3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late season Jacket  (Read 3643 times)

Online brian wagar

• Trad Bowhunter
Late season Jacket
« on: November 25, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
Looking for suggestions on a late season jacket things get a little cold in Montana in December and January! Been using a Cabelas 1/4 zip Wooltimate jacket little noisy and bulky.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:21:52 PM by brian wagar »

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late season J1acket
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »
While it probably doesn't get as cold here in New York as it does in Montana, when the temps dip into the 20's or so I turn to my Sitka Fanatic jacket or my Firstlite Boundary jacket to keep me warm on stand. They are a bit expensive but if you shop around you can find them on sale occasionally.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online brian wagar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late season Jacket
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:26:33 AM »
Been looking at both was concerned about the noise some are saying with the fanatic.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 12:01:29 PM »
I have the Sitka Incinerator bibs and jacket.  Very good at blocking the wind and warm.  Not particularly quiet.  Wouldn't work very well for still hunting, IMO, but fine on stand.  I've drawn on deer very close without the fabric sounds spooking them.

For still hunting, I still use all wool like King of the Mountain or Grey Wolf.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
I get no noise at all from either jacket. The Fanatic’s exterior is fleece-like.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online brian wagar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
The four jackets that I am looking at are the Sitka Fanatic, First Lite Woodbury, Cabelas Wooltimate, and day one parka.would of purchased the Woodbury my size is not available anyone have any thoughts on these coats or had most of them what would be your pick.

huntryx

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 06:55:27 AM »
Fanatic, for sure. With the bibs.

arrow30

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
I think the wooltimate is hard to beat, windbreaking warmth.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 12:17:10 PM »
First lite sanctuary parka and bibs. I’ve used it for several years now. I layer under it according to the temperature and how long I’m sitting still.

Tapered sleeves for archery. A hood that you can shoot with while wearing and still see to your sides. No noise from the material. Light weight when compared to my silent predator wool and warmer.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 01:13:30 PM »
First lite sanctuary!!!

Offline larry f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
I have a first lite sanctuary jacket that I wear on windy days only, as I am concerned about the noise it makes. (paranoid)  I still go back to my heavy wool jacket when it is super quiet out and near 10 above or colder.
Larry Fischer
PBS Regular
Wisconsin Bow Hunters
WisconsinTradtional

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »
I have all of the jackets you are considering. All are good and serve a purpose, but if I was stand hunting in Montana in January for over three hours at a time I would buy the Sanctuary. You should be able to stay as long as your feet will let you in single digit temps. The Woodbury and the fanatic are okay down into the upper teens. The wooltimate will require lots of layers and bulk to stay comfortable below 20 degrees.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »
I think the wooltimate is hard to beat, windbreaking warmth.

X2 … I have the jacket and pants, love them. Also I have a KOM stand master jacket that is super but you might find it bulky, its a jacket within a jacket. Not a still hunting garment for sure.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
Check out Gray Wolf Woolens. I have a Wolfskin jacket with insulation and wind blocker and it's the warmest thing I've ever put on.  Dead quiet, and available in ASAT and Predator - two great patterns.
I know the Sanctuary is great as well but I prefer the softer light diffusing fabric of the Gray Wolf.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
I have been using Wooltimate with great success.Just came back from a hunt in the low 20's with gusty winds,polypropylene base layer,heavy wool sweater and pullover and was very comfortable.For the cost I feel it is a great product.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

pavan

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 08:45:03 PM »
camo Filson double mac with a Filson wool vest under neath.   

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »
It depends on how far you are walking or carrying gear. Are moving or in your in a stand for hours? Kuiu synthetics can't be beat in most applications. Unless you are just goin a few hundred easy yards to a stand, then there is some heavier options that would be warmer.
The Kuiu layering like the insulated snap shirt and Kenai jacket combined is incredibly warm and almost weightless and silent. Kuiu's down is probably warmer but I'm not a fan of that particular jacket skin. It seems like it would just a little loud when drawing. I'm sure you could put something on over it.
 I got one of the Kuiu insulated snap shirts for an every day work/office jacket. It's too hot most of the time like just standing in line at the convenience store. The stuff is amazing for it's bulk and weight.
Tedd

Online brian wagar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
Okay the two I  like the best are sitka fanatic and the sanctuary the sanctuary looks great but real bulky is it or is it just the pictures?

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »
I went with the Sitka Celsius as I found that the Fanatic is too bulky in the chest. I'm currently trying to find a better insulator to go under it (perhaps the Celsius Midi), as it doesn't stop the wind and only is good for me down to about 25. If you can find an insulating windstopper that won't bind, you should be good well below that with the Celsius.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 05:28:00 PM »
I have the fanatic, and love the cut on the sleeves and the warmth to bulk ratio, but that fleece is noisy as heck on the draw, particularly the string arm.  Seriously thinking of cutting that sleeve off.  The warmest that I have found is cabelas stand hunter.  Bulky, but binoculars scraps solve that.  Seldom cold enough to use them, but much quite on the draw than the fanatic, IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©