3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Glove -vs-Tab  (Read 356 times)

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Glove -vs-Tab
« on: March 29, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
I was just wondering how many of you shot with one of these or both. I have allways shot with a glove, but I'm thinking about trying a tab. I have heard that you get alot better release with a tab over a glove, is this true? And what would be a good tab to try? Caviler?
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Deer Slayer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glove -vs-Tab
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I personally prefer a Tab, but it is all a matter of personal preferance. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Just have to try one and see. I prefer a Cordovan leather tab with a finger spacer. They can be picked up cheap at 3Rivers or just about any of the Trad supply stores. Best of luck!

Mark

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
I shoot a split finger tab. I feel like I get a better release with a tab. Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I get a better release with a tab.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Always have used a tab-no reason to change a thing.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Use whatever feels AND works best.  If you haven't tried a tab, pick one up (or better yet, make one) and see for yerself.  There's nothing like hand's-on 'sperimentin'.  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline WidowEater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
Just as I no longer use a compound bow I no longer use a tab.  I use only what I prefer to use for hunting.  If it is not good for hunting my way than I get rid of it.  I used a tab when I first started in traditional but one day into the bow season I realized i needed the convenience of a glove.  I shot better with the tab just as I shot better with a compound bow.  But for hunting traditional is best.  Not because it is a challenge, but because I feel I am a better jeager with the stick and string.

Just an opinion....
Silence over speed.  Heavier arrows never hurt.

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 08:51:00 PM »
I started with a glove, tried a tab, but can't get use to it. Release seems better with the tab, but after a while the arrows go all-over-the-place. Old school sticking with the glove.
Conny

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Personally, I might get easier ( read: less practice ) overall finger/knuckle alignement with string using a tab, but I get much better feel with glove, so I shoot with glove and try to keep conscious of my alignement, making an effort to keep my fingers from torquing the string
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
I'm sticking with a glove, I have tried a tab the last few months but can't get used to it, it feels like the tab will go "downrange" with the arrow if I don't grip it tight so I tend to grip the string too tight with a tab. I shot a compound for years with no sights and finger release and always used a glove, too much "muscle memory" to get over I guess. But most everyone says if you can shoot one, a tab is a much cleaner release. Just not for me.
So much for my 2cents.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »

I like the cord. tab and shape it so I have only what is necessary on my fingers. No muss no fuss and will last forever.  :pray:  

Chort

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
I shot with a glove for the last 6 or 7 years but have recently switched to a Cavelier tab and love it.  I also switched to a deeper hook on the string.  The Cav is a no brainer if you take a deep hook because all you have to do is butt the string against the plate and fold your fingers back towards you.  It's helped my shooting quite a bit.  But as others said above you will really have to try both to see what work best for you.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
The thing about trying something like this, is you wont shoot well at first. You are doing something totally different, and you're gonna have to give it some time. When I decided to try a tab I got a plain old cordovan tab from 3 rivers, cost about 10 bucks. I decided I would shoot with it for 30 days and really see if it was any better. At first I was discouraged and wanted to throw it away, but as time passed and I shot more and more with it, I realized my releases were so much cleaner and more consistent. My hands didnt hurt after 50-100 arrows each practise session. While playing with the tab I found much better alignement, and as a result I now shoot much better than I thought was possible.

I also ended up taking a much deeper hook, which relaxed my hand, and you just wont believe the difference it makes in your shooting.

This was my experience, I know others who spit when they see a tab. Just try it if you want to, but make sure you really try it long enough to see if it will make a difference for you.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Definitely agree with Russ about giving it a little time and will also add  with the Cavelier(I'm sure its the same with others) it will take some time to break it in.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
I was a die-hard glove shooter for the last 12 years or more.  I'd tried different tabs, because of release problems, but I had the same excuses--didn't feel right, couldn't feel the string, not enough control, etc. etc. etc.

A friend gave me a Cavilier Elite (he's a dang good shot and I was asking him for advice).  I said I'd try it.  It hung in my shop for a while (it was hunting season and I wasn't going to start changing horses mid-stream), but I finally decided to give it a try.

First impressions--release was very much improved, but all the other things I hated about a tab were there.  I almost quit, but my friend had told me "shooting with a tab is a commitment".  Since he can shoot circles around most folks, I stuck with it.

After a few weeks I'm comfortable with it.  I still get a flyer once in a while, but that's happening less and less.  I don't feel my consistency is quite up to what I was getting with a glove, but considering I'm still getting used to it after many years with a glove, I'm not going to give it up just yet.

One thing I've noticed is I still get a very quiet shot with this tab (before they were noisy).  My release is way better than I got with a glove, and I won't have to deal with a soaking wet with sweat glove shooting tournaments this summer (or when deer season opens--still dang hot in MS).

I know there's no one perfect tool for everyone in this sport, but I'm becoming a convert to a tab--the Cavalier Elite anyway.  As I understand it, this is the tab that a big majority of the serious IBO archers use as well.

One other thing--I ditched the finger spacer even though I shoot split--it's in the way.  I also removed the finger sling adjuster and just tied a knot (the same as the friend who introduced me to it).  Seems to work better.

Chad

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Guys, I have been thinking about trying one lately as well, but I shoot 3 under and was wondering if the Cavalier Elite would still work well for me, or should I just buy one of the cordovan ones made for 3 under?
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
I have to use a tab.. glove makes my index finger cuticles hurt so bad I cant use it
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Does anyone go back and forth without really seeing any difference? Years ago I shot a tab with my compound before releases. When I got back into trad I tried a glove and liked it. Shot that for a year & for kicks I busted out the tab again. Didn't really notice any difference. I may have a little better feel with the tab, but my accuracy seems about the same. And honestly one doesn't stand out over the other.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
I have tried both, but use a thin Damascus glove exclusively now.  Tabs always slap me in the lip for some reason.  Doesn't sound like much, but I can promise it hurts after a few shots!  Also, I can't feel my middle finger in the corner of my mouth with a tab.  If I did try another one, it would be the Cavalier Elite tab.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Been shooting a tab forever, tried a glove but just didn't like the feel.  I'm using a skookum right now and gettting used to it.  The cavalier is nearly impossible to beat-a bazillion Olympic recurve shooters can't be wrong.   :thumbsup:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©