They are easy to carry and to move around. Out of my ground blinds they are very easy to move around. As for stacking or finger pinch I have a 28" draw with a 29" arrow.  I haven't noticed any they truly have been fun and a joy to shoot.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I have a 1967 1/2 K-Mag and I just LOVE IT!!!!!    :thumbsup:    

It draws 55# @ 28" which just happens to be my exact draw length. Brace height is 8 1/2" and with "cat whiskers" on the string she's quiet as a church mouse.   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
Okay, question.  I recently picked up a beautiful Kodiak Magnum.  #55, AMO 52", and SN#KU10553.  It appears to be a rosewood riser with green glass.  The coin is brass and is flush with the riser.  From what I can find, I think it is a 1970.  Can anyone confirm?

Sorry for the hijack.  I love these Kodiaks.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Sounds like it.....Head on over to Trad.History/Collecting and start a thread and post some pictures.   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
Chuck172.....I'll give you $75.00 for that Mag that's hanging on your wall 8^).  At 30 and 1/2 you will get some stack.  I love those critters but my draw is 28".

Offline IndianGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 01:10:00 PM »
The mag and super mag are a really good short bow design,I have a fasination with the short bow of all designs.I have had several bear bows and several mags I have found them good reliable bows that shoot really well. When shooting a short bow compared to something longer its kinda like shooting a pistol and a rifle,its easier to hit a target with a rifle as it is longer and more stable the longer limbs are kinda like the barrel which make the arrow more stable and the weight allows the shooter to hold it a little steadier. The shorter bows are like a shooting a pistol with the limbs/barrell being shorter and you  have to practice a little more to be profecient but so much fun to shoot. This is just my opinion and as to the question the mags are good stable bows that are of a well made design and a real pleasure to shoot.
Hope you find what works for you.
Eric
Without God in your life no measure of success is worth measuring in the end.

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
One Eye- If you figure out how to age it, I'd like to know, too. I read one article but it wasn't very definitive.

By the way, mine's # KU83680, and I like it. 45#@28, so the whole family can shoot it.

-Charlie

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
"Chuck172.....I'll give you $75.00 for that Mag that's hanging on your wall 8^). At 30 and 1/2 you will get some stack. I love those critters but my draw is 28"."
George, Having long arms doesn't make one "foolish"
Its worth twice that but it's not for sale.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Luv em in the 45# range.

Offline bailebr3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
i got a 74 model 55# for bowfishing...and it turned into a hunting bow instead....now i need another one in the 50# range...like bowdoc said, must be something good about'em, they're still shooting today. at my draw length of 26" they're perfect. i'm actually trying to trade or sell a black widow, so i can get another.    :)
BRANDON B.
Hoyt Gamemaster II 52# @ 26"
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# @ 26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©