3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows are Expensive!  (Read 4843 times)

Offline Porkchop1

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows are Expensive!
« on: November 21, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »
The last time I bought a bow was 15 years ago and I spent $175 on a used 64" Saxon American.  I thought it might be time to buy a new longbow and I nearly wet myself when I saw the prices.  Talk about sticker shock!!! LOL  :biglaugh:
Any suggestions for a quality mass produced bow? 
Porkchop

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows are Expensive!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 03:53:26 PM »
Just find a good deal on a mint used custom plenty out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
Nothing costs the same as it did 15 yrs ago. Set aside $550 and you can get something really nice off the classifieds. I saw a mint $900 Robertson sell for $525 last week. Be patient and you’ll find something. If you are 50ish pound guy you won’t have to wait long.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »
There are deals to be had on used bows.  However - you see a bunch listed for 70% or more of new price which is crazy to me. 

Maddog Archey makes a very shootable custom longbow for under $300. 
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 05:27:42 PM »
You can always build your own. Skip the research and development and get plans , and the first one will be a bit more but then for $ 175 you can build super nice ones!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Porkchop1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 05:40:04 PM »
You can always build your own. Skip the research and development and get plans , and the first one will be a bit more but then for $ 175 you can build super nice ones!

I don't have the patience to build one.   I rush fletching arrows because I'm in a rush to shoot them. LOL
Porkchop

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
 To bad you are not near to Colorado.  Rocky Mountain Speciality Gear has hundreds of used bows.  You can spend several days shooting them before you decide.

Offline Porkchop1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 05:55:12 PM »
There are deals to be had on used bows.  However - you see a bunch listed for 70% or more of new price which is crazy to me. 

Maddog Archey makes a very shootable custom longbow for under $300.
Interesting, I wonder how he does it for that price???  Thanks!
Porkchop

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 06:34:24 PM »
Those can be expensive, but they also could be very economical. You don't have to spend $3,000 on a new custom. There are many great deals to be had at under 500. It's all a matter of taste and what you want, but if you're only looking for a tool you can make out just fine.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Asummerlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear (rmsgear.com) has some great prices on used bows of all different price ranges.
Barefoot Traditional Archers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Marine Corps veteran

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 07:07:39 PM »
I agree w the used bow. It’s prob depreciated to the point you could move it for the same or similar price.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

pavan

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 07:17:22 PM »
If I would have listened to John Schulz many many years ago, I would have spent $120 on a yew glass 66" 55 pound longbow and said good enough forever.   It took me 40 years to learn that he was correct.   When you cannot wear a bow out and it fits you perfect, how many bows do you need?  That will save you a lot of money.  It is very possible to own dozens of bows and not know how to shoot one of them properly.   It is also possible to own one Hill style bow  shoot it the way Hill would and have lots of money to make lots of wood arrows so you can have lots of fun shooting at lots various game and still have money leftover.   The difference comes by what you have versus what you do with what you have. 

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »
Just like anything else, guns ,vehicles etc. quality brings better prices. I have expensive bows and budget ones also. You just have to learn to shoot them.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Macatawa

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 12:08:05 AM »
The last time I bought a bow was 15 years ago and I spent $175 on a used 64" Saxon American.  I thought it might be time to buy a new longbow and I nearly wet myself when I saw the prices.  Talk about sticker shock!!! LOL  :biglaugh:
Any suggestions for a quality mass produced bow?

Hello Arleigh...welcome to Trad Gang!

TG is a family oriented website.  We do not routinely "wet ourselves" here but have a great time nevertheless.

Good quality custom bows are not cheap but, in my experience they can be a great investment.  Trad Gang has several uniquely qualified Sponsors (bowyers) that are easy to work with that have been around for many years, providing the "gang" with exceptional products.   

Good guys with awesome offerings.   :wavey:

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 12:38:17 AM »
I have been having some good luck with my cheap longbows , look up Galaxy Ember or the BlackRidge. They are well made and shoot great , for $200 tyd they are hard to beat in my book...

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 09:10:25 AM »
I have a Maddog Prarie Predator and like it- around $300 and it is made to your specs.  Also, I like the looks of this bow I was just made aware of- about $500 -
http://www.bigstickarchery.com/bow-models/
You don't need to spend a lot for a good bow.  Best wishes on your selection.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline wapitishooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 11:04:41 AM »
Yes they seem exspensive but when you consider the time and craftsmanship involved, their really not. also when you order you get what you want as far as weight and wood combos. If you want a reasonable very good shooting longbow tho a bear Montana hard to beat.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
If you want a good deal on a handcrafted bow, I'd look to the classifieds.  However I think there are a lot of bowyers out there UNDER charging for their craft. 

$1000 on a custom, handmade bow is a lot of money but that doesn't go very far in a shop.  Most of these bowyers have upwards of $20,000 in equipment, stock thousands of dollars in high end woods (a lot of which has to be thrown away), and their time and experience have to be worth something.  I make handmade knives and when I sell locally I give 9.5% to taxes.  When tax season comes around I get self employment taxes.  Added together that hits me for ~40% of the sale in taxes.  So a $1000 knife breaks down into:
$1000
-$400 - taxes
-$200-400 in materials/makers cost depending on the handle materials and steel
--------------------------
$200-400 profit to be used to pay for labor, insurance, a shop (hopefully with new equipment on occasions), and experience/waste which does happen and does cost money  Divide that out by the number of hours to build a bow and you'll see our bowyers aren't getting rich.

Likewise, if you stroll through any major sporting goods store your likely to find tons of factory rifles for $500-1500 which coincidentally is what most handmade bows are running.  The guns likely have higher tooling costs to manufacture and similar materials costs to a bow but have MUCH less labor.  I'm not so sure that a custom bow is all that expensive when you look at more than just the sticker price. 

I've bought, shot, and sold hundreds while trying to find a favorite.  I didn't loose money on almost any of my used bow purchases/sales.  When I found exactly what I liked, I promptly placed an order for a brand new bow from that bowyer and didn't blink twice when he quoted me what he needs to make it happen.  My cash for his labor is going to be far cheaper than for me to tool up to make my own and go through the decades of learning that Bob has already done for me. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:44:14 PM by GDPolk »
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »
Custom bowyers definitely earn their money.  We may well be living in the golden age of custom bowmaking.  I don’t believe there has ever been so many excellent bows to choose from, and soon there may not be as many, as the quality of bows made in factories overseas continues to increase and the prices continue to decrease.  I don’t believe the quality of bows made in factories overseas will ever match the quality of custom made bows, but if it comes close, and the prices are way below the price of a custom bow, it can’t help but cut into sales of custom bows.  And as has been pointed out above, there really isn’t that much room to cut prices.  I believe it’s similar to custom cabinets in kitchens: people would prefer to have custom cabinets, but how much more are they willing to pay compared to semi-custom cabinets made in factories that look almost the same on the outside?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Porkchop1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 11:13:57 AM »
Thanks for all of the advice and input.  I'm familiar with small business costs and don't begrudge the custom bowyers their money, I just can't afford a new one.  So my best option is probably a used bow.  Thanks again for all of the help.
Porkchop

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©