3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Budget friendly hunts  (Read 5381 times)

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Budget friendly hunts
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
If I were you I would put off your hunt and start buying gear for DIY adventures now. And start planning that first hunt , will give you plenty of time to go out and test your new gear. With a complete gear bag you could do any hunt you want and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I have done many DIY hunts and have had plenty of success hunting Elk , Bear , Hogs , Muledeer , Whitetail , Antelope , Smallgame , Javelina. I love backcountry backpack hunting , to me the adventure of new places and doing on your own is the best. I might not kill the biggest trophy animals but I always have a great time kill or no kill. Would be happy to help you along with gear selection and setting up your first hunt..

,,,Sam,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
You already heard from two my hunting partners, Jeff Holchin and Dalton Lewis. They are right, the PBS has opened up many opportunities for myself, I have had many invites but just do not have the time from work. Whatever you choose, do something out of your Normal. I really like going and hunting different areas and terrain whether it be Georgia swamps or Alaskan Tundra. I would do an over the counter DIY elk hunt like Sam suggested.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2018, 08:36:58 AM »
We have done many DIY Colorado Elk bowhunts over the last few years. We usually use 2 weeks vacation and hunt 9-10 days. Our average cost when flying, renting SUVs and camping run about $1700 - $2100. Last year we drove, (34 hours) used 2 hotels on each end on travel and camped. Total expenses where $1200. You are basically a one day drive away. Budget about $250 to process each animal.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »
bps requires some membership criteria  to qualify for membership. one thing is to have taken 8 game animals and be sponsred by membersome other criteria to become regular member, so likely out of reach for some of us.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:17:57 AM by Hummer3T »
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 10:30:29 AM »
There are plenty of good opportunities within reach. Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana all have lots of public land that can be easily hunted with the gear you have now. All you'll need is a cheap motel, fuel, food, tag and ambition.  Or a truck with a topper or tent with a sleeping bag. The latter would probably only cost in the area of $5-600 total. A week in any of these states will likely show you a buck that will amaze you.  I would plan one for this coming year and you'll see what you need for future hunts and go from there.  You never get any younger and each year you wait is one lost.  Hell I've driven that far just to go to a trad shoot.  Just Do It.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
I love it that you got this many replies, and that you have all these options. If you come into some cash real soon, join us early February in Texas where you can go on a hog hunt / javelina hunt with several of those dragons we have an opening or two. Best of luck to you either way you need to make sure you get out and Hunt if that's your passion.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 03:18:50 PM »
bps requires some membership criteria  to qualify for membership. one thing is to have taken 8 game animals and be sponsred by membersome other criteria to become regular member, so likely out of reach for some of us.

Actually, there are no harvest requirements or sponsorships needed to join as an associate member of PBS and participate in membership hunts.  Check out the PBS website and click the membership tab for details.   :archer:
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline Fishinglink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »
Well guys I firstly want to say that since joining this website, and also the traditional world, that I am blown away by the friendliness. Whether here or via pm all these options are almost mind boggling. I was hoping for a one hunt answer lol. Instead I have been shown a world of resources I had no clue existed.

At this point step one will be joining PBS. Step two is a good compass (thanks Sam for the suggestion) and a new gps unit. I am going to sit down and compile what exactly I want from my experience. Once I have my wants narrowed down then I can get a plan and equipment list together.

If when this comes to fruition and it happens that I am in the vicinity of any one here, there will be an open seat around my campfire. For a new trad Hunter this site has been invaluable and the trad community is so inviting as a whole.

Thanks for everything this far!
Cody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »

Actually, there are no harvest requirements or sponsorships needed to join as an associate member of PBS and participate in membership hunts.  Check out the PBS website and click the membership tab for details.   :archer:
[/quote

I guess I got the regular membership requirements mixed up with associate requirement.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
Don't give up on a DIY backpack elk hunt.  I have done 7 (CO, UT, ID) of these and travel and tag are less than $1000 if you drive a reasonable vehicle and split it with someone.  No hotels, cheap food.  You are likely to have a great experience but not terribly likely to kill an elk.  Gear wise, I've made due with my whitetail hunting gear a $70 homemade silnylon tarp, $100 pack and a $80 bag.  These have been the best hunts of my life without ever killing an elk.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2018, 02:19:53 PM »
Man there is soooo much you can get out and do for the price.  Like other have said, tag soup is a very realistic thing but the adventure is where it's at.

Just go do it.  No time will ever be perfect and no matter the planning, the narrative will change.  I have done antelope, elk, mulies, hogs outside of my normal whitetail.  None of which was I successfull besides many whitetail and hogs, but man what a ride.
If I had to pick one for the most laid back fun that wasn't a backpack hunt, it would be hogs.  Most of the time, game rich environments and relaxed "fun" for me.  Most bang for your buck in my opinion if I'm paying for a ranch type hunt.  DIY elk/mulies if I'm looking for backpack style.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2018, 08:13:00 PM »
Hey Cody, I know it's short notice, but we can fit you in on our Texas Hog/Javalina hunt the first week in February if you are interested....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Fishinglink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2018, 09:33:24 PM »
Hey Cody, I know it's short notice, but we can fit you in on our Texas Hog/Javalina hunt the first week in February if you are interested....

Hey thanks for the invite and as much as I’d love to go I unfortunately can’t get the time off work.  I’ll definitely keep it in mind for the future though.

Cody

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
While you said "not Canada", you can do a guided (semi-guided anyway) for around $1500 plus tags (maybe another $250) in Ontario.  Check out Pine Acres and Highwind Lake (I can recommend both, fishing is outstanding at Highwind right at your door).

Say you want to hunt elk and decide a DIY over the counter hunt in Colorado is for you.  Most everything you already own should be good enough for a week or two.  If you decide this is for you you can upgrade gradually over years.  I use a 40 year old Kelty backpack (external frame), wool clothing from Goodwill, etc.  You don't need to break the bank for a comfortable hunt.  Most of us started out with baby steps and went from there.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
You may want to consider an antelope hunt in Wyoming.  Reasonably priced and with an outfitter, you still have to draw for a tag, but almost certain to get one.  Be sure to clearly advise any outfitter you shoot a stickbow.  My experience was that most cater to compounds with longer shots but there are those that cater to stickbows both spot and stalk as well as blind hunting.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
Hi Cody,
If you ever want to chat out some ideas and options just let me know, we can grab a cup of coffee in Spring Lake or Allendale.
Thom

Offline Fishinglink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »
Hi Cody,
If you ever want to chat out some ideas and options just let me know, we can grab a cup of coffee in Spring Lake or Allendale.
Thom

Pm inbound

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©