3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 4th Annual Boeuf Hog/Deer Hunt - Were back home!  (Read 14241 times)

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 4th Annual Boeuf Hog/Deer Hunt - Were back home!
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 10:26:58 PM »
Went back to the camp and met Rick and then the others started showing up. It was great to meet some new guys and see old friends again. Jacob broke out his Shrimp Etoufee and as usual it was awesome.

Friday morning I went to an area near Alligator Lake and worked about a mile stretch of woods. Saw plenty of sign the whole morning and was anticipating seeing hogs at any moment. I saw a coyote and then got to a spot where the thicker cover came closer to the waters edge and jumped two deer. I decided to come back into that area and hang a stand for deer so I marked it on my GPS.

That afternoon I walk back in the swamp and on my way to the spot I marked I heard a loud hog squeal. About 80 yards away I saw 4 big black hogs. One was a boar and he was trying to breed the other three. All were over 200 lbs. As I crept into about 60 yards I noticed a big sow sleeping near a tree and she had 6 pigs, each about sixty pounds sleeping around her.

I waited 30 minutes for the boar and the other hogs to do something cause it was too open for me to sneak any further. They finally all laid down and went to sleep. So I had 11 sleeping hogs in front of me. I snuck as close as I could, about 35 yards and took a shot at one of the 60 pounders that was laying slightly quartered away but was high and the arrow glanced off his back bone like you would of hit a branch. Needless to say things got crazy with pigs running everywhere and vacating the premises. No meat but what a rush!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
Friday night supper was pulled pork by Rick and Jackrabbit, deer and Jimmie Dean Chili by Darren. We eat really good on these hunts! We also gobbled down some of Tony's Brownies which are pretty much in a league all their own!

About 10 pm the rain started. We got probably 5-6" of rain that night and I have never personally been camping and had a rain storm quite like this. Thankfully, the only thing that happened was a branch fell on Daniels Father in laws camp roof but there were trees falling in the woods nearby and I fully expected my canopy to be in someone's truck or collapsed from the rain.

No body got a whole lot of sleep but we were thankful we made it through the night and after Randy's Breakfast Burritos we all hit the woods again. Tony and I teamed up and went look for the hogs I had seen the day before with no luck so we hopped across the road into another section and worked along the edge of the flooded timber. About 100 yards in we were sneaking along and came to a fallen tree. 3 pigs, about 75 lbs. popped up out of the tree. I hog grunted a couple of times and one pig stopped but not long enough for us to get a shot.

We tried to catch up with them but never saw them again. We did jump 5 deer which was cool. We had a great supper again that night as Randy had bought a brisket and we all pigged out again.
Todd Trahan

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »
Why do we do these things?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
Sunday was a blast!!! We went to a small area that Rick and Daniel had checked and decided to have guys posted on one end while two others would spot and stalk through from the other end. Before Daniel, Rick and I could get set up 4 big hogs came out of the thicket and crossed the pipeline. A little later I heard pigs coming toward me through water but they caught my wind or something and just stopped and went around me. About 120 yards down the pipeline I saw 8 pigs, all about 70-80 lbs cross the same pipeline.

We decided to go into that other side of the pipeline and walk it. At one point I heard running in the water toward me and two does stopped about 50 yards away. One of the other guys had bumped them toward me and they were trying to circle behind them. I happened to be on the only little high spot there was and after a while they started moving right at me. At 20 yards the lead doe saw me squatted there and stopped to check me out. She was facing me straight on and in about 20 seconds she figured something wasn't right and blasted off back in the direction of the other guys. Darren said they came by him hauling the mail!!
Todd Trahan

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »
I am thankful for the blessing to be able to bow hunt with a great group of guys. So grateful that Daniel began to host this hunt years ago. We learn more every year and spotting and stalking hogs on management areas is no easy thing. We have found that out. The high water helps a bunch and you just never know when you are going to be in the right place at the right time. It seems typical that you get 1-2 decent opportunities on a 3 day hunt. I think this trip was the best so far in that everyone at least saw hogs multiple times and most everyone took shots. I don;t think we could ask for much more than that. Lord willing, I will be in Beouf next year with these guys chasing some more pork around the swamps!
Todd Trahan

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2019, 12:50:53 PM »
Friday Morning I delayed everyone on their hunt because I had a funeral at 10am.  I didn't intend to delay their hunt, we just couldn't stop talking.  One thing I've learned on these hunts is that hunting is the 3rd best thing imo. 

1) Fellowship
2) Food
3) Hunting

On this hunt, it was no different.  The fellowship was through the roof. The food was some of the best i've ate and the hunting was the best it has been yet. 

Well, back to the story.  On Friday morning at 10 I had to be at a funeral.  Right after the funeral I went to an area to scout.  First thing I notice when getting there was a TON of hog sign.  But, due to all the water, you couldn't really tell how fresh it was.  After walking a couple miles at the first location, I never saw any sign that made me believe it was fresh.  I do believe some of what I saw was fresh, but that it was just too washed out. 

I put a heck of a stalk on a bushy tail, but he didn't want to be shot today.  It never ceases to amaze me how fast those little suckers can be!! The squirrel had no idea what had just happened, he just sat 10 or so feet up the tree looking around and barking his head off!  I finally moved and gave away my location and he was out of there!!!

