3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The last time I ignore the "budget bow"  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
The last time I ignore the "budget bow"
« on: November 15, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
I recently picked up this cheap bear Sonoma in a trade. I didn't really have any plans for it and still may give it to my dad for Christmas but I've been playing with it some since I'm out for the hunting season once again. Closest arrows I had for it spine wise were my woodies so I played with strike plate thickness until I got the to fly fairly decent. This morning I was playing around with a small crawl on the string and wow I was not expecting it to stack them in as well as it does. This is a bow that's easily found for a hundred bucks but imo will do just as good as anything higher price for someone just getting started or who wants something different without breaking the bank. Lately I've been seeing more and more people shooting the cheaper bows like this one, the sage or the black hunter varieties. Most of which I would have never gave a second look at before and man I must say I've missed out due to the thought of how good could a sub $150 bow actually shoot. Now I won't say it's as smooth, pretty, or carefully crafted as a custom but for somebody who doesn't care about those things and just wants something that shoots the cheaper bows are nothing to turn your nose up at. It is good to see that you don't have to take a second mortgage out on your house to afford something that can shoot well and give you hours and hours of fun.

Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The last time I ignore the "budget bow"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
Spending big money is not always necessary to get good performance. It sure looks like you found a gem in this little bow.
Sam

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:00:37 AM »
I think 99.9% of the bows out there worthy, durable machines.  It’s the guy/gal drawing the string that screws up the shots.   :goldtooth:

Personally the more antler tips/inlays/exotic woods etc has the more I appreciate the craftsmanship it took to construct it.  I can’t shoot it any better than a “cheap” bow, but it sure looks great hanging in a tree next to me or in my hand.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 11:06:45 AM »
I keep thinking I want to have a custom built for myself but In all honesty I have a hard time doing that even on the cheap side where as I could get something like a black hunter with the bamboo limbs, a couple dozen arrows, new tab and a decent quiver and still have money left over.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »
I keep thinking I want to have a custom built for myself but In all honesty I have a hard time doing that even on the cheap side where as I could get something like a black hunter with the bamboo limbs, a couple dozen arrows, new tab and a decent quiver and still have money left over.

Looks like a good find Justin,and good shooting. I was out shooting this morning,and was thinking the same thing as Tony mentioned. I like a lot of the fancy stuff on my bows,but don't shoot them any better.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
Bows are inherently accurate. With the right arrows any bow will shoot well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 08:43:40 PM »
A personal match is the objective. You have obtained one.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Shot from a machine, almost any bow with properly tuned arrows, will stack them up.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 12:28:55 PM »
Well, you see much more of those cheaper starter bows because much more new or newly converted shooters are frequenting 3D events.
A lot of veteran archers have no interest in 3D or even meeting with people.
Then there is a difference in how performance is measured: Put 6 arrows into a nice group with 150 fps or putting 6 arrows into a group with 190 fps with the same gpp. Now where is the performance difference? On the target or on the speed?
Put this in a real world situation: You thought your deer where closer than it really was and it drops when you shoot due to the string noise. The second bow will most likely still get a deadly hit, while the first one will get a bad hit or no hit at all.
If you draw longer or shorter, the cheaper production bows are most likely not the best choice for you. That's why they are production bows. They are built for the average (majority) size and parameters of the potential shooters.

Even with those vintage bows, there were better performers back then and other companies who marketed better.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
Nice shooting and if the bow fits, shoot it. In fact you may find qualities in that bow you would want in a custom bow, like the grip. My “custom” bow is a combo of the grip and the fancy woods/finish I wanted. But to be honest my Warf bow that cost a 1/3 shoots as well.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 01:35:47 PM »
I own a greatree highlander - it looks a bit like that Sonoma - that I bought because it is a 64 inch bow - nice for my 31" draw.  It shoots great! It was a about $150 new.  I have 3 Damon Howatts that I bought used.  The only bow I paid more that $200 for was a nearly new, recent vintage Martin Howatt Hunter.  You don't have to work hard to find a good bow for less than $200.

GCook

Re: The last time I ignore the &quot;budget bow&quot;
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 02:30:04 PM »
I bought a Black Hunter long ow off of Amazon.  60lbs, mostly for building muscle/training.  It shoots surprisingly smooth and quiet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »
Nice shooting and if the bow fits, shoot it. In fact you may find qualities in that bow you would want in a custom bow, like the grip. My “custom” bow is a combo of the grip and the fancy woods/finish I wanted. But to be honest my Warf bow that cost a 1/3 shoots as well.
warfs are always a great option as well. I have 2 risers set aside for either ward conversions and sage bolt on limb conversions.

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
I've got that same bow and I'm lights out with it. I traded 2 bags of crappie for it! Wish it was heavier mines only 40# last I check 45 is as high as they make em.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©