3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Choice of broadhead?  (Read 5056 times)

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
Choice of broadhead?
« on: December 16, 2018, 02:34:43 PM »
I have been shooting 2 blade 125gr glue on  heads for years, and a short stint with the original 3 blade Woodsman.  I am currently shooting the rest of my supply of (out of production) Magnus classics, Zwickey Eskimos, and single bevel Grizzly.

I need to get another dozen heads for a big game trip in July.  I have seen lots of good comments about the Ace Standard, but am wondering about your thoughts on the following alternatives and staying with 125 grain.

Grizzly double bevel
Zwickey Delta (for a wider cut)
Zwickey No Mercy. 

I like the Grizzly but do find the single bevel challenging, and I was wonder if for the small difference in cost are the other Zwickeys a "better choice?
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Choice of broadhead?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Ace heads, so I'll be off little help on the Zwickey debate. I've just always had excellent luck with the Ace products and seen no reason to switch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
Zwicky Delta is a good head.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »
Both will do the job,Ace sharpen a little easier but think Zwickeys are a little harder,been using Deltas for a lot of years with no problems.We do sell quite a few Aces too.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »
I have used Bear Razorheads, Zwickey Eskimo, and Magnus. I use double bevel heads, because that's what I have had on hand for quite some time. When these run out (if ever), I'll probably try some single bevel models.
Sam

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 05:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  Let me focus my question a little better.  Recognizing that the sharpest edge and best placed shot are imperative and calling this equal:
 are there any significant differences in fight characteristics and in blood trail for recovery (for example the Delta is wider for more cutting and and I have felt  that the Grizzly seemed to have the best flight characteristics)?

arrow30

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »
looks like your shooting about the same weight as me, bow wise.  I have killed a bunch of deer with the no mercy and the delta. you cant go wrong with either one. the delta will make a slightly bigger hole.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
What is your bow weight? Your draw length? And what are you going to be hunting?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bunyan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
I've been shooting bear razorheads and zwickey eskimos lately. They sharpen easy for me. I've tried Simmons interceptors and big sniffers and while I haven't had any problems with flight I just don't get them as sharp as i would like. I have some wood arrows I want to build and depending on what point weight they like I'm either going with some deltas or ace heads. I don't think I'll be disappointed either way.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
Ace is a great broadhead but I prefer Zwickey Deltas. I shoot a Surewood shaft, 55-60lbs spine, 27 7/8" in arrow. My arrows are tipped with a 75 gr woodie weight and Zwickey 4 blade Delta. I shoot a Martin Super Diablo 55#@28in Normally I shoot the 2 blade Deltas but wanted to try the four blades Deltas this past year and like all the Zwickeys, I wasn't disappointed. Zwickeys been around since 1938 for good reason because they work!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 09:34:28 PM »
Ace has been around since 1927

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »
Shoot what ever weight is good for your setup in the Ace Standards.  Tracey and I will be taking them to South Africa on August 31.   No worries on their performance
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
I shot the Zwickey heads for nearly 40 years and have always been pleased with them.  This last trip to Namibia I elected to try the Rocky Mountain Cuttroat single bevel.  Wow, was I surprised.  These heads work great.  They fly perfect and great penetration.  I still have a lot of Zwickey heads and actually left 6 with the outfitter over there as he didn't have any type of broadheads.  I also gave him an extra bow string as he had the bow but no string.  He is set up now as I also gave him 6 arrow shafts.  He shot them while I was there and now he is set to hunt some of his own animals.

If you haven't tried the Cuttroats yet, purchase a half dozen and shoot them for a while.  That is what I did, then followed up with more for the trip.  I was impressed.

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
Friend,

I have been shooting the 150 grain Grizzly double-bevel heads and I like them a lot.  I have them on a cedar  shaft and the whole arrow weighs in at about 640 grains.  I used them for elk and white-tails with my Fox High Sierra bow, 64# @ 29.5".  They fly just like field points for me.  They are tough as nails.  I sharpen them using a Lansky Crock-Stick and it only takes a few minutes to go from the package to shaving sharp.

