3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Duck n Goose broadheads  (Read 3151 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Duck n Goose broadheads
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:01:52 AM »
Sam inspired me last year w his duck hunting and I have a plan in place but have not decided on a point for my flu-flu's. I've considered simply using judos.  then we could use the big judos too.  Or we could use those snaro-bird points.  And then we could use the assortment of regular broadheads I have around here like the woodsmans or Magnus or zwickeys.
Whatcha think?
Tim B

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Duck n Goose broadheads
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
I'd use a broadhead. Any cheap head will do. You'll lose too many without some cut up front.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

pavan

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:07:45 AM »
Free Hi-Precision 3 blades work for ducks and geese.  Slap together wood arrows.  I do not like aggressive flu-flus.  Shooting at stuff that flies has us handicapped enough.

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:58:01 AM »
I have switched to shooting broad heads for grouse and have had good results.  I had shot many with judos and blunts and to many flew away.  Planning on trying for waterfowl myself this year.  I am using Eclipse broad heads (wasn't totally impressed with them so they went to small game heads instead).  I take a chainsaw file and put three serrations on either side of the head. Shot a blue grouse this weekend (comparable to a med size duck) and with the right placement was dead by the time it hit the ground.  I was also thinking of let them land for a better chance, though it seems to go against shooting them on the wing which I was brought up to believe was the only way. 

My opinion, broad heads only.  Judos will be flying away

pavan

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:44:24 PM »
A direct hit with a 3 Rivers Hammer blunt does a pretty cold number on pheasants.  With heads like HTM blunts a skid offs a real possibility.

Macatawa

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 12:20:40 AM »
I'd use a broadhead. Any cheap head will do. You'll lose too many without some cut up front.

I'm with Charlie here...I'd use a broadhead...there is a world of difference between pheasants and ducks (waterfoul) in regards to what it takes to knock 'em down and take 'em home.  Upland game birds (grouse, pheasants, etc) are ALOT easier to kill...

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:57 AM »
I only use broadheads , nothing particular I bet I have 20 different ones in the duck back quiver...

,,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
Thanks boys....broadheads it will be
Tim B

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:06:44 AM »
I used Bodkin BH's and cut the tail end about 3/8 " up from the back of each blade with tin snips to make a wicked lethal bird killer. The Bodkins are usually really cheap compared to most BH's and they fly great.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »
I Made these a couple years ago for birds...mostly geese.  Never really had an opportunity to use.  I use a Split fire expandable on the end but have modified it to stay open.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 11:20:14 AM by Hummer3T »
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 11:40:40 AM »
I would not use anything that impeded penetration!  Geese are tough critters and getting through the down and into the small vitals is tough.

Two bits of advice:

No flu flu and regular hunting set up.... I like a nice wide head but no grabbers.

Most importantly have a guy with a shotgun backing you up....they fly a long way and are hard to kill.... with an arrow in them your bird's picture may end up an an anti- website somewhere...

My brother shot one at close range with a 60 plus pound Jim Reynolds bow and wood arrow with woodsman broadhead.... he did not get a pass through.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©