3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching choice dilemma  (Read 5461 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching choice dilemma
« on: December 16, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
Im getting ready to refletch some arrows and ive found myself in a bit of a dilemma of trying to figureout what fletch to use. While the choice is normally easy as i just grab some 4.5" ozark feathers out of my stock pile i dont have that luxury as my dog decided to eat the box which contained roughly 1000 feathers. Now ive got to buy feathers for the first time in a good while and i cant make up my mind. Im in a debate between 4 fletch 3" parabolic or 3 fletch banana cut. Which do you all prefer, 3 longer feathers or 4 shorter feathers.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching choice dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 10:25:21 AM »
If these are for target use, it really doesn't matter provided that your arrows are reasonably well tuned.  I would go with the smallest and lowest profile feathers that will correct any wobbles you might have.

For hunting, assuming you're using a fixed blade broadhead, you need a little more control.  I would say 4.5” is minimum, with 5” being better, with a reasonably high profile.  I've never noticed any difference between 3 and 4 fletch.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:00:22 AM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Stunchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
I don’t have experience with the exact options you mention but I have gone back and forth between 3 and 4 fletched arrows using only 4” shield cut feathers. 

I have found I like 3 feathers better.  I don’t notice any difference in flight (under 30 yards).  3 is quicker and cheaper to set up.  Arrows with 3 feathers will bunch up together much more compactly in a quiver.  Also, with 3 you don’t need to have conversations about why you have 4 feathers every time you shoot with someone new. 

The only positive I have found for 4 is that they are more visible, both in the air and on the ground.  Other things I’ve heard people say in favor of 4 is that you don’t have to worry about where the cock feather goes (not something that affects me) and it will straighten out an arrow quicker after a poor release  (I have not noticed this).

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 11:13:41 AM »
Fletching delimma?  Surely not!!!! Say it isn't so!!!

My hunting style doesn't allow me to have the perfect backyard shot every single time. I have to manufacture shots in the field. Therefore, I use 5 inch four fletch.

This format gives me more stability, more visibility, and an overall more forgiving Arrow. It takes the worry of feathers out of the equation.

I never lost an animal tbecsuse my feather choice, which some will lead you to believe in their defense of feather choice. Just put enough feather on there and forget about it ...it's bow hunting.

And before you hear the words down range and the loss of 1.5 feet per second....

Downrange comments belong on a rifle forum.

If you need 1.5 more feet per second to kill an animal, you need to be on a rifle forum
  :biglaugh:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »
I will agree McDave for the most part. I use 4 fletch just for the fact that I like to pull an arrow out of the quiver, knock and shoot with out a care about cock feather.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:48:15 AM »
Fletching delimma?  Surely not!!!! Say it isn't so!!!

My hunting style doesn't allow me to have the perfect backyard shot every single time. I have to manufacture shots in the field. Therefore, I use 5 inch four fletch.

This format gives me more stability, more visibility, and an overall more forgiving Arrow. It takes the worry of feathers out of the equation.

I never lost an animal tbecsuse my feather choice, which some will lead you to believe in their defense of feather choice. Just put enough feather on there and forget about it ...it's bow hunting.

And before you hear the words down range and the loss of 1.5 feet per second....

Downrange comments belong on a rifle forum.

If you need 1.5 more feet per second to kill an animal, you need to be on a rifle forum
  :biglaugh:
2X on that.👍
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 12:48:07 PM »
I'm in the process of switching to four 4-inch fletch from three 5-inch fletch as I refletch or build new arrows. Reason for the change has nothing to do with arrow flight. Both those combinations work well.  However, I burn or chop my own fletches and and commercial turkey feathers are so short nowadays that I can't get two 5-inch fletches out of a feather.  Can usually get two 4-inch fletches. The shorter fletches also give me better feather clearance for the sta-jac arrow holders I have mounted on all my bows.   :goldtooth:

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
Even on very good days, I'm never perfect with my release and, I expect I am less so in a hunting situation.  I want the little extra stability that 4-fletch provides, so I've switched from 3 feathers.  I use the Target Maxx feathers also, with some shield-cuts periodically.  The Ozark feathers are also very simple to cut down to 4" length if you don't want the full 4.5" length.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
Three 5" shield cuts here.  Real tough decision, huh?  :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 04:44:16 PM »
I prefer three 5" shield cut feathers also. They look nice and have performed well for me.
Sam

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
for me and hunting, i want a LOT of steerage from the get-go, so 5-1/2" shield cut feathers and a full helical twist in 3 or 4 fletch.  i like pink feathers, too - goes good with blood red.    :saywhat: 

fletch burning is what i prefer, so i can make fat profiled fletching ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
Nice Rob!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 09:04:54 PM »
Now, I will probably catch some flack but I use what I have on hand.  Different cuts on the same arrow, some are left wing and right wing on the same arrow. I have arrows with 3 different cuts and colors on them.  The 10 ring doesn't care what is sticking out of it.

On my hunting arrows I have more consistency because those usually are not arrows I've had to fix.

Those New York guys are tough on arrows at 3d shoots if you are the first to shoot and your arrows go where they should.  I became cheap in my repairs knowing they were temporary fixes anyway. My score never reflected how ugly my arrows were.

Speaking of which I have a dozen needing some attention.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
I like 3 five inch,4 four inch,and even have some 4 five inch.

I used to worry about fletch orientation. I had to glue some nocks on,and had to readjust them because they set crooked. I didn't get the fletch just right. I've nocked feathers off shooting through cans,some have just fallen off of aluminums. I still shoot all of them,even just the ones with two feathers. I can't tell the difference in flight on any of them.

That said when I go hunting I get them all fixed up and the same,but with a good tuned arrow it doesn't seem to affect the flight with a good release.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
Three 5" shield cuts work great for me.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
i prefer a "fat" shield that's not available commercially and so i get that by twisting up a custom burner wire.  the shape adds more feather to its front end, for added steerage.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 04:57:14 PM »
Whatever works. 3ea 5" feathers are the gold standard for hunting.

If you want high profile feathers, look up Sagittarius Archery. Very good quality and affordable. Their shield is a little goofy looking IMO, but their parabolic are sweet. A little higher profile than most.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 05:26:00 PM »
that's the beauty of a fletch burner - yer in control of the fletch shape.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:12 PM »
I like 4 fletch on my woodies for the simple fact you can get twice as much wear out of feathers.  I generally shoot three fletch burnt high profile 4 or 5" shields on my arrows that have an adjustable nock.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Oscar-eleven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
Use as much feather as you need. I like to tinker and will say that everyone that's posted so far uses more feather than me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©