3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: POLL - Greatest Bowhunter Ever  (Read 970 times)

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: POLL - Greatest Bowhunter Ever
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Mr. Bear

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
I would have to say the average hunter who goes out in a tireless effort to pursue all of the tasty critters. The Highlights section in here and all the stories being told are my motivation.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2008, 01:11:00 PM »
The first name that popped into my head- was of course Fred Bear.  After attending many Anderson Archery clinics and meeting Fred each time, he had done more to promote to archery at a time when tv, radio, etc. became more mainstream.  This use of the media in turn- was the building block for the promotion factor.
Current "best bowhunters" - The Wensels get my vote for the way promote the fun in shooting and enjoying our past-time.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
Fred might have done a lot for the sport but pick a copy of "Fred Bear Field Notes", Yikes!
lll

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
i think the question was "who is the best bowHUNTER" and to just answer the question it doesn't matter how many people he introduced to the sport or how good of a marksman he is.

i think bowHUNTER is judged by what he has killed and by that definition there should only be two people in this poll Fred Bear and Howard Hill, i don't know of anyone that comes close to the number of species or the number of game these two people killed. but i dont know everything and am not very familier with some of the people on his list.

i voted for howard hill.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
The hunters of the past are well recognized individuals.  Some are made into legends by us who has never hunted with or known them.  There are many who are still around who has made contributions in their writings of adventures and bowhunting in general.  Fred Asbell, Don Thomas, Nathan Andersohn, and Sam Fadala are some of my poll favorites.  These guys live to bowhunt!  Well, at least Don used to...  ;)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
...just a few short of 300 folks taking the poll...
Lon Scott

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
I would be hard pressed to pick one. So many have done so much for bowhunting. From being recognized world wide to the local hero. IMO it would not be the individual who has killed the most or biggest but what he has done unselfishly for bowhunting. One individual that comes to mind is Jerry Pierce. There are many more. I have been a tradgang member for just a very short time and have seen many here that fit that criteria as well. I honestly, IMO, don't think that there is just one greatest bowhunter.
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
In terms of influence, Fred Bear, hands down. Who would I LEAST like to see coming through the woods if I were a big bull elk? Paul Schaefer. And alligatordon is right: Rosey Roseland is the best lion hunter in the world. We hunt together all winter long and he never ceases to amaze me with his insight into cats and dogs. Don

Offline eaglefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 03:09:00 AM »
All of the choices above deserve credit no doubt,but what about the native american indian who were here first,who inspired our heros above. Whom continue to inspire all of us.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
How about Bob Lee? He would have to fit in there somewhere.    Bob Lee
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I agree, don’t believe one person can be defined as the “greatest”. What determines greatness???

The most “influential” to me was Jay Massey after I began reading his material from the late 70s/early 80s and on, then finally meeting him was a great honor.

Before that as a kid, it was Fred Bear while watching his shows on Saturday mornings. The episode of his world record (at the time) brown bear did it for me and was hooked for life as a bowhunter. Used to be my ultimate dream/goal was to hunt griz with a bow. Funny – Now have no desire to so (even black bear) but that’s a whole other can of worms…8^)

Can someone clue me in on Rosey Roseland, don’t recall ever hearing of the man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©