I don't buy the single bevel hype.  I've been a gun-maker for 30 years and all the woodcarvers out there know that you always have to strike the wire-edge bur off an edge if you want it "scary sharp".   The painted flat side doesn't let you do that.  The Crock-Stick works great for that especially if you have the model that has both the 20 degree holes and the 25 degree holes.  Start with the 20 degree holes and put an edge on with the coarse (black) rods.  then switch to the white rod in the 25 degree holes.  Now stoke with very little pressure about 10 strokes per side.  It will be shaving sharp!  Quick, easy and you can dress up an edge sitting at the mess table in camp.

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 10:46:52 PM »
John, I still hit the back edge. A large single bevel with a small micro bevel. Super super sharp.

And all of those old broadheads are great. They do the job just fine. But they dont hold a candle to cutthroats. If you're doing a hog hunt, sure, go with the cheap old heads. But if your going on an expensive trip, get yourself some solid 1 piece heads like a cutthroat.

I've played with new model Grizzlies & kodiaks and several zwickets. Usually the grind on at least one head per pack is garbage. And I spend hours trying to get them razor sharp.

The grind on the cutthroats is perfect. 5 minutes on a KME, or 30 seconds on a paper wheel and you'll have them shaving.

Or go with Simmons and get a rada. That's a good system too.

I've switched mainly to 3 blade VPAs this year. sharpened on a paper wheel. I like the blood from a 3 blade on deer.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »
I've been bow hunting for 63 years and I've tried just about every broadhead that has come down the pike. I've used 2 blade, 3 blade and 4 blade. I've even killed a couple deer with flint heads. For the price and the quality I like Ace heads a lot and have used them for years. Great steel, easy to sharpen and a tough broadhead that fly's true. IMO you can't ask for more than that from a broadhead.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 09:02:04 PM »
I have been shooting Magnus Mag I and Ribtek, 160 grain heads with good results.  Pass thrus on 200# hogs.  Have ACE in my tackle box but have yet to try them out.  160 grains flys better from my longbows and recurve.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
OK, now I have a problem.  I have been using 125 gr heads forever.  Everyone touts the advantages of a heavier head.  I shoot cedars and have enough to last a few years.  I have never used heavier heads and I need some information as to the effect on my shooting.  Can I just increase the broadhead weight and go shoot, or do I need to make other adjustments like arrow spine, nocking height etc.  I really don't know what to expect.  I am too committed to my current arrow spine and length to change that at this point. Also I don't mind investing a little but I don't want to find that it is money down the drain..

Help with this please

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 10:19:09 PM »
John, I still hit the back edge. A large single bevel with a small micro bevel. Super super sharp.

And all of those old broadheads are great. They do the job just fine. But they dont hold a candle to cutthroats. If you're doing a hog hunt, sure, go with the cheap old heads. But if your going on an expensive trip, get yourself some solid 1 piece heads like a cutthroat.

I've played with new model Grizzlies & kodiaks and several zwickets. Usually the grind on at least one head per pack is garbage. And I spend hours trying to get them razor sharp.

The grind on the cutthroats is perfect. 5 minutes on a KME, or 30 seconds on a paper wheel and you'll have them shaving.

Or go with Simmons and get a rada. That's a good system too.

I've switched mainly to 3 blade VPAs this year. sharpened on a paper wheel. I like the blood from a 3 blade on deer.
I've got some of the Cutthroats and have been less than impressed with blood trails. Love everything else about the heads, but they led me on a protracted tracking job on an elk in Montana this year so i'm going back to the 3 blade VPAs.  Solid made heads for sure,  but I'm not gonna take the chance on that happening again.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 01:15:13 PM »
Wow, that is a surprise with the Cuttroat heads.  I used them in Africa and took 6 animals and all left a blood trail that a blind person could have followed.  The tracker was really impressed with them as well.  4 of the 6 animals were heart shots and the Worthog I cut the throat on and he bled a lot.  Guess everyone has an opinion, but the Cutthroat heads are really built tough and can be made really sharp.  The outfitter in Namibia was also impressed, so I left him some as he is a bow hunter as well.  They have a tough time getting any kind of archery equipment over there.  I also left him a bow string and 6 arrow shafts for him to use.  When I left he was shooting really good with this equipment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©