3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scouting DVDs  (Read 3075 times)

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
Scouting DVDs
« on: November 13, 2018, 08:27:08 PM »
I am looking to up my scouting game over the winter. I have been looking hard at the DVDs put out by The Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness podcast host Jason Samkowiak since really enjoy his youtube videos and his podcasts.

Does anyone here have his scounting DVDs? If so, are they worth it? I have searched online and I can't find any reviews. I really want to hit the ground running next year since the deer have been eluding me so far this year.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scouting DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:41 AM »
Idk if you need some scouting DVD. Use your head. Exactly how will you find your game?
Ok so Barry Wensel once said look for what’s least. In vast cover areas find the food source. In areas of vast food sources find the bedding cover. I’ll add in a drought you wanna find water.
Now if we’re talking bout food this changes. Follow preferences. Say you were hunting oaks. They aren’t all equal. Learn the types and mid summer bring binocs and look up and see what trees are bearing. Whites first, as they deplete you need to know where the blacks are. Crops as the ripen, are harvested, etc change things.
Think about a cornfield. It not only provides food but cover and perhaps water in the rows. Once it gone the deer are forced into woods and seem to key in on the harvesting waste.
Bean fields when green are like deer magnets, yellow aren’t bothered, Brown utilized a little.
These are things you wanna know and I’m not sure your areas preferences but you need to find out. I really doubt a DVD will key in on Maine.
You should learn the lay of land. Late winter is great. Season is over. Snow is real light but maybe heavy enough to see tracks. The leaves make seeing distant topography easy. Buck sign is still apparent.
Videos, books, etc are very often very generic.  Most are there not to help you but to help the author put their kid through college. Think bout how you’re gonna learn your area and just do it. Best of luck to ya
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 06:10:23 AM »
I'm heading out the door this morning but wanted to mention I'm in the final stages of the type of DVD everyone has been asking for me to do. I can't say yet exactly when it will be available since a lot of the timing will involve other people's schedules. But I'm thinking another 6 weeks or so, but you know how that goes.
In fact, I have so much stuff I had to make it a Volume 1 & 2. The title will be "Out And About" (Out in the timber and About whitetails) with a subtitle " Proven Techniques and Strategies to Hunt Fully Mature Whitetails." I'm spilling my guts on some of the tricks I've not told many people before. Have patience. :bigsmyl: BW

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »
That's great Barry - Looking forward to it!!!!
<><
<-------------------<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:31:35 AM »
I’m looking fwd to it as well. One of the fellows that gives great info without commercialization is Mr Wensel.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »
BOWGUY67 had some good things to say. Also, Barry Wensel's DVD will be worthwhile. Most of my scouting actually came as I explored my piece of property when I first bought it in 2009. Just walking over it, I located trails, scrapes and rubs, beddings areas, oak trees, etc. Once you become familiar with the deer movement, it won't change greatly unless external factors arise. For example, does a housing development go up close by? Does your neighbor put in an extensive food plot? Knowing what goes on around you is important. It is not difficult, but it will require staying in touch with what is happening on your hunting area.

Most members know RC, who is a significant contributor here. He gave a short but informative talk at the TBG state shoot a few years ago, highlighting his methodology for ensuring success. He scouts all the time and keeps records. RC's notes record when individual nut and fruit trees drop. He notes movement changes and habitat fluctuations, so stand relocation is done based on current information. It was a short but informative talk. It was helpful to me. Essentially, though it comes down to doing the work and spending time on the ground.
Sam

Offline lifeandlongbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »
I think Jason's DVDs are absolutely worth it. I also don't mind giving him the money as he's been giving the bowhunting community free content for 5 years on YouTube and in his podcast.

The production quality isn't great. Its a home video basically. He'll admit it. But he makes up for it. Its like 8 hours of bowhunting knowledge and you can't help but learn something.
MLA Life Member
Former MLA President
Compton's Member
BHA Member

Macatawa

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
I am looking to up my scouting game over the winter. I have been looking hard at the DVDs put out by The Traditional Bowhunting and Wilderness podcast host Jason Samkowiak since really enjoy his youtube videos and his podcasts.

Does anyone here have his scounting DVDs? If so, are they worth it? I have searched online and I can't find any reviews. I really want to hit the ground running next year since the deer have been eluding me so far this year.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Jeremy...
Good question!   Like others here at Trad Gang, I can see the benefit in taking a look at many and varied resources on your topic.  Sure enough, Barry will always have good stuff to share and i'm sure he'd be the first to admit that he has learned tons from many hunters in his lifetime.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:39 PM »
I think Jason's DVDs are absolutely worth it. I also don't mind giving him the money as he's been giving the bowhunting community free content for 5 years on YouTube and in his podcast.

The production quality isn't great. Its a home video basically. He'll admit it. But he makes up for it. Its like 8 hours of bowhunting knowledge and you can't help but learn something.

X2.. I don’t have these yet but I have heard from another Tradganger that Jason’s DVD is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 07:23:28 PM »
Get Jason's 2nd scouting set, wel worth the price. Plus i just wanted to contribute to the Guy. He is always using his spare time making useful short videos and great podcast. I think that no matter how knowledgeable a guy is, he can also learn. Dan Infalts videos are great as well. I am a flat lander /swamp hunter and i want to learn more about hill country and mountainous terrain. Ive got some great personal teachers, but you can only pester your buds so much!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
I ended up ordering both of these DVDs. They should be in the mail tomorrow. I will follow up with what I think of them if anyone wants.

Also, I sent an e mail to Jason about his DVDs with a bunch of questions. We ended up talking on the phone about his DVDs and bowhunting in general. He answered all my questions and welcomed more.  I learned a lot and I am looking forward to watching the DVDs. He also told me to contact him any time with questions that pop up while watching the DVDs. He is a great resource and is very easy to talk to.

Time to learn and hopefully become a better hunter for next season.

Jeremy

Online BowArkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
Hunting beast is a pretty informative site, has dvds on scouting for sale also..

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 10:37:28 AM »
I do not have the, but should! Samkowiak is a wealth of knowledge. Also I sure see a lot of guys praise Dan Infalt and his videos(he has YouTube vids too). From what I’ve seen and read that Dan has put out its all been true with what I’ve come across in the woods!

Can’t wait for Barry’s!!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline SlowTurtle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Been thinking about getting Jason's videos for a while now. Excited to hear Barry has one in the works! Out with the smoke pole this a.m. Misrable morning here in Des Moines, rain (heavy at times), mid 30's with a wind chill in the 20's. That said we saw 4 or 5 does, a couple is fawns, all with a 8 point buck tagging along. Got to within 40-50 yes, but never had a chance for a clean shot due to limbs. On the way out, we spooked a ten to twelve point buck up (one to two drop tines also) but nobody wanted to fire at a running buck, so we home empty handed with dryers running. Trying to decided if I want to go back out or just stay home, this old body just doesn't handle the weather and wet nicking like it used to.
Larry
--------
Yeshua said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life! No one comes to the Father except through Me. Jn14:6 (TLV)
---------------------------------------------
Iowa Bowhunters Assoc
Sequoia  LB 68" 55#
Slick Stick 58" 50#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©