3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: November 30th, 2018 - A Day to Remember  (Read 8381 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
November 30th, 2018 - A Day to Remember
« on: December 01, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »
Now that Ben has started the Fire.... :saywhat:

Folks, I am excited to share the wonderful blessing that culminated the eve of Iowa's 2018 First Shotgun Season. In other words, the Final Sunset of Iowa's 2018 Early Archery Season... :pray:

Last night's adventure has been written on my heart & mind forever. Thank you Lord for Blessing me and Thank you Ben for all the help/sacrifice/and friendship we share. November 30th, 2018 - A day to remember... :goldtooth: :notworthy:

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: November 30th, 2018 - A Day to Remember
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
 :campfire: Ok I’ll be first to say get this show on the road!  Carry on Kaz 😁
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
To set the stage, I'm a little ahead of my typical pace as someone who knows me initiated a Fire to put me in motion. Full well knowing it could be days before I strike the keys..... :smileystooges:

My photographer has released a few pics, so I'll make something happen sooner than later. Though I know we all have different preferences for story protocol, I will do my best to make it worthy of your time and direct Praise to the only one worthy, my Lord and Creator. For without his Providence, I am nothing... To God be the Glory :pray: :notworthy: :clapper:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »
As many of you know, my past has been filled with Wilderness Public Land Adventures. Last year, brought on access to a special 25 Acre Private area that yielded a wonderful Iowa Whitetail on October 28th, 2017. This year, I was very fortunate to add access to a wonderful Southern Iowa property which had me tickled to learn the new property. I knew in order to fully appreciate and learn the property I would pursue a Mature Iowa Whitetail Buck. This would mean patience, hard-work, and a willingness to mix it up even when the comfort of old ideas & strategies beckoned...

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
Congrats, Kaz..

Now about them pichers?

LOL

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »
This will get good! :campfire: :coffee:
>>>--------->

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
 :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Macatawa

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 04:16:30 PM »
Congrats, Kaz..

Now about them pichers?

LOL

X2... :wavey:

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »
 :campfire: :campfire:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 04:32:53 PM »
It's gonna take me awhile to sort out the picture formatting again as it's been awhile. I've got the Imgur working, but I need to re-read the tutorial real quick...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 04:40:55 PM »
This spring I got the idea that I should really look into an some form of transportation on this new property as it was long and narrow, and fairly sizeable as well. It's a ways from home so to be efficient there it would sure be helpful to have some field transportation. I started looking at Mountain Bikes, and here's where I ended up:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
Well, I think I have the pics figured out for now... I normally do a full season update at the end of the year, but I'll streamline it. I started the year off at my annual County Park Management Hunt in October and it was a great early season. I was able to harvest two wonderful does on a Nice Acorn Flat. It was all about the acorns..... The last pic was the second of those two does after my "Trailer" arrived :thumbsup: :goldtooth: I was able to use the Bike and pull my doe out 600 yards in about 3 Minutes.......... :saywhat:

I think this bike & cart are gonna be a wonderful addition to my arsenal... :clapper:

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 05:03:06 PM »
 :scared: 600yds. in 3min. i'm impressed  :thumbsup:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
For the pics or it didn't happen folks, here's a late night solo recovery set of pics on the first doe of the season :goldtooth:

I apologize in advance for the clarity, but I was a man on a mission and needed to use an old fashioned cart in a poison ivy infested thicket.... :dunno:

Entrance

Exit

What a wonderful way to get the season started with my Black Widow KB 54", 53lb@28" Dream Bow :archer2:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »
It's time to focus on the Journey to November 30th, 2018...

I spent as much time as possible scouting and hanging stands on the new property AND the 25 Acre spot. Trail Cameras were in place and I was anxious to see what kind of activity was in store. I can tell you that we had a lot of does and a decent number of bucks. Definitely some that I would love to have, but no real jaw droppers.... I had already made up my mind that it was a Mature Iowa Whitetail Buck or Buck Tag Soup. I wanted to learn, and have more time in the woods seeing God's wonderful Creation... :notworthy:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
With a couple of wonderful Iowa Whitetail Does in the freezer in Early October, I was pretty relaxed and ready put in the time. For the first time ever I took a full week off from work to hunt the Rut. Late October dabbling, with strong work first part of November. I will say that I have never sat so many all day Dark to Dark sits in some pretty frigid weather I might add...

I gave it my all, and I mixed things up playing the wind and most recent information. Despite feeling optimistic on every stand site and sit, too me the Iowa Rut was a little off. No build up, only an occasional chase, and for the most part young bucks. I was getting a little weary. I was passing lots of does and smaller bucks with probably the largest pass a couple of 2-1/2 year old 130" bucks. Great encounters no doubt, but where are the Mature Bucks?

Finally, in a weak moment on a slow evening sit I just had to loose the arrow on a great eating small doe at the 25 Acre spot. Praise God for a perfect shot, down in 40 yards. Thank you Lord :pray: What a great confidence refresher and a boost to the determination to hold out for a Mature Buck or nothing :thumbsup:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »
Now, I'm refreshed and focused once again on the Big Boys... I continued to hunt hard but the Mature Bucks were elusive...

I had scouted some really nice sanctuary bedding areas in close proximity to Cedar Buck Haunts earlier in the year. My goal had initially been to leave them as sanctuaries, but I got to tell you they were calling my name as hour after hour, day after day I was only getting fringe movements...

Finally about a week ago, I decided an all day hang and hunt right smack in the middle of the sanctuary was necessary... I got in during the dark and hung my Lone Wolf Set. Wind was right, a cold North Wind... At first light, the first buck materialized and made a scrape at 22 yards. A beautiful 125-130" class buck unawares... He was likely a 2-1/2 year old deer and not what I was after this year. Then began the best sit of the year, several does, fawns and small bucks were milling around me for 30-45 minutes. This is what I'd been waiting for! ACTION!!! I stayed all day and saw several bucks, does, fawns etc.. I even saw two Mature Bucks seeking for does. Perfect :thumbsup: The day didn't end with a shot opportunity but it was uplifting for sure. I would be back if/when the wind was right :pray: :pray: :pray:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »
Work and Weather were starting to reduce hunting time drastically and I was starting to wonder if I'd have to switch my mind and plans to our December/January Late Season...

I tried to stay positive and focus on the many blessing already bestowed upon me throughout the season. (3) Wonderful Does in the freezer, great hunts, wonderful property to learn and enjoy. I also reminded myself that just because I work/hunt harder it's still not a guarantee. It is by God's Providence and sovereignty that all things ultimately come together.

This brings us to yesterday November 30th, 2018 -A Day to Remember...................... :goldtooth:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Ah just take yer time, Kaz...

:laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©