3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: state land woes  (Read 5847 times)

Offline LUNGBUSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
state land woes
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:10:19 PM »
So the last three years I’ve been exclusively hunting state land after losing our favorite private spot. I’ve done lots of scouting and tried several spots. Finding game activity hasn’t been tough. Getting away from the other hunters has been the challenge. I finally found a spot this year way back in the swamps. I was seeing lots of deer and waiting for the right opportunity. Then, like the turning of a faucet they were gone. Just disappeared. Been weeks since I’ve even seen a deer. So I decided to climb down and do some investigating. And sure enough I found a climber stand less than 100 yards from me. This is the most frustrating part of public land hunting. You can do everything right. But you just can’t control the actions of others. I’ve seen guys smoking. Talking on their phones. You name it. And when that goes on 80 yards away it doesn’t much matter how careful you are. Oye. The difficulty of public land hunting. Thinking my time might be better spent doing one nice out of state trip every year for hogs or something. Anyway that’s my rant lol. Happy hunting all.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: state land woes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:05:10 PM »
Certainly understand your frustration. I’ve dealt with it for many years and like you I’m constantly looking for places that are a challenge to get to. Understanding there are others like myself that will do anything to get away from others. Google earth, a canoe and a bicycle have been my help.

Macatawa

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »
Certainly understand your frustration. I’ve dealt with it for many years and like you I’m constantly looking for places that are a challenge to get to. Understanding there are others like myself that will do anything to get away from others. Google earth, a canoe and a bicycle have been my help.

Yeah..I hear that!
For the last twenty years I have, with my brothers tried to outwit the masses.  We have been hunting primarily federal lands in Northern Michigan since forever but the last few years have turned me off to the point that I quit tryin...at least in that area. 

Have since moved to South Carolina...startin over can be a good thing.   There are hogs down here I'm told...hope to get out there for some of that action even tho my love is in the wiley whitetail hunt. :archer2:

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 04:35:18 PM »
I applaud you for trying to hunt on public land. I am a huge supporter of access to hunting that does not require one to be rich. That, to me, is the American heritage of hunting. I did move back west because of this and now I am limited to a little over 34 million acres of land I co-own in Idaho to hunt. I do have to drive a way's to get there, 1.6 miles. Sometimes I just walk there. Access to public land like this is a real privilege and took a lot of work by outdoorsmen before me. Be active in your state to support expansion of this resource, you will benefit, your children even more. Also, when I was in MN I did reach out to those hunting near me, they were in the same shoes as me, and most were very good about trying to avoid getting in each others way.
Dav

Offline LUNGBUSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 05:08:51 PM »
Good advice guys. Biggest problem is that I live I the most heavily populated area of Michigan. And most of the guys I actually meet out there are nice guys. As stated they’re in the same boat as me. Without private access it’s public land. And for those of us in our area there’s a lot available but it’s very hard hit because it’s the closest to home. For the weekend hunts after a 60 hour work week it’s just what’s available. And that’s the scenario for many of us. Thinking maybe next year I focus on quality not quantity. Instead of getting out every weekend near home, maybe I drive five hours north where it’s less crowded and hit it hard for a week. I don’t need to “get a deer” every year. But seeing em sure does make the trip a little nicer lol.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 05:19:31 PM »
Idk every time I hear this I wonder, round here the private land is actually more crowded. On state land it’s easy to climb higher, cross a river/reservoir, etc. try some distancing techniques to help you. Another thing I do which works real well, lots of guys are afraid of something. Say it’s bears, if someone happens to catch you in or going in area and asks what you’ve seen, you say nothing but these damn bears. In my state hunting them is very limited but people are chicken turds. You can substitute bears for lions, boars, wolves. It won’t discourage everyone but it might that guy that caught you.
Another thing I do is use almost no bright eyes using power line stantions, counting ridges, and going in the dark. If you use a bright eye mark right to go left. Park on the wrong side of the road, walk down the road. You can guarantee wherever you are some idiot will sit next to you if he can. Who knows how “clean” he hunts.
Use your brain and use as many obstacles/tricks as you can. I’ll bet state land gets better. Another thing, bounce around. You mention a climber near “your spot”? That all you got? Diversify, rest areas, hunt the wind and food sources. I should add food sources change throughout a season. You need to move. One spot will never stay great forever
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 05:25:36 PM by Bowguy67 »
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »
I grew up battling the guys on public land in Northern Michigan. It's tough. Not only is everyone trying to hunt the same spots, but a lot of these guys believe that they own the land and the deer on it. It always astounds me how worked up some people will get over a deer. I've had guys sit in their trucks and honk when they know I'm hunting, I've had them walk up and start yelling from the opposite ridge if I've seen anything, had someone let their dog lose on my track and then come running up saying that the dog jumped out the window, etc. I even had a guy bring his truck and plow a huge pile of snow up in the middle of the road so that I couldn't get through during late bow season.

