3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gonna give it another try...........  (Read 216 times)

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
Gonna give it another try...........
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »
Hello, well to make a long story short I have not properly pulled a string in years. For the last seven years I have had increased problems with my back. A couple car wrecks (arthritis) and a slight curviture of my back.Now, I started shooting a kid size long bow when I was four. As I grew up I got a compound and then eventually got a takedown recurve. Now, all the doctor can say is take some of these.... but no help on the string pulling. When I pull the reurve or compound I have back I feel a sharp intense pain and the muscles between my shoulder blades start to spasm. I know this is a traditional bow forum but I have to admit I went and shot a Mathews compound... and I could shoot it   ;)  Unfortunately it just does not light my fire anymore. I did the compound thing years ago.... the traditional thing has me bad   :)  Now I am not writing this for sympathy or anything like that. I would hope maybe a few of you might have some suggestions about how I could possibly strengthen my back up so I could pull the traditional string again. I am about to finish my apprenticeship and would like to order a nice custom longbow or recurve and do some serious shooting again. And before anyone ask, I tried the doctors dope and it did nothing to help me so I will not go that way   :archer:    Thanks in advance,  Craig
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gonna give it another try...........
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
How much weight can you pull before the pain begins? I would think if you start light and gradually build up in weight, your shoulders will strengthen.
Either way, good luck. Im sure someone who can help more will be along shortly.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Hello,with my old compound I pull about 37 #'s and my back goes whacky. My recurve (   :)   ) is right around 50 #'s and it hurts........ Thanks,  Craig
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
Craig
I have been avoiding back surgery for herniated discs this year by going to physical therapy. The word I get from the PT is this - if it hurts, but doesn't get worse after, go for it. If it gets worse from the movement, back off. The pain from my injury feels like a muscle cramp in my legs. Actually, my leg muscles are fine, it is only a phantom pain from my L5 disc hitting a sciatic nerve. In your case it sounds like your injury is higher.
My doctor steered me to a great physical therapist, and if your insurance covers it, it is worth a try. Mine encouraged me to use my bow, and so far, so good.
In my case, he told me that the movement was good, sort of a "no pain no gain" scenario. As long as there is no weakness or numbness, it is just a matter of ignoring the pain.
Good luck on your recovery, and you might want to be referred to a neurologist or spinal surgeon by your family doctor. You will also learn a lot by talking to other people going through physical therapy.
(Also there is no shame in using a 30# recurve to perfect your form until you can heal a bit more.)

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks   ;)
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©