3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help finding a longbow  (Read 4074 times)

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help finding a longbow
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »
Hello everyone.
I'm looking for help to find a longbow with a minimum length of 72 inches. I'm not interested in a English style longbow. It must have a shelf. I know there must be people or companies out there that make them at that length but my searches online have not been so successful. I'm mainly interested in a laminated longbow but a takedown is a possibility but not my first, second or third choice.
Some things need to be known so your help is spot on.
1. I'm not greatly experienced in the knowledge or the lingo of bows.
2. My draw length is 30.5"
3. I'm looking for a bow that'll be for 3D shoots.
4. I'm looking for 43 to 45lbs at my draw length.
5. I only shoot wood shaft arrows.
6. I'm a gap shooter.

With that said I'm hoping for suggestions on where to buy a longbow at a 72" length or longer. I'm not looking to spend a thousand dollars but I'm not looking for something that is just a couple of hundred.

Hope this is enough information to get some help.

Thanks for looking.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Need help finding a longbow
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 10:06:28 PM »
Can you explain why it has to be 72"?  Your draw of 30.5" is long but not all that long and there are plenty of shorter bows that could easily accomodate 30.5".  If you made your upper limit 70" it would open up a nice selection.  There are even plenty of 68 or 66" bows that would be more than adequate, and even quite a few shorter than that.  So youre set on a 1pc?  That will narrow the field quite a bit but you have quite a few excellent potential choices. Honestly if you go beyond a 70" bow, as few choices as there are above that range youd actually be losing performance.  Your query kinda made me chuckle...its like you burst through the doors of the saloon and were like "hey!  Fellas!  Now you listen here I got somethin ta say and tell you a thing or two about a thing or two!"  ...and a whole bunch of salty rough ridin cowboys just turned around with a look like "the heck you say?" 

So tell us, what got your heart set on a 72"++ bow thats "not an english longbow"?   Pull up a chair, stay a while pardner.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:13:29 PM by nineworlds9 »
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 10:59:27 PM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:08:51 AM by MMW »

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:09:15 AM »
Can you explain why it has to be 72"?  Your draw of 30.5" is long but not all that long and there are plenty of shorter bows that could easily accomodate 30.5".  If you made your upper limit 70" it would open up a nice selection.  There are even plenty of 68 or 66" bows that would be more than adequate, and even quite a few shorter than that.  So youre set on a 1pc?  That will narrow the field quite a bit but you have quite a few excellent potential choices. Honestly if you go beyond a 70" bow, as few choices as there are above that range youd actually be losing performance.  Your query kinda made me chuckle...its like you burst through the doors of the saloon and were like "hey!  Fellas!  Now you listen here I got somethin ta say and tell you a thing or two about a thing or two!"  ...and a whole bunch of salty rough ridin cowboys just turned around with a look like "the heck you say?" 

So tell us, what got your heart set on a 72"++ bow thats "not an english longbow"?   Pull up a chair, stay a while pardner.
Thanks for replying.
I shoot a 66" longbow but one day I got to shoot a friend's 78" English longbow that was the same #"s as mine and there was a huge difference in resistance which I liked. Like I said I am not experienced with bows but the one thing I do have experience with is forums and the need to get certain things across right from the beginning. It actually does help weed out the people with some helpful information and eliminate the people that want to give information that suits their needs. If this is rude then that's that but this is also the internet where things can easy be misconstrued as rudeness because one hasn't used a couple of hundred words to fully explain themselves.
I am open to suggestions and education about longbows. From the searching I have done on the internet it does seem like the length I'm looking for is a long shot. I don't know much about how a longer length can effect performance but I can understand that there can be reasons why. I did really like the lack of resistance in the longer bow. My reason for wanting a one piece is just stubbornness to shoot something that is more like a traditional bow without going as far as shooting a stickbow.

Any longbow education and help is greatly appreciated.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 12:50:29 AM »
The thing you said that caught my eye was the remark about your 66" bow not feeling as good as the Elb  of the same draw weight.  Is that the same measured weight at your draw length or the marked weight at 28"?

I'm thinking that your 66" bow is probably stacking at your 30.5" draw length.   I'm certain that you can have a smooth stack free bow built at your desired draw weight with a 70" length.  If you put out some inquiries to a few bowyers you should be able to find one who can build a bow to fit you.

Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 01:05:32 AM »
The thing you said that caught my eye was the remark about your 66" bow not feeling as good as the Elb  of the same draw weight.  Is that the same measured weight at your draw length or the marked weight at 28"?

I'm thinking that your 66" bow is probably stacking at your 30.5" draw length.   I'm certain that you can have a smooth stack free bow built at your desired draw weight with a 70" length.  If you put out some inquiries to a few bowyers you should be able to find one who can build a bow to fit you.
Both bows were identically marked for 28".
Any bowyers that would be recommended?

