3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question re Brush-type arrow rest...  (Read 155 times)

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Question re Brush-type arrow rest...
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
Hi, all...     When I decided to try some recurves and some vaned arrows, I knew I'd have to also try a raised rest.  I've tried a few, mostly of the magnetic flipper type, but one of those broke on me and I wanted something simpler for reliablility.  I recalled the popularity years ago of the little brush rests and went looking for one... no luck... not made, or at least unknown to the two local shops i have.   I did manage to score three old unused ones on "that place" and they arrived a few minutes ago.    I find the bristles on them kind of stiff, but really don't have enough experience to judge.    In the experience of some of you guys who have perhaps used them in the past, would somewhat stiff bristles be suitable for shooting both feathers and vanes, or should I pass on installing one of these and stick to the flippers?
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question re Brush-type arrow rest...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Have you tried a feather cut down and glued to the riser (use a dab or rubber cement) fase the feather so it will collapse if the fletch makes contact. I have never tried it but have seen it and the concept sounds like it will work
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:40:00 PM »
Great feather rest reproductions.
mailto:[email protected]
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
3-Rivers sells a brush rest- cat. #3199. $3.29. I have one on a BP Palomino target bow and it works great.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Dick, I would use an eleveated rest for vanes, the cavelier is very durable, it is metal with a platic guard. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »
Black Widow sells the brush rest also.

Offline red44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I have a couple I got from that site, E.., 10 years ago or more. They do seem stiff, but what do you have to lose by trying what you have? They do have to hold the arrow up after all, perhaps you could trim away some?

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »
Just thought I'd chime in. 3 rivers has the rest you are looking for, also the new version of the Hoyt Pro rest,now metal spring steel instead of plastic, works great for vanes or feathers. I have these and the, I believe, Cavalier which is a dual flipper rest with a v spring plunger in front. I have one of these on a #60 T/D recurvea and a #50 dream catcher, that I hunt with and use vanes almost exclusively. Yeah I know feathers are sweet shooting and nostalgic, but they are high maintenance,expensive and noisy in flight. Another plus for me in shooting off an elevated rest is that my bows seem to shoot flatter, nearly dead on to 25 yards! Hope this helps. Sam
samuel koger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©