I go on to my next stop and it's a lot of the same thing.  While i'm walking in there is sign every where, but, you can't exactly tell how fresh it is.  With all the rain, almost all of the sign looks the exact same.  After walking around for an hour or so I caught some movement about 50 yards ahead.  The terrain has a good bit of palmettos, but it also has some lanes where you possibly could see a couple hundred yards. 

After seeing the pigs I checked the wind, absolutely PERFECT!! Which is such a rarity around these parts.  I see a fallen limb with a tree right behind it.  I set that as my next move.  When I got to the tree I could no longer see the pigs.  I was using the bigger tree to block some of my movement when all of the sudden the piglets emerge from the palmettos just 30 yards away.  I see all of their little cousins/brothers or whatever they are coming in as well.  Before I know it there are 15 or 20 piglets within 20 yards.  Theyre all meandering around, but I haven't seen any full size pigs yet. 

After watching them for a few more minutes I finally see a sow in the back.  She is at least 10 yards behind them.  The piglets are reading the script.  I'm waiting on their mom to find her part of the script too.  It's not looking good!  The piglets keep working their way down wind.  I see them start to kick out to my left and walk around the fallen limb that is up against the big oak i'm standing behind.  Next thing I know I have over 10 piglets all within 10 yards of me and the closest ones are all less than a yard from my feet.  I was a nervous wreck.  The sow was still 20+ yards away and most of the time was facing straight at me not offering any type of shot I want to take. 

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
With all the piglets this close I am having to seriously watch my movements.  I lose sight of the sow for a second while trying to see if any of them are on to me and then lean out a little to see where she has gone.  When I look back a piglet to my left has me pegged.  He is giving me that, "I know you're not a tree, but I don't know what you are" look.  I see the sow come back out and she is not broad side at 20 yards.  I attempted to raise my bow and I hear the little piglet grunt.  Now, I don't speak pig (it's a shame I didn't have crittergetter with me that is his native language), but I am almost positive this piglet said, "aaahhhhh mama, help!!!!". 

Without hesitation all the piglets begin to head out and I am trying to pick one out to shoot when all of the sudden I hear the sow grunting like crazy and charging to where the piglet was. Do I need to remind you that the piglet is about 4 yards away?  She sprints up to see what was bothering her baby and about the time that happens, she catches an arrow through the rib cage. 

At that point, I was fully expecting for a fight.  And by a fight I mean I was going to throw everything I had at her, bow and all.  But, for some reason, she went the other way.  When she let out her little squeal I hear another ruckus coming from where she came from.  Before I know it there is another hog rushing in to save the day.  This one stops around 15 or so yards and also catches an arrow in the rib cage and drops to the ground 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »
i'll pick this up in a couple hours.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »

Here are the two hogs.

I’ve got a couple videos to upload to YouTube before I post them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
 :bigsmyl: :bigsmyl: :bigsmyl: :archer2: :archer2: :archer2:
Todd Trahan

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2019, 02:24:44 PM »
Video of the blood trail from the first hog

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »
Video of the recap.  It’s always awesome to put a visual to the things mentioned previously in the thread!

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
that's the way to get it done!

Online HOGLESS2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2019, 07:57:10 PM »
Awesome  :shaka:

GCook

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »
I wondered if there were any killers in the bunch.  Good shooting Daniel!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2019, 10:04:49 PM »
Heck yea, good story telling Daniel!!!

Sorry I havnt posted on here yet guys. I have been super duper crazy busy since I’ve gotten home. I’m taking the whole weekend off to relax and I promise I’ll tell my tale.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
Sorry for the delay, fellas. It's been crazy here at home for me too.

As previously stated, I didn't get to leave my house until a full 24 hours after I had intended, but I was excited for the entire 8-ish hour drive. As I followed my GPS guide on my phone, I made it into the parking lot of the "Spotted Dog" sporting goods store in Columbia, LA at around 2:00pm, planning on getting my daily licenses.

The store was much larger than I expected, and it warranted a good look around. Once I finished perusing, I went to the counter and spoke to 2 friendly ladies about said licenses. During the pleasant conversation, I spoke with one of the ladies regarding souvenirs for myself and my girlfriend. She quickly produced 2 different camouflage ball-caps from under the counter (one with pink accents) and insisted that I take them as gifts of hospitality. Of course, I obliged, gratefully.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
After about an hour at the Spotted Dog, I set out for the last leg of my journey to camp.

After following Jacob's directions to the "t", I found a place with a white, wall tent & a small cabin. There were 2 older gentlemen there, so I asked them if this was the right place to be if I was hunting with a recurve. They said that it was and suggested a spot for me to park my Jeep.

I got out, introduced myself and was happy to meet Daniel's father-in-law and grandfather. They informed me that everyone else was out hunting except for Randy, who had gone to help Daniel to retrieve his 2 pigs that he'd just killed. I took that as a good sign of things to come this weekend....

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2019, 10:56:11 AM »
Here's a couple of pictures that I took upon arrival.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2019, 11:05:43 AM »
Daniel's father-in-law told me what I needed to do to be legal to hunt the WMA, and I followed his directions. I was excited for my first hunt in the swamps of Louisiana, but I knew that I needed to be cautious. The sky was overcast and the sun was hidden in the cloud cover well, which made it difficult for me to get my internal compass going. So I found a short road off of the main road that lead to flood water and just walked around the area for the remaining hour or so of light left.

I found a few tracks & such, but nothing of any real note. And so ended my first little jaunt of the trip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©