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »

---it is the last couple of inches that stacking occurs

--the draw cycle is affected by a multitude of factors--

--IMO proper taper rates are more important to your needs than overall length
Mike

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:27:14 AM »
There a re a lot of custom bowyers out there. Contact some of them and ask if they can build to your specs. If not, they may be able to advise you as to why that length is not necessary to get the shooting characteristics you seek. Stay in touch and let us know how your search works out. The only bow I have near that length is a 71" ELB, and it is very smooth. I also have several ASL bows that are just as smooth, and they are 68". However, my draw length is not nearly as long as yours.
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »
Javaman makes a 70" Impala.
Way above $200 though....$750 I think.
Gregg will build you a VERY nice bow.
For a quality bow in the price range you're looking for you may very well be searching for used bows.
There is a good classified section on this site, RMS gear has quite a few used bows as well.

You could check out Howard Hill bows, Little Crow and Northern Mist....only Bowers that came to mind that might make something in that length.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:43:58 PM by Zradix »
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »

---it is the last couple of inches that stacking occurs

--the draw cycle is affected by a multitude of factors--

--IMO proper taper rates are more important to your needs than overall length
You might've just touched on something there with the taper comment. I had a bow made by the same person that I have now. I loved that first bow but it got broken in a accidental situation. The one one I have now was built to the same #'s at my draw length just like the first one but he made this one thinner. Where I hold the bow is much thinner and the limbs are much thinner. Due to my lack of bow knowledge I would have never thought of tapering being a possibility because I have been beating myself up thinking that my discipline was all out of whack. I have been trying so hard to be more disciplined but the arrows are still flying in an erratic matter. Where I had a slight habit of going left turned into arrows going which ever direction. That all started with this new bow. I have had friends shoot this bow which they all have a 27-28" draw length and their arrows would fly true.

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
There a re a lot of custom bowyers out there. Contact some of them and ask if they can build to your specs. If not, they may be able to advise you as to why that length is not necessary to get the shooting characteristics you seek. Stay in touch and let us know how your search works out. The only bow I have near that length is a 71" ELB, and it is very smooth. I also have several ASL bows that are just as smooth, and they are 68". However, my draw length is not nearly as long as yours.
Thanks for information. I know that there really good bowyers out there but the sad part is that the internet isn't so productive for these people because most of my searches bring up the big name companies and sellers. My original comments of me bumping up to a much longer bow was just me going extreme instead of just making same increments. The benefit of that is me going up 10 steps but then having people like y'all reeling me back into reality.
Thanks again.

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Have you considered looking into a string follow design? I have found that my string follow ASL is smoother on the draw than my straight limb designed bow (at least for me at my draw length). That said, I find both to be great on the draw and love shooting them both.

Offline NORMANDIE59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
Pacific yew longbow 60# by Jay St Charles
Pacific Yew Longbow 55# by Jay St Charles
Elite Blacktail 50 # by Norm Johnson
Hybrid 50# by Phil Baumann

"THE PROPER FUCTION OF MAN IS TO LIVE, NOT TO EXIST".   JACK LONDON

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
Javaman makes a 70" Impala.
Way above $200 though....$750 I think.
Gregg will build you a VERY nice bow.
For a quality bow in the price range you're looking for you may very well be searching for used bows.
There is a good classified section on this site, RMS gear has quite a few used bows as well.

You could check out Howard Hill bows, Little Crow and Northern Mist....only Bowers that came to mind that might make something in that length.
Thanks for the info and I have seen Javaman popping up in a lot of comments as for being a really good bowyer. 750 is not bad. I just want to avoid the four digit range. I'll be quicker to spend 750 than I'll spend just a couple hundred on a bow.
Thanks again for replying and the useful information to go on. Much appreciated

Offline MMW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »
Have you considered looking into a string follow design? I have found that my string follow ASL is smoother on the draw than my straight limb designed bow (at least for me at my draw length). That said, I find both to be great on the draw and love shooting them both.
String follow design. That is something that I have no clue about. I am going to educate myself on that and consider it. Thank you for giving me something to learn about all of this and I do mean that in a positive way.

pavan

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 06:10:31 PM »
A 70" reverse grip Hill will get you the string angle of a 72" standard Hill.  Howard Hill archery, JD Berry, Northern Mist and others can make that, but you won't be getting it for $200.   Just curious what is your finger tip to finger tip wing span and full draw stature?

Offline maxpetros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 07:27:26 PM »
Kegan McCabe of omega longbows makes his imperial up to 70 inches. I really like my original. Hes got a lot of options and they're not priced too crazy

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:18 PM »
I would recommend contacting Craig Eakin at Howard Hill Archery. Craig has been making bows most of his life, is extremely knowledgeable, and easy to talk to. He should be able to answer all your questions and point you in the right direction. Craig's bows are well made, and fairly priced. Good luck with your search. :archer2:

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 12:02:46 AM »
Dan Toelke makes a 68" Super D that can easily accommodate your draw length and it is an exceptionally well-mannered bow, fast, near zero hand shock and quieter than quiet.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 12:24:08 AM »
Lancaster Archery sells bows branded Galaxy , they sell a well made good shooting bow the BlackRidge 70in longbow ( not 72in but close as I know ).

I have one and it’s a fine shooting bow , I also have 9 other of the Galaxy line of longbows and recurve bows and all have been very impressive. And for $200 shipped I think they are a great deal...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©