Like Bowguy said, learn to outsmart them. I've used his bear trick before, mostly on second or third cousins, and it works pretty well. I would like to walk in in the dark, but I'd rather not get shot so I always carry a light.

Sometimes the best spots are the ones that seem like they wouldn't be any good at all. You just need to figure out where everyone else is hunting and try to avoid them. Also, when you are able to figure out where someone is hunting, figure out where you can hunt nearby so that if he's in the stand, he may spook deer towards you.

It's tough and frustrating at times, but it can be really rewarding when it works out.

Offline LUNGBUSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 07:42:08 PM »
I’m always just stunned at how quick it can change. I had deer almost round the clock for a couple weeks. Then bang nothing. Ah well. The only real opportunity I had was a shot I wasn’t comfortable with on a big doe. And if that turns out to be the only chance I get I have no regrets. Passing was the right call. Honestly though I did think it was a matter of time before a better opportunity presented itself. Looking like that may be wishful thinking lol.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »
Well here they run dogs for deer? I have only ever hunted public land so used to it? I learned to use everything to my advantage or just not worry about it. I have had packs of hounds chasing one deer by stand and en five minutes later a deer walks out feeding on acorns! Not worried a bit.
I don't get to kill a lot but a couple though with hurricane this season is a toss up?

One friend that does kill a lot of deer smokes on stand like a smoke stack? He ends up filling all his tags with a bow. Almost makes me wanna take up smoking? One place we used to hunt we would hunt close enough I could see him down through the swamp, I could see the puffs of smoke coming off the tree?  His theory is if they can smell that cig they can smell you without the cig.

