3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHREW HAVEN 2018  (Read 12494 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREW HAVEN 2018
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »
Red Bird Lane is a sacred spot where Nancy (RedBird) put her blind every year when we hunted at ShrewHaven. Bow hunting was as much a passion for her as it is for me and she loved spending time in the woods with her bow.

She was my hunting partner every year since our first hunt together in 1959. I miss the times we had together, sharing our experiences. Her enthusiasm and excitement when she would tell me a story of a hunting encounter always brought a smile to my face. One year when we were hunting the late season in December at Shrewhaven, the weather was very cold getting in the single digits at times, she suggested that we could spend the winter there in the cabin. She was a trooper and  I was blessed to have her for so many years.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
As usual the cuisine at camp was excellent. As I mentioned Henry is a handy guy in the kitchen and Greg one of our regulars that couldn't be there this year sent up apple pies that his wife made and several packages of bluegills and perch from lake Michigan. Roger Norris brought a Venison Ham that he had made from a bow kill early in the season and it was absolutely delicious.  :thumbsup:

Of coarse I had to make my legendary "Breakfast Burritos" which consist of bacon, venison sausage, onion, jalapeno peppers, eggs scrambled. Served on a lightly fried flour tortilla topped with graded sharp cheddar cheese then the special green sauce. Then rolled into a tube that is guar-own- teed to awaken your taste buds :goldtooth:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:07:59 AM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »
Kindred spirits, that is what makes a hunting camp special. :clapper:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 11:14:11 AM »
Thanks for taking us along Ron. I look forward to this thread every year.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Thank you Ron for once again talking us along.
 :goldtooth:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 02:09:29 PM »
Very nice, a great story and trip as always Ron. My congratulations to Tim and Henry beautiful bucks both.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
Congratulations to all, thank you for sharing I enjoy this thread every year
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
I haven't had a chance to check this one out yet but I will as always. But just a heads up... a teaser has been posted on Instagram.......
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
Like Tim, I've been going to camp since the inception with Ron and Greg and then adding others in the late 90's.  One daughter just started college this fall and the other is a senior in high school. Both run competitively and I found myself chasing races around the state of Michigan this fall as well as doing an official visit for the younger to sign with Northern Michigan University in Marquette, MI on the final weekend of this years camp, so it just wasn't going to happen. Good news for me, both girls are going to be in Michigan's Upper Peninsula going to college and only about 2-3 hours from camp!

My first deer in camp came off of Banana Ridge.  It was 1992 and there were deer and acorns everywhere. I put a stand in an oak tree after scouting the first morning.  That night I saw no less than 30 deer parade through, but most of them about 60-70 yards away.  The next morning the same story, so I moved the stand. That night, I heard a crunching of leaves coming my way. A few steps at a time and I thought for sure it was a single deer-a buck of my dreams-slowly feeding my way.  I finally saw the movement and low and behold it was a gobbler.  Now turkeys hadn't yet taken a stronghold like they currently have back then, so this was the last thing I expected to see, but it sure got my heart racing.  The next morning a nice doe came through and I made a good shot and watched her fall about 50 yards away.  Since it was early and I had my buck tag I decided to sit tight and see if any other deer were going to work through. None did, however I was surprised that within 40 minutes ravens were already circling above my deer.  They have and uncanny ability to see the white of a deer's belly from above. 

We added Kevin and Brian, then Brian dropped out and we added Roger and Eric and Little Eric (Tim and Kevin's son-in-laws).  All the best camp mates anyone could ask for.  We've had many guests over the years including Fred ASBELL, Steve Turay, Brian Cole, Bill Heath and his son, Tom Jenkins and a scattering of others. DEER CAMP in Michigan's Upper Peninsula just has a charm and aura of it's own.  I'm glad Henry had a chance to experience this coming from a country that does not allow bowhunting. What a great opportunity for him to experience and I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to meet him.  His products that are well thought out and great quality (I use his fletching jig, feathers and taper tool).

It's also gratifying to see Ron and Tim overcome shoulder surgeries and continue their passion of shooting traditional bows.  Sitting by the Shrewhaven woodstove, enjoying a snort of good bourbon and swapping tales after dinner.  It's just something that can't be beat. 
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Texoma

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
Looks like good times. Congratulations to the lucky hunters!

Offline stikbowshooter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »
Love the pictures and the story. I look forward to them every year!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:30 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great time! Congratulations to all :thumbsup:
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 11:04:42 PM »
Looks like a great camp...good company, good food, a couple deer hanging.  :thumbsup:
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 06:12:27 AM »
Absoutely fantastic.....traditional camp and ways.
Thanks for the share.  Great pics and story's
Tim B

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 06:21:39 AM »
I gotta get me one of them oakridge pullovers too.  I looked on the web page but didn't see that pattern.  Not available yet maybe?
Tim B

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »
I gotta get me one of them oakridge pullovers too.  I looked on the web page but didn't see that pattern.  Not available yet maybe?
Tim B

Tim, just call Teresa...
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
This looks like everything most of us picture in our minds when we hear the phrase "deer camp."  I look forward to this thread each and every season.  Flat out awesome - truly the stuff dreams are made of.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Well done everyone. This place and stories are a link to our past. Every year Excellent !! Mike

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing Ron , I look forward to this story every year!!

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 04:19:46 PM »
Great stories and pic's every year. Nothing quite like "deer camp".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©