3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just When You Thought It Was Over.....  (Read 4678 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just When You Thought It Was Over.....
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:59 AM »
I'm getting ready. I'll get to hunt a bit between the 15th and Christmas Day. With any luck those 10 days won't be rainy. It has been a very rainy fall here so far, and I have had to sit at home too many days.

I won't hunt in the rain or with rain on the way in. A washed-away blood trail is not a good experience. Snow, on the other hand...now that's nice.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2018, 03:05:41 PM »
Hey Roger. Just curious. Are you using a GFA shoulder/side quiver. I've never been a bow quiver guy and thought his quiver is a great alternative.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »
Vestry,
Roger uses Fred’s quiver.  I use something real similar that Ron LaClair has made for him by Art Vincent at Cedar Ridge Leatherwork and this style of quiver is fantastic.  I don’t like a quiver on my longbows (but don’t mind on recurves).  The Asbell quiver is really a quality piece of equipment.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2018, 05:03:04 PM »
Hey Roger. Just curious. Are you using a GFA shoulder/side quiver. I've never been a bow quiver guy and thought his quiver is a great alternative.

Yessir, I have used a GFA quiver since he brought them out. I have 2 or 3, but I still use the original one as my main quiver. Very durable.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline LUNGBUSTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »
Looking forward to getting out. Haven’t seen much in a while. Lots of pressure. And the deer may be pretty spooked on the public ground I’m on post firearm season. Thinking I’ll be doing some stillhinting and see what comes of it.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 10:48:33 PM »
I haven't missed a late season in years...I love how quiet the woods are in late December and I have the place to myself mostly.

Online twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »
I'm in. Turkeys this morning and a antlerless tag starts Saturday.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
It's Asbell's wool over wool for me in the late season

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
Patient and scrutinizing scouting today revealed the identification of two areas which appear significantly hotter than any of the multitude of ground sets currently in place.

Credit the fortuitous findings to going back to patterning deer primarily based on terrain.

The season is about to begin
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline yimbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2018, 10:24:32 PM »
Had a fresh snow Sunday night. I found where a bunch of turkeys were feeding in a standing corn food plot so I set my ground blind up.  Tuesday morning I was waiting. 6 birds fed in the corn but stayed about 40 yds away. This morning I was there again. About a dozen hens and poults and 3 longbeards in easy shotgun range, still in the corn. I moved the blind into the corn. If they come tomorrow and don’t get spooked I’ll have them at 5-10 yds. When I got home I got out a chair and practiced a little bit. I’ll be there in the morning and keep you posted. I’m not waiting for a Tom. I never shot a turkey with the bow so the first one there is in danger.

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2018, 05:40:43 AM »
So ready.

My Asbell Full Zip hooded jacket is strapped to my pack.  It goes on when I get to my spot.  Wool layered over wool.  I was closer to hot, quite a ways from cold yesterday.

A Timber Ghost Pathfinder is on my Kzoo shopping list.

Deer moved late.  Cam in just at last legal light, but they stuck out like sore thumbs.  Watched their silhouettes and heard them crunch on acorns at 10yards for 45min til they finally meandered off to the next oak.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:52:16 AM by gvdocholiday »
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »
Where I live [AZ] the late season really gets started in Jan.  That is when the Coues rut starts, the muley rut is starting to taper off.  The best weather to hunt in.  We get some rain.  Rain=quiet walking  The Javi season starts then as well.  Its not often we get a double season anymore.  My favorite time to hunt.  Good luck to you all.

MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline yimbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
I was there this morning. 6 birds showed up but I think they were a little leery of the blind. They stayed about 20 yds away on the edge of the the corn. Dang! I left the blind there so they can get used to it. It’s gonna get really cold for a few days so I won’t be back til the big chill is done, but it’s not over yet!

Offline Dennis Allan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 12:44:08 AM »
Yimbow
   Stay with it sir. Turkey with a bow is never easy. Been at it for 20+ year's. With that said, something is making them Leary. It's not the blind. Movement in the blind, a reflection, light behind you. Something to think about. I personally have never seen a turkey even acknowledge the blind was Eve there. I set them in the dark, middle of a field. Watch them fly down into the decoys. 10 yds from the blind.
      I would look at the details. Hopefully this helps. Thanks
           Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©