3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possible conversion from a wheel “bow.”  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Possible conversion from a wheel “bow.”
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »
My brother in law said he’s considering trading in his training wheels for a bare stick. He said the almost forgone conclusion of the shot, even at extended ranges, has taken the fun out of it. We shall see how this goes.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible conversion from a wheel “bow.”
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 05:56:15 PM »
That's one reason I gave it up. Wheels where hardly a challenge anymore. I was was spot on most times out past 70yds plus I hated carrying 5+ pounds around.
 Give him plenty of encouragement, take him to few trad only shoots.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
The exact reason I switched myself. The first year I hunted with traditional gear I’d be like man if I had my compound that deer would be toast. Then when I killed my first trad deer this year at 6 yards I was not even thinking about my wheel bows. Now it is all dusted up in the garage. I’ll probably break it down and box it just in case my shoulders ever give out but until then it’s longbows and feathers.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
Wheel bows aren't bad and this isn't us against them.  It is disappointing to see that idea being pushed. 
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
Not saying they're bad, taken several deer with them just not as challenging as the trad bow.
 I'm a supporter of all things archery and I can appreciate the accuracy some folks have with releases and pins etc.
 Traditional is not for everyone either.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 10:04:35 PM »
Best of luck teaching your brother-in-law Soonerlongbow. 
Great post kevsuperg. 
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline 10essee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:06:40 AM »
It’s absolutely nothing against wheel bows. I shot them for 28 years and killed a pile of critters. I have just decided for “myself” that traditional equipment is more suited for the way I want to hunt now. It’s no longer about killing as far as ethically possible its more about a personal connection to the game I’m pursuing and I feel that hunting with trad gear give me a deeper appreciation for the chase making the end result that much more satisfying. 

GCook

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
Wheel bows aren't bad and this isn't us against them.  It is disappointing to see that idea being pushed.
I agree.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 12:11:03 PM »
I changed over for about the same reason.
I only push the "trad" way out of the experience of enjoying/satisfaction of getting game with what I found to be a harder way.
My only recommendations to him is to start with around a 45# draw (if he's average in strength) and something around 60" +- 2" or so.
I tried a very short Herter's 46" with a 40" string as my 1st trad bow....touchy little thing.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Macatawa

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »

I don't see where anyone alluded to that.

FWIW... I come from the same perspective.  Started hunting with Browning/Bear one piece recurves in the late 60's.   Followed the masses through the compound experience and report the same...it was too easy and not for me.  So here I am by choice - happy to be here BTW    :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©