Point is to just hunt on and keep maneuvering, keep pushing - deer are there and your gonna get them.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 08:34:38 PM »
Also keep in mind this time of year there are a lot of guys in the woods getting ready for rifle season. That tends to affect movement as well. Around where I hunt during the week preceding the opener, bait piles start popping up everywhere and the deer start to go nocturnal.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
Lots of good comments. We do belong to clubs and regularly get invited to great private places each year yet we hunt public land about half the time every year. The reason is the hunting on public land is excellent during bow season. Talking NC, SC, GA. What we do is walk one mile from the gate - this is a 15 minute walk at a quick pace. We always do this and it is not easy but you must do it. Cancel these areas close to the gate. There are food plots and huge acorn trees and scrapes in the roads and we ignore these and get in one mile - then begin scouting.
We use water entry as mentioned - this IS a method unto itself and our preferred method.
A bicycle is also very productive when you can use one but truth is most of our stuff is way too rough for bikes.
Doing this we have hunted public land here in the south since the late 80s and never seen another hunter in the woods during bow season!!! Never.
We think a big part of the reason for our success is that 'baiting' is not legal on public land in these 3 states and it is the predominant method used on private land in these states.
As long is it keeps on working we will keep doing it.
Quality over quantity - agree - and I would not waste my time hunting anywhere near a road or easy access.
<><
<------------------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline LUNGBUSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 08:31:20 AM »
He we have lots of public land where a guy can get a mile in here in Michigan. In fact I hunted one pc of public land a couple years ago that I abandoned. It looked amazing but man opening day is was literally crawling with hunters. Anyway I ran into a great guy loading out a pack in the parking lot and got to talking. He said he was going in for three days. And had an hour hike through very rough terrain ahead of him. That he’d been Hunting here his whole life and had killed some giant bucks. I think I’ve gotta change up my methods. I got used to private farmland hunting. Deer were pretty predictable there and we had it to ourselves. Gonna have to up my game.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »
It doesn't just happen on public land my friend.  our private land borders a large wooded plot owned by a neighbor who leases it for hunting.  It never fails the guys leasing will nuzzle up to our property line with their stands, even yelling and complaining to me when I was in our own timber cutting firewood.   :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »
Lungbuster if I may as I don’t wanna offend you but are you sure you’re traveling as far as you think??? Crawling w hunters opening day sounds maybe you’re closer than you think possibly.
Download a foot pedometer. Years ago a buddy of mine was complaining he was in “so far”. I think it was like 1/4 mile. The point is there’s lots of variables at work here. Say every single person went in a mile, shoot than the low hanging fruit near the road lies unpicked and undisturbed.
I kinda doubt that’s true so wherever the guys are use them as part of your plan.
When I was younger the state wma near me stocked pheasants. Every Tom, Dick n Harry went out for the Chinese chickens.
So you actually couldn’t hunt there. On top at another section of the wma was another road above the guys a ways. About the time I started hearing shooting here come the deer  like clockwork.
Ok so you have no other access. Walk/circle around. Another state forest I used to hunt black powder. The quickest way to get to a decent spot was through the safety zone by the state cabins. You couldn’t hunt it but could walk through. Most guys are lazy and sleep way too late. Right at daylight they’d come through the safety zone,  pushing all the deer I skirted a ways around right to me. All they heard was a shot. The deer came out ran a ridge and went back in. Next group of guys came in the same thing happened. At times I’d kill a deer, a friend would hop in my spot and kill one 1/2 hr later.
In the valley by my house the idiots love driving. I go up above em on the mountain 4 ridges or so up, it’s actually maybe only 400-500 yards above em. The deer come through steadily and calmly.
I could go on but hopefully you see it’s easy to make excuse they screwed up your deer. Just find out where they are pushing them to.
This is another technique.
Now here’s the thing. I personally say today’s hunters don’t really hunt. Hear me out. Ever hear a trapper say it’s too hard or an animal is too hard? They figure a way to trick the animal using sometimes really ingenious ways.
Today’s hunter watched some bs on tv. They throw corn down, use ozonics and sit in one tree. That’s not really hunting. None of it it. Hunting is a a verb. It’s proactive.
Personally find not one spot but lots of spots. Plan your season according to patterns of food sources changing, Hunter pressure, deer behavior shifts and very important wind. Rest your spots. Stop complaining things shut off. Don’t give up, figure where they turned on.
I hope you’re thinkimg about what I’m saying and not thinking anything is a bash on anyone or thing.
Maybe you’ve heard 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the game. It’s not because these guys have perfect spots. They have the persistence and imagination to get the most out of what they have. Doesn’t mean they settle either. Keep looking keep thinking.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »
I agree getting far back in is often a great strategy. But it all depends on the property that you're hunting. I hunted a piece in New York, it was the closest public land within a 30-minute radius. It was only four hundred and twenty Acres with a road going through the middle. I spent the first year going to the farthest end of the property where there was decent sign. I saw deer while scouting but never while Hunting. I spent time in there after the season was over, and did some squirrel hunting. What I learned is the majority of the deer we're traveling close to the road and to the parking lot. I went in the following year and was a bit shocked when in and there were 11 Vehicles parked and 15 people signed in that morning so far. I proceeded to my spot that was a 4 minute walk from the parking lot, it was very thick but I could make out vehicles in the parking area through the trees. I never saw another hunter in the woods, I saw three deer that morning, and I had one on my head had to be processed by 8 a.m.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »
To add to what Bow guy said, if you can pattern the hunters you're in a much better position. Another piece of public land I hunted in New York, preseason scouting was somewhat of a waste of time. I found my best places in this area during the season. A lot of hunters in this area were slobs and not only left the garbage but cat eyes and tree stands in the trees. Some of my best places I found by not finding any hunter trash that was fresh. This particular property was made up of a bunch of smaller parcels. So it was impossible to get in too deep. But I could find thick drainages that were hard to access. Often the most productive times of day or between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. .

Deer can pattern a hunter much quicker than a hunter in pattern a deer. And the hunter is still in the woods long after he is left for the day. He leaves a scent behind and any deer traveling through that spot nocturnally knows that the hunter was there, and they will adjust their patterns accordingly
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

pavan

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 05:10:53 PM »
All state land in Iowa needs to be 'leave no trace'.  Meaning you leave with what you came in with. 

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 07:09:51 AM »
I understand what the Michigan guys are saying, it’s tough. I hunted and still do hunt state and federal land that I’ve hunted for 45 years. It’s different now. Everyone has a GPS so they venture in farther. They seem to all have AWD or 4 WD vehicles. They also seem to have more time off than I ever did at their ages. We still kill deer out there but it’s different. You can’t pick up a track and hope to head the buck off. You’ll just push him to someone. I heard this is the last year for baiting. That might help. I mostly just hunt my 40 now until late season. This land I’m speaking of us in counties that don’t have  the APR line the west side of the state. It’s flooded with people who just want to take something home. Good Luck Guys.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline lifeandlongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
I hear you. I hunt almost exclusively on public land in West Michigan, as well. I've learned to hunt on Sunday mornings because people are at church. Or weekdays because people are at work. It gets rough the week before gun season. People will start hanging stands and setting up blinds.

My suggestion is to get in early and stay as long as you can. As previously stated, distancing techniques also help. The harder the hike, the thicker the brush, the less hunters there are. Most guys hang out within 100 yards of their vehicle.

Ultimately, weekdays are where it is at. Get that time off.
MLA Life Member
Former MLA President
Compton's Member
BHA Member

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 11:58:37 AM »
Never fall in love with a spot on public land.

Every trip is a scouting trip on public land.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©