3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: POLL - Greatest Bowhunter Ever  (Read 969 times)

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: POLL - Greatest Bowhunter Ever
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
I voted for Fred.... alothough Barry W would have been a close second.

Offline Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
Primitive man.........hands down!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Well to be honest it is not a queston I have ever thought about.If I had to pick anyone I guess it would be Hill because of his movies and short films.They were shown a lot and I expect it had a greater influece in making people look at the bow as a weapon as anything since. As far as big animals and record books stuff goes.Most of that is just having the chance to be at the right place and right time more than others.jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
Well I gotta say Paul Schafer, with his feats and good grace he played a big role in my life when I was a young man. Untelling what he would have done if his life was'nt cut short, we will never know. With the time he had on earth he has provided great storys and helped alot of young novice hunters get interested in our craft. Really it would be hard to pick from this list of great hunters. they all belong at the top.

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »
Well growing up in Michigan and visiting the Fred Bear museum, seeing all those animals etc..  wow!!!  I just couldnt wait to bend a stick after that.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Mr. St Charles is one the reasons I even have a bow season out here.  Without him I would just be an archer.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
There are many great bowhunters but the one that always come to my mind first is Fred Bear    :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Can't really cast a vote without good ol Saxton Pope. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
Man it's hard to vote for just one!   :smileystooges:  

Well call me Benedict Arnold (a Michigander not voting for Papa Bear) but I felt bad & voted for   Ben Pearson  .  I've seen a lot of Ben's hunts & he was a GREAT bowhunter that did it all.  He inspired more than one guy to bird hunt.  Pheasant hunting with bow is more fun than you should be allowed to have!
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
My Dad....wouldnt know what a bow was 33 years if it wasnt for him!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
If I recall correctly, Paul Schafer regarded Lewistown Montana's own Rosie Roseland as the best bowhunter he ever met. And I hear from those who would know such things that he is still considered the best mountain lion hunter there is.
DonD

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
In their prime, using their best equipment, and hunting their favorite game animal in their most familiar environment, it would be difficult to pick the best.
Hill seems to be the decathalete of the group, and Fred Bear got me into archery, but I voted for Ishi as the spiritual mentor. Best archer, naw, but Ishi would call in his game to short range and often whiz arrows past his target before the money shot. Best hunter? He kept himself fed without anything but his skill and wits.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
Excellent list of bowhunting masters.  I voted for Howard Hill for a number of reasons (the 1500 rabbits thing is one of those reasons - heh) but those folks are all inspiring.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
JDS3  if you think anyone with a compound is even CLOSE to some of the guys on the list, our definition of "bowhunter" is vastly different!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
Biggie,

I cannot speak for JDS3, but I believe his post was not intended to mean just "anyone with a compound", but he probably had someone in mind....maybe Chuck Adams.  

I know "Smilin Chuckie" is a polarizing figure in the world of bowhunters, but it's tough to deny his success and the contribution he has made to the sport.  But he's not on my list because he's not trad.

Thanks to all who have voted so far, and if you have not, please do.  Write ins are welcome.  As someone else said, there are so many greats in our sport, it's difficult to vote for only one.
Lon Scott

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
What contribution has he made to bowhunting?
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
I jumped to the Trad side when after two seasons killing a deer became way too easy. After starting with trad gear I realized what Archery was really all about and how important it is in my life. There is not a single day that goes by that I don't think about bowhunting/gear/game, ect..I'm sure everyone who reads this will relate. A modern guy got me involved; but ISHI put me on the path. ISHI is my choice for primitive/trad best bowhunter. Without him and Dr. Pope where would "we" be?

Sanderlin III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 07:26:00 PM »
Not saying Fred was the best hunter out of all the names we had to sellect from but Fred Bear did more to promote and influence bowhunting (good or bad) in our culture today then probably most of the guys on the list put together.  Like I said not that he was the best hunter per say but I think everybody in archery has owned a piece or two from Fred Bear archery I don't think that can be said from most of the others?
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
ttt
Lon Scott

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
I agree with Anointed Archer...it would be tough to find someone who did more to promote bowhunting (again, good or bad) better than Papa Bear....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©