3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eastern Hunts For Western Hunters  (Read 680 times)

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
Eastern Hunts For Western Hunters
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
We often read about Eastern hunters heading off to Colorado or New Mexico for an elk hunt but I never hear of anyone coming east from out west to hunt whitetails or turkeys. Have you? Have you ever done it? There is some spectacular country this side of the Mississippi River.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Basic Instinct

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eastern Hunts For Western Hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
No!! But it's about time we start shooting up some of your game like you guys do ours. wish I could get on some whitetails sometime
Rejoice in the lord always, And again I say Rejoice.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Oh yeah !  I grew up ~80 miles south of you in Allegany Co, game unit 9Y, have gone back to see family during WT season most years in the last 15 or so, missed a lot of years before that.  Great deer hunting.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Plumbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
I haven't hunted back in New England since 88'. I would sure like to go back and roam those hardwood forests again sometime.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
I think us New Yorkers need to start posting on the trade a hunt forum....  :goldtooth:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
One of my longtime dream hunts is to canoe the Allagash Wilderness Waterway for Moose in northern Maine. Man! I know the bulls aren't as big as AK/yukon, and the country isn't as vast, but I think it would be a great time.

It's just so hard to draw a tag!   :D   'Probly don't hear to many Montanans complaining about tag odds on the east coast, do you?
Is it September yet?!

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
I live in Washington now but am from Michigan.  I go back occasionally to hunt deer and squirrels. I love hunting white tails in the oak forests.
Fortunately elk season is in Sept here which leaves Oct open for hunting back east if the stars line up.
Last Nov I got sent back to Sarnia, Ont to get some training on a new analyzer for the refinery and thats just across the boarder from Mi so I got to get in a couple of weekends of deer hunting.
Got some good info from folk on the net to find a spot to hunt.

BigArcher

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
Don't know if I qualify for out west or not  :goldtooth:  

Oklahoma for Turkeys, Ohio for Deer, Georgia for Deer, Hogs, BIG Snakes and FOOD  Missouri for Turkeys and Deer this year I HOPE! I hunt Flea markets in North Caroline when time allows.

Does that Count???

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:40:00 AM »
I have never hunted east, just in "my back yard", the White River national forest and the Route national forest. I have been wanting to go southeast for the hogs, I would love a chance at some of the whitetail and turkey I keep hearing about and to go up into the northeast for bear would be very exciting. Right now my priorities are staying close while I still have one daughter at home. As long as I stay in "my back yard" I can always take her up on the weekends. I would be willing to show some people what I know about the country I hunt in if anyone can make it over here. Usually hunt area 12. Only about 45 minutes from my home. If I hunt OTC units it will be 42 or 71

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
I have it all to hunt here in Idaho. The only thing I want to go east for is hogs. That looks like so much fun chasing them things in the swamps or any where for that matter. One day I will get down there for some pigs.

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
Everytime I talked to Paul Schafer on the phone he'd say man I'd love to hunt a eastern Whitetail. I wonder if he ever got around to it ? If anyone knows please chime in and let us know.
 I live right next to a 2000 more or less acre WMA here in Kentucky and it is barely hunted after the first couple of weeks of bow season.
 I've always hoped to have time to invite some of you western fellers out here to hunt, maybe oneday. I grew up on it trapping and coon hunt'in and know every rock on it. Ive seen some monster bucks at night there while chasing the coon hounds.
                Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Minnesota is a real sleeper for black bear. I get one every year averaging over 200# with some over 300#.

We get plenty of non residents from WI, IN, IA, and IL.

I wouldn't say MN is all that great for whitetails, but the boys next door in WI have TONS!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
It's no fun hunting here in the East, better stay out West.    :goldtooth:     :biglaugh:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
We have tons of turkeys out here, but im 50 and have never seen a whitetail in my life, going to have to change that one day.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »
Nope, no deer here either Jerry.  :goldtooth:  

"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
It's truely sad for some of guy's out west.Washington State we can only hunt Mulie's Whitetail Blacktail deer plus a subspieces Cascade Blacktail deer Black Bears Rockey Mountian & Roosevelt elk Cougars and 3 kinds of Turkeys plus all small game like rabbits coyotes fox grouse and Bobcats.Here we can also apply for permits....Big Horn Sheep Mountian Goats and Moose...I really never seen any reason to leave home..although...I have never been drawn for MG BHS or Moose.However I do travel to NY,but then from there to Que'bec....for spring bear hunting.I would like to add although not ever being drawn for one of those permits...I have seen all those big game animals in the wild and most within bow range.....one of these days...oh man one of these days.....bowdoc

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »
Colt - SSSSHHHHH!   :thumbsup:

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
I am from Wisconsin and I can tell you that all of the deer went over the bridge into Minnesota during this past winter. None here at all!
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
For those that have not experienced the Eastern Woods do your selves a favor and partake in an Eastern Hunt.

I will say those boys hunt in some of the noisiest woods in the world   :bigsmyl:  

Akerns droppin,skwerls hoppin in the leaves, Snakes sliding in the leaves, Turkeys makin a racket. Yep when yer done you'll be the new Bobble-Head

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
I'd like to hunt east someday. One thing I've noticed is that the deer seasons are much longer in many of the eastern states. Here in Wyo, we basically have the month of Sept for bowhunting deer & elk. Back east seasons are 3-4 times that long.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©