3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DL question (NEWB)  (Read 1388 times)

Offline DEW0341

• Trad Bowhunter
DL question (NEWB)
« on: November 21, 2018, 02:50:16 AM »
I just got into traditional archery and after diving into ALOT of videos and online sources I get that draw weight is measured at 28”, and I see on forums guys saying they pulling 27” or 30” of DL.

QueStion:
What is the standard for measuring from bowyers?

ATA or true DL?

Thanks ahead of time
ps. First post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DL question (NEWB)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 04:51:09 AM »
Welcome. Custom bowyers will make a bow to multiple draw lengths. They often recommend dif length bows for certain draw lengths. Commonly factory bows are often based on a 28” draw. Going beyond that adds weight increase, before it lessens draw weight
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline DEW0341

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
Welcome. Custom bowyers will make a bow to multiple draw lengths. They often recommend dif length bows for certain draw lengths. Commonly factory bows are often based on a 28” draw. Going beyond that adds weight increase, before it lessens draw weight
I guess I’m curious to what people are using as a measurement. I watch videos and they say “I’m a 29” draw”. What measurement standard does everyone typically use? ATA or true

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »
Videos can’t actually tell you you’re draw. You’ve gotta get good form than measure. If you’re a recent convert from compounds you normally lose a pinch but possibly you may be the same depending on if you used a release or not, a string loop and how long the release neck was. It all also depends on anchor. Imo anchor should be a finger in the lip corner. I use the middle. Some guys use the pointer finger.
Tell me this are you experienced or do you need the full gamut of help. I mind not either way I just need direction
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 12:35:53 PM »
When people are buying or selling bows, they typically specify the draw weight at 28”.  Of course, the user of the bow is more concerned with his actual draw weight at his actual draw length.  The conversion is about 2# per inch of draw length at weights less than 45#, and 3# per inch of draw length at weights more than 45#.  So if a person buys a 40# at 28” bow, and he is drawing 29”, his actual draw weight is about 42#.

Sometimes people buy a custom bow made specifically for their draw length, so you may see some bows marked 50# @ 30”.  Not very often, though.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
Most measure from the string to the back of the bow at the shelf (28"). Not from the string to the grip or pivot point.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
Draw length is often the listed at 28 in as a standard to be able to go from. You need to get your draw length measured so that you know what will fit your needs best. A draw length measurement with a compound bow will be significantly different than your draw length of the recurve or longbow. So you will need to have it measured. But when looking at other bow as mentioned above draw weights will vary based on the measurement at 28 in and your actual draw length
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DEW0341

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 11:53:15 PM »
Videos can’t actually tell you you’re draw. You’ve gotta get good form than measure. If you’re a recent convert from compounds you normally lose a pinch but possibly you may be the same depending on if you used a release or not, a string loop and how long the release neck was. It all also depends on anchor. Imo anchor should be a finger in the lip corner. I use the middle. Some guys use the pointer finger.
Tell me this are you experienced or do you need the full gamut of help. I mind not either way I just need direction
I’m experienced enough to figure out mine. I was a 31-1/4” draw on compound. As of now I’m a 30” draw on the Samick Sage I just bought, I’m assuming that may change a little bit when I get used to the shot sequence and getting my body mechanics used to the draw cycle of the recurve. As of now I’ve chosen to go 3 under and I anchor at corner of my lip with my index finger, nose on the string.

Offline DEW0341

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 11:53:51 PM »
Most measure from the string to the back of the bow at the shelf (28"). Not from the string to the grip or pivot point.
^thank you

Offline DEW0341

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Thank you all for your responses

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©