3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do It Yourself Elk Hunt  (Read 544 times)

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
Do It Yourself Elk Hunt
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Fur Fish & Game Magazine ran an article about a do-it-yourself Elk hunt for around $1200 apiece for 4 guys. This was hunting public land etc.
I was wondering if anyone here had done that type of hunt and what your experience was. I'd like to read your stories.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do It Yourself Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Yankee, It can be done. I have done it twice in Colorado. I do have a friend out there that had the camping gear and knew the area's but I feel confident that I could do it on my own. There is lots of public land just do a little homework. I am going to go out again in the near future my den needs another elk rack.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I do it every year   :biglaugh:  It's what I think about all the time and the hunt I enjoy most. Some people live to sit in a whitetail stand, and I live to chase elk in the mountains.

You're on the right track here because I know people on this site are a tremendous resource. Montana's not an OTC state so it's hard to plan anything too far in advance for out here. If there's anything I can do to help you out, just let me know.
Is it September yet?!

Offline elkkrazy8

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
i do it about every year,thats a little more than i spend.theres nothing more rewarding than a diy hunt out west.If you happen to get oneits a bonus. Just being in the mountains for a week is amazing in it self.
                    Bill

Offline BrianP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
I recommend pack-in hunts.  There are several outfitters that pack-in groups on horses and mules in Washington, Idaho, and Oregon.  Alot of the areas are OTC tags and the packer can help you out with info.

I have several reasons to hire a packer.

1.  Get away from the road hunters...I mean get away!!!
2.  I will only pack-in to a designated wilderness area...nothing like it if you haven't been.
3.  Always nice to see more game than people.
4.  Ever been in a camp when more than one person gets an elk down?  I like the packers that tell me to just dress and quarter, bag it, hang it in the nearest tree...they come in and pick it up from there.
5.  If you get hurt, you're a sat phone or cell phone call away from much needed help.

Most pack-ins are $500-$1000 with full camp gear supplied (sometimes already set-up for you).  With gas going $4 a gallon soon and depending where you live, the further west you go, the more you will spend.  If I was going to spend much on gas, I would spend a bit more on a packer...just me.

Brian

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 01:51:00 AM »
I too read all the articles that come out in the various hunting magazines.  Someday I would love to get a trip together with some friends and try it.  The thing that concerns me is having the kind of trip a local archery shop owner has.  He has been going to Colorado every year for the last 12 years on a DIY elk hunt.  I think he has a couple of buddies that go with him and they stay in the woods.  When I asked him how he does, he told me that in all that time he has only seen 2 Elk and never got a shot at one.  Now I can totally understand coming out and not seeing one your first time, but after 10 or 12 years?
The Tred Barta show done a show on DIY Elk hunts in Colorado.  I believe they went right outside of Vail.  He showed the multi-million dollar homes and talked about how most of them have to grant access to the public land that is around them.  They went to the county offices and Wildlife Agency HQ and got maps and access points, they were pretty helpful to him.  He ended up seeing one but didn't get a shot.  In the end he talked about how great it was to be able to hunt public land that sits up against a hunting camp that charges $8,000 to hunt.  They talked about the success rate for bowhunters in Colorado is 15% or less.
I can definitely see where it would be doable, but it seems like it would be a lot of work and research or else you'd end up like my archery shop owner does every year.  I couldn't take having that kind of trip year in and year out.

Nala

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
I figure $600 or so for expenses plus $600 for tags for my Idaho trip.  But I have a friend that lives there so I don't have to rent a car.  It's a bit cheaper if you drive, depending on distance, vehicle and how many ways you split.  That's for a backback, bivy style hunt on public ground.  Utah's tags are cheaper so knock a couple hundred off for that and you can do it for under a grand if you drive.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 10:43:00 AM »
I've done two DIY trips I scored on one trip and my buddy scored on both.  On the one trip I didn't score I had close calls on elk and bear.  Brianp is right on about the packer you'll end up saving time and more meat.  The last trip I did was in 02 and it cost about 1200.00 a man.   Lost of land out there do your research and and give yourself adequate time.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
The last 2 I have done have been under a grand. Includes tags/food for 12 days/gas etc. This does not include the price of tents and equipment. It can be done and is a great time. I even had the chance to miss a bull on the first day last time!!!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I do DIY hunts every year.  Luckily most instate. Washington.
However, I have done a few to Idaho and Montana.  The Idaho hunts were great. We were able to drive to where the gates were closed and hike in.  We came out every night. It was 2 hours up every morning and again out at night.  But no water at the top and warm weather. It wasn't a good idea to try to stay the night as it got to freezing at night.  Having to carry all the gear and enough water would have been tough.
We did see elk, bear, moose, cougar, sheep, deer and lots of grouse.  Our camp of 5 got 2 bulls the first year and none the next, but saw more 2nd year.
In montana we relied a local gun hunter ( brother of one of us)for information  and saw no elk. Camped in a pretty spot at about 8500'. But no elk.

This year I checked where the most elk have been havested in WA ( mostly during gun season)and hunted there.  A few folks in there opening and then there was only a couple of us in the whole area.  Got a bull too. Saw deer, bear, porcupines, some beautiful meadows and riverbottoms.  Camped in a campground with my wife and even came out at noon and went shopping with her some days.

