3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone ever see this happen to Osage Bark?  (Read 601 times)

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone ever see this happen to Osage Bark?
« on: March 29, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

Three staves, all 10 years old. The one on the right has all of it's bark intact. The ones on the left have lost some of their outer bark during various moves and other knocks and scraps. The inner bark on those two has turned black in some places. Does anyone know what this means, or why it turned black?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone ever see this happen to Osage Bark?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
The black is probably a fungi that got into the cambium after the tree was cut, probably during the early stages of seasoning. The heartwood of osage is quite rot resistant so you shouldn't worry about that.  Those look like nice chunks of osage and they are well cured for bow making. How are the growth rings?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
earylwood to latewood ratio are tight on the staves. I'd say the growth tings are 1/8" thick.

I've knocked a little bit of the sapwood off one of them and the heartwood wood appears to be blackened a little bit, but that may sand out. I'll keep working on it and try to post pictures later.

Osage is heartwood at supposed to be resistant to rot, so I'm being optimistic that the wood will still be sound.

side question: can this mold affect other staves if I store them next to my "clean" ones?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Mold spores are prevalent everywhere. There is nothing you can do to eliminate them...or it would have been done long ago for allergy sufferers. Specific fungi have specific hosts that they prefer(or rely on) so what might attack hickory would not necessarily attack osage. Osage can sit on, or in the ground for years and still be good for bow wood after proper drying. Leave a hickory on the ground for 2 weeks under most conditions and the fungi has already started to attack it. That is the job of the fungi.
   I wouldn't worry about the fungi on the osage. Make a bow and if you are worried about the 1/8" rings, back it with raw hide or silk and you should have no problems with it. I have made very good osage bows with very thin ringed osage(perfect ring count for yew). They took a bit of set but are good shooters that I would trust under any conditions. I usually add raw hide backings to thin ringed osage for safety reasons and to make me feel better. Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
I worked both staves down to one growth ring, and they were fine.

one stave had a little of the black stuff on it but it's so slight that it should sand off.

thanks , Pat for your input on this. I got to learn a little today.  :)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »
When we quit learning, its time to give it up!   Have fun.     Pat
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
Shamus -- That was the infamous "Black Curse" that comes to those who put off too long turning good staves into good bows! Your superficial scraping has removed the Curse only temporarily. Beware: Let's see three fine finished selfbows ... before it all turns to discolored dust. (-:  dave

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:35:00 AM »
thats good dave!
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
Dave,

ha ha!

if that mold comes back NOW, I'd be surprised!  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©