3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OTC opinion  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Howitser

• Trad Bowhunter
OTC opinion
« on: December 01, 2018, 08:40:02 PM »
Not getting any younger and would like to get out west for elk. Probably my last whack at it.Would have to be a OTC, DIY hunt.  If these were your criteria which state would you go for. I'm not fussy about a bull, would like an adult. Thanks for your opinion.
Howie
Never forget our POW/MIA's

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: OTC opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:46:06 PM »
Pretty easy to get a tag in Idaho or Colorado.  Most other states are draw.  More elk, and more hunters in Colorado.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
Nope Idaho's full, try Colorado.
 I'm not sure of Idaho's non resident otc tags but if I can help in any way let me know.
 Where I live there is plenty of easy access to the mountains,( good thing, bad thing) think alpine not Rocky cathedrals.
 Coming up on the close of my 2nd season here and have yet to see an elk.  Lots a sign tho.  Plenty of moose too.
 Good luck kevin
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
Most of Idaho's tags are draw, but many do not or at least have not sold out so it's pretty easy to get tags there.  Would have to check, but I don't think Idaho starts accepting applications until after the first of the year. 

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
There's a possibility that 2019 could be the last year for OTC archery tags in Colorado.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
Monterey, I'm wondering where you're seeing/hearing this. I haven't heard a word about it and it seems there would be a mutiny among residents who want to build points but still hunt every year.
FoCoBlackWidow

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
The rumor I heard was the residents could still buy tags OTC and that non residents tags would be either draw or limited and sold on a first come first served basis. May not be a speck of truth to it though.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »
Most of Idaho's tags are draw, but many do not or at least have not sold out so it's pretty easy to get tags there.  Would have to check, but I don't think Idaho starts accepting applications until after the first of the year.
Not true. Idaho has 12,815 OTC NR elk tags every year, and the 2019 tags went on sale yesterday to NR.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 03:53:12 PM »
The rumor I heard was the residents could still buy tags OTC and that non residents tags would be either draw or limited and sold on a first come first served basis. May not be a speck of truth to it though.
I think if any change occurs in CO it won't be until after the 5 year plan they just approved ends, everything at this point is internet gossip and speculation.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 07:15:48 PM »
I stand corrected.  Most Idaho tags are not draw, but they are limited within each management unit. Because some units sell out, (two already have) it might be wise to buy your tag early if you plan to hunt there.   

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 03:51:46 PM »
I think if any change occurs in CO it won't be until after the 5 year plan they just approved ends, everything at this point is internet gossip and speculation.

They're just now getting to the five year Big Game Season Structure (BGGS).  The new structure will be effective for 2020.

Many are concerned about crowding during the month of September and anything can happen.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/SeasonStructure.aspx
Monterey

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »

They're just now getting to the five year Big Game Season Structure (BGGS).  The new structure will be effective for 2020.

Many are concerned about crowding during the month of September and anything can happen.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/SeasonStructure.aspx
Still internet gossip and speculation. They won't do anything without a public comment period, so that means there'll be no changes for 2019, and that will lead into the 2020 season structure. 

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 08:36:07 PM »
That's my point, 2019 MAY be the last year for OTC archery elk tags.

Meetings and public comment is already underway.  It's going to be an interesting process.
Monterey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©