3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Georgia public land hogs with good campground?  (Read 1717 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Georgia public land hogs with good campground?
« on: November 20, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »
Hi guys -
    I've been looking to hunt hogs for a long time and think this February might be my time since I'm planning on driving down from PA and hunting public land.  I'm not looking for anyone's sweet spot but are there any recommendations on public land with good camping facilities?  So far it's a solo hunt so I'll take a little extra comfort for morale purposes  :campfire:
Thanks!!
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Georgia public land hogs with good campground?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »
Check the GA regs and see if Tuckahoe or Oaky Woods WMA's will be open during the period of time you are there. Both have good hog populations and camping areas.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »
I think the hog population increases as you go south in that state.  Lots of good WMAs to choose from.  One place that I had a lot of action at was Ft Stewart, but nowadays you have to qualify to bowhunt the hogs (not hard to do but you have to coordinate that with the folks in charge of the hunting permits).  Another challenge is that on any given day, a certain amount of units will be closed for training.  That means you could find hogs in a certain unit one day but not be able to hunt that unit again if it closes.  However there is a nice campground on base and there are plenty of hogs there to hunt.  Cool place!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 07:28:04 PM »
Good info thanks guys!

Offline Asummerlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 07:51:49 PM »
Im about due for a good hog hunt some of the best meat there is as far as im concerned. I would love to load up the old truck camper and hit the road for a long weekend bowhunting hogs in GA.
Barefoot Traditional Archers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Marine Corps veteran

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 08:05:06 PM »
The last time I hunted Ft. Stewart I had to qualify but it was NBD. I have seen some posts online that qualification was discontinued in 2017 due to manpower cuts and now everything is done online now except for firearms registration where that may apply. I'd get in contact with them and check that out to be sure. Ft Stewart is a prime area and would be my #1 pick.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 11:58:57 AM »
Thanks David - I'm going to do some more research on Fort Stewart..it'll likely be where I go.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »
Here's a tip:  you can't hunt the artillery impact zone so that's where a lot of hogs live (the odds are in their favor).  I like to cruise the adjacent units at dawn and check the sandy roads for fresh hog tracks coming out - that will tell you where to start🤓
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
You don't need to qualify at fort Stewart anymore. 

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the tip - so long as there isn't artillery impacting  :laughing:

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
Just got back from Hannahhattchee WMA down in Richland, GA (about... 1 hour 45 min. South of Atlanta), and I have to tell you how impressed I was. Tons of pigs, deer, and everything else with very healthy sounders. There’s a nice area for primitive camping and you’re technically good for 2 weeks per stay. Check in is done via a clipboard at a check in station that has rudimentary maps and such to grab. For terrain, as far as pigs go you’re looking at a large area with mostly ridge lines above creek bottoms and oxbow swamps. A lot of spurs and draws that work nice to keep you from being busted from one to the other since the spur walls are so steep.plenty of transitions and as a rare treat for down here not everywhere was logged out to death, though the creek bottoms are very open.  Everyone I met was incredibly friendly and helpful and no one tried to hide any honey holes. A side by side, quad, or 4 x 4 truck will get you mostly anywhere in there
Think a 3 day out of state license cost my buddy $35 (any license works for hogs, you dknt need a big game license). I went this month, but late winter will be great there.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
Oh, as a disclaimer, that hybrid boar in the pics died of unknown causes and I stumbled on him. My buddy has a bad back so we had to stick to the high ground more than I would have liked. 🙄 Additionally, I’m of the mind that a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush and a good spot to hunt is a good spot to hunt with no need to keep searching for a “better” spot “right around the next bend” whereas my hunting buddy sometimes gets a little wanderlust. If you find good sign and have good wind, brush up and wait and you’ll be all set.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 07:16:17 AM »
Sounds like a good trip cavscout did you get in to hogs?

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
Sounds like a good trip cavscout did you get in to hogs?

It was an awesome hunt. I’m not usually one for hunting with other people, for starters thats double the noise, double the smell, and double the movement. In this case it also means walking too much in places that are too high up for grazing pigs. I tried several times to gently prod him down into the low ground but with his back and stuff he was happier to stay on top the ridges. I love to hunt more than I love to kill, and hes an old friend, and so I indulged him. I did convince him to tuck under a Holly tree in an oxbow swamp for a bit which resulted in the largest buck hed ever been near come in, but we were caught off guard with the success and had to sit frozen until the jig was up and we were busted, ah well - so it goes. I have zero doubt that when I go back this winter that I will be into the pigs. Moral of the story? Hunt alone 😂 In all seriousness, everything I have ever killed that was bigger than a squirrel or duck was done on my own.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©