I say all that to say that sometimes getting back in there is only for that particular scenery.  The hunting can be great without the dramatics or expense of trying to get back in as far as possible.  And there can be some impressive scenery as well.

Just a thought.

BigArcher

Offline Okie 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
I've been hunting elk since 1990, DIY style, and have yet to spent over $800.00 on gas food and tags. If your flying in, may be more. Do lots of research , get in shape and have fun.

John
Take a kid hunt'n. (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old?!) Bear Creek Selfbows

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »
I've done two DIY elk hunts to Idaho, a high country mule deer hunt in Oregon, and an elk in Montana this year.  Deer hunt was much cheaper because of the tag, but both elk hunter were under 1200, the Montana might be about 1400 depending on gas prices.  All public land hunts, very easy to do.  Pretty easy to do. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
One other questions I have about the hike in DIY hunts.  Where do you get your water from?  It would be horrible to try and carry enough water for 3 or 4 people for the time they are going to be there.  That's not even taking into account the food you are gonna need.  Do you rely on a stream and water purification tablets?

Nala

Offline LJOHNS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
I have been wanting to do a DIY elk hunt for years now.  I finally get an extra week of vacation next year so it might finally happen.  Could any of you give me a good reference for a pack-in outfitter in Idaho?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »
Nala, in many areas of the mountains water is fairly available.  Definately something that must be taken into account, but very possible to do with a water filter.  

DIY elk hunts can be great!  I think the key ingredient is in the planning.  The more preplanning you do the better the hunt will be.  Talk to as many people as you can.  Study statistics.  Get away from the crowds.  Learn all you can about elk.  But heck, planning is half the fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
Our non-res license fee starts at 394.20 for elk or deer and can run as high as 722.70 for elk deer bear and cougar combo.There are miles and miles of public land here in Washington thats great for the DIY elk hunter.Rocky Mountian or Roosevelt elk.You can buy a NR tag for eather one you choose to hunt..At our camp water is 30 miles each way.But thats also part of the hunting trip....But as whip and some of the guy's mentioned....Do your homework.If your gonna use a guide,really research him good too.If you ever do get the chance,you should give it a try.bowdoc

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
A do it yourself hunt is very doable and can be very successful.  You need to do some homework, both in terms of where to go, how to hunt, and what gear might be needed.

All that information is available via this site (help or directions from the Gang) and the internet.  Nala...  if you really want to go, you can and should.  Gas will probably never get cheaper. Tags will probably never get cheaper. We will probably never get younger.

Just make up your mind and do it.  

Colorado has, in recent years, had cow tags available for half the price of an either sex.  Now sure, that means no antlers, but it doesn't mean easy and it doesn't mean you won't SEE and hear all the same stuff you woould if you had a bull tag in your pocket.  Being up in the mountains is really something else.  

Course... that said, there are already too many people coming over there.  Maybe you better stay home after all .    :bigsmyl:  

Give a yell if you want some tips to get you started on planning a reasonable trip.
ChuckC

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
I have been on many DIY elk hunts but haven't gone in a number of years now. They were fun trips and I have many fond memories from them. My friends and I have done it different ways. We have backpacked in with all our gear and we have used the services of an outfitter for a drop camp. We have hauled elk out on our backs and hired a packer to take them out on a pack animal. At the very least I would suggest doing that.

Myself, I wouldn't go on a DIY elk hunt for less than ten hunting days. But, if you only have a week that is better than not going at all. If someone in your party shoots an elk everyone in that party is going to give up time from their hunt helping get that animal taken care of unless you use a packer. If they didn't want to help I wouldn't be hunting with them. I've been on some very enjoyable and successful DIY elk hunts. Over one three year period our party went ten for eleven.

Here's a picture from one of those trips.

Jack Shanks

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I only do DYI hunts.  Been doing them for 30 years.  Good advice already given.  The biggest obstacle now, particularly in states where you can buy over the counter licenses, is hunter density.  Wherever it's easy for you to get, it's easy for all the other do it yourselfers to get as well.  Unless you can hook up with a local who might know of some out of the way spots, almost have to pack in nowdays to get away from the crowds, ATVs, trail bikes, etc.  Good luck.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Of course a DIY hunt is possible.  Anything is possible.  But what you need to ask yourself is what you want to get out of your hunt.  What makes a successful hunt for you?  Is this a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for you or do you plan on making this a regular experience(most likely the case once you've been the first time)?

In my opinion coming from NY is a damn long way to travel to not see any elk.  Get into the right areas and you should see elk if not get at least one shot opportunity.  I've been to Colorado 6 or 7 times now and have always had opportunities.  ALWAYS!!!  However, I know guys that have gone many more times than I and have never had any success whatsoever.  Hmmmm....seems to me their doing something wrong.  

For your first trip...I highly recommend you hire an outfitter to at least haul you in and drop you off in elk country....which BTW can change from week to week.  Pick his brain on the ride in and get him to point out likely spots on a topo.  It's money well spent and will save you a lot of heartache.

PM me if you'd like to